Author Topic: Acurite 5-in-1 Rain Gauge Accuracy  (Read 5636 times)

Offline ctccbc

• Senior Contributor
  • Acurite 01035, Weather Display
    • Chris Collins Morehead City, NC Weather
Acurite 5-in-1 Rain Gauge Accuracy
« on: August 07, 2012, 09:22:54 PM »
I wanted to give a "shout-out" to the accuracy of the Acurite 5-in-1 rain gauges. This morning, my plastic Cocorahs gauge measured 0.18 and the Acurite measured 0.19. Same sort of thing over the last several rain events, within 0.01 or dead on. Very pleased indeed. Now if we can just get that solar radiation/aspirator fan problem fixed, I think it will be about perfect.

Regards,
Chris Collins
moreheadcityweather.com
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 09:24:28 PM by ctccbc »

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
Re: Acurite 5-in-1 Rain Gauge Accuracy
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 10:38:28 AM »
Thanks for the shout out Chris! We are always working to improve our products- and we love feedback from our group of enthusiasts. We are working on some engineering and design changes to have a different "PRO" version of the 5n1 sensor solar cells and aspirator- feel free to check out and/or join the discussion!

http://support.acurite.com/acurite/topics/aspirating_fan_via_electricity

Thanks,
Ryan

Offline ctccbc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 12:32:46 AM »
Ryan,
Let me know when you have a prototype ready and I'd love to beta test one of the new 5-in-1 with improved solar shield/aspriator. I think it would be especially useful to test it here in a tropical, fairly sunny environment here on the beaches of North Carolina. Thanks again for your excellent product and support.

Chris Colllins
moreheadcityweather.com

Offline Bivman

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 10:03:36 PM »
I'm not real sure of the accuracy of my rain sensor itself, but I am having an issue with the data sent via the internet bridge to backyard weather/wunderground. Since we've been in drought  for so long, I haven't even been able to get any rain readings, but since Isaac has now sent us some rain here in Illinois, I see a problem. My Model 01010 station reports the last rain event at 2.18 inches, while My Backyard Weather reports the same event at 1.83. I watched during the rain-storm, and saw the local screen updating fairly regularly, while My Backyard Weather would miss a tick or two every-so-often. Is this a fixable bug? I also notice using Wireshark, that my bridge is CONSTANTLY sending broadcast ARP requests looking for my router. Most other devices on my network send to the local broadcast address(192.168.1.255), but the bridge sends to full internet broadcast(255.255.255.255). In any case, my router never responds to a full internet broadcast.... Not sure if that is pertinent to the issue, but thought I'd throw that out there...

Thanks,
-Jon

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 09:26:20 AM »
Hey Chris I was wondering if the accuracy was the same for light and heavy rains?

Offline ctccbc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 10:46:10 AM »
Bivman - you really can't trust what it sends to My Backyard Weather. I use Weather Display with a USB-enabled unit and those readings are spot on.

Ocala- it seems better with lighter amounts, sometimes its a little off in really heavy rain.

Chris
moreheadcityweather.com

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 10:22:39 PM »
When the firmware update rolls out for the bridge, the rainfall issue will be fixed.