Author Topic: Use Kevin's SmartHub Reader without bridging network adapters  (Read 7017 times)

Offline WonderWX

Use Kevin's SmartHub Reader without bridging network adapters
« on: December 03, 2016, 10:28:40 AM »
I like more reliable posting to WU and choice of other weather sites from Kevin's program, mix of sensors and offsets, etc.
This might be simpler to set up hardware wise, but is more complicated from network configuration perspective. 
Setup of Kevin's is the same except no step 1 of bridging adapters.
What we want to do is get the SmartHub to get a local IP address when it looks up myacurite instead of the "real" internet address.
The SmartHub needs to receive its DHCP configuration that sets the DNS server to your local router. A lot of routers have options for host overrides, DNS forwarding etc. search for your model to see if it is possible and how to do it.

Redirect the host hubapi.myacurite.com to the local computer running Kevin's software so the SmartHub connects to it.

Ideally, the Windows machine running Kevin's program will not use the local DNS and be able to look up the real internet IP of hubapi.myacurite.com
If that isn't possible, you could use an ip address instead of hubapi.myuacurite.com   in the command below, but the IP may change and you'd have to update your command.

Using ncat from https://nmap.org/ncat/   we can listen on port 80, and then relay it to myacurate.   
In a command prompt, run:
ncat -e "ncat hubapi.myacurite.com 80" -l 80 -k
-l 80  listens on port 80 (http/web)
-k keep listening
-e  executes another ncat command to connect to myacurite to send the data from SmartHub, and receive the response back.

WU should be disabled in MyAcurite and you want to check that the settings have been cleared from your SmartHub by viewing its webpage before starting to send from Kevin's.

It's also possible to use Kevin's without posting to myacurite at all  :eek:. It is again more complicated, but you can avoid forced firmware updates and have more choice about how you use your equipment and data. The average consumer is fine to be locked into Acurite's world, but I think most people coming to this forum want more.

Offline WonderWX

Re: Use Kevin's SmartHub Reader without bridging network adapters
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 09:19:32 AM »
Internet Connection Sharing will also work - without redirecting DNS or any extra programs.
Still requires two network adapters, but is an alternative to bridging in Windows.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 10:35:18 AM »
I'm trying to carefully set this up but have zero expertise in networking. Any advice would be appreciated greatly!

Inside my router-- (D-Link DSL -2750B Wireless Gateway) I get to this page:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Should I create a new static connection here?

Is the device ID on the bottom of the aculink the MAC address? And where would I find the IP address?

I'm trying to carefully set this up but have zero expertise in networking. Any advice would be appreciated greatly!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 10:39:23 AM by BeaverMeadow »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 10:52:23 AM »
You are on the right track.  Give it a name  - "SmartHub"; use an IP address currently not in use, like n.n.n.108; and use the device ID on the bottom of the hub - 12 characters, two at a time. Reboot the router to be sure it sticks - check the same page again.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 11:06:10 AM »
I entered all the info and the router told me the MAC address and IP already exists in the router database which is listed as:

I looked up static lease type in the router manual but this wasn't defined anywhere.

So my router is already seeing the aculink bridge. Hopefully this is a good thing!?

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 11:10:10 AM »
I'm thinking to delete and re-enter the new-host entry so I can rename it correctly to Aculink and then set it to static.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 11:13:48 AM »
And that is why you give it a unique name.  ;)   You will need to disconnect the device (power off), assign a static IP to it and then reattach the device.

Unless of course, checking the box turns the already in use dynamic lease into a static one.  Don't have the manual to tell you for certain.  Try that first I guess.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 11:15:32 AM »
A quick Google search tells me that the second method will convert a dynamic IP to a static one.  Try it.  Of course it will have a crappy name unless you can rename it.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 01:15:54 PM »
I renamed new-host to Aculink and made it static. I ran ncat -e "ncat hubapi.myacurite.com 80" -l 80 -k exactly as written in a command prompt and I get a blinking cursor. I also tried ncat with the aculink ip address but that also just gave me the blinking cursor.

Is the command prompt supposed to just blink? I think there may be some problem with ncat running properly.

I also shut off in myacurite the aculink connection to wu and then looked at the aculink webpage but there were no devices detected.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 01:41:27 PM »
Does it show up in the Dlink router's IP ADDRESS DISTRIBUTION page (like in your first post)?

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 02:00:57 PM »
Before I run ncat it shows up with aculink connection to WU turned on and also when turned off.

When I run ncat (and get the blinking cursor) it is still showing up in Dlink. No change. Is the cursor supposed to just blink? That always indicated to me that the program being run is hanging up.

BTW, ncat is showing up in task manager as a loaded process.

I removed ncat from processes, reloaded it and disconnected the myacurite wu connection. The aculink device is still showing up in Dlink router info and tests okay.

Then I load Kevin's reader and it says Waiting for bridge data. If this takes more than 5 minutes please check whether the correct network device is selected.

I tried the various network devices offered under settings but none seem to connect and show that Kevin's reader is getting any data from the smarthub.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 02:31:38 PM by BeaverMeadow »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 02:41:21 PM »
I do not use Kevin's sw but it sounds like config issue.  Sorry.  Maybe a user of the sw will chime in.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 03:03:28 PM »
Thanks for getting me started on this. Hopefully some other people will have some suggestions.

Offline WonderWX

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 06:06:46 PM »
Hi BeaverMeadow - The key thing with this ncat method is controlling the IP address that the smarthub gets when it looks up hubapi.myacurite.com

Thanks for noting the type of router you have. Being integrated with the DSL hardware and carrier firmware limits your options.  Looking through the manual it  also does not appear that there is DNS forwarding or options for resolving individual host names.  The static DHCP entry is not too useful since you can't control the gateway address or dns server addresses separately.

Without a configurable resolver this method won't work  :-(   You would need a different access point for the extender to connect to. Then you could use Bridging or Internet Connection Sharing.

Offline kevink619

• My G+
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 01:42:38 PM »
I'm currently conducting a beta test of my new Amazon Alexa skill "Personal Weather - Weather Underground PWS".

If you wish to be part of the beta test, please send me a private message with the email address associated with your Alexa device.

Finally, an Alexa skill that pulls the data from your personal weather station via Weather Underground.

Reports current conditions including temperature, humidity, wind speed, wind direction, pressure, rain in the past hour, rain in the past day, and much more. You can ask for all conditions or just a specific condition.

http://kevin-key.blogspot.ca/2017/05/amazon-alexa-skill-beta-test-connect.html

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 06:26:57 PM »
Ideally, the Windows machine running Kevin's program will not use the local DNS and be able to look up the real internet IP of hubapi.myacurite.com

This is the command to do it from a Windows prompt. Commercial site IP addresses rarely change, no need to check it more than one a month.
nslookup hubapi.myacurite.com 8.8.8.8

where 8.8.8.8 is a Google DNS server. You can also use your ISP DNS server.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 06:32:27 PM by dupreezd »
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2017, 06:30:27 PM »
Sorry wrong attachment, here is the right one.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 06:32:02 PM by dupreezd »
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

anything