Author Topic: Battery failures on Vantage Vue?  (Read 166665 times)

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
Re: Battery failures on Vantage Vue?
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 05:14:07 PM »
...thanks for the update to the Davis phone call.  It'll be interesting to see what they actually send you and how you go about changing it out. :shock:

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 05:54:33 PM »
When you take out the old board, look it over carefully.

You can't really see the supercap clearly on the Vue SIM board - the whole board is encapsulated inside its white casing in gel.

I guess I'm going to have to buy one, just to take it apart...... #-o

Thanks for the info.

Offline christophercawley

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 11:13:50 PM »
LOL!  I'll take pics while I have it all tore apart.

I admit I was kinda surprised when he said he'd send me the part, and for me to go ahead and open it up and fix it.  But it's all good....I'm in southeast North Carolina and Davis is in California, I'd rather not take the whole thing down and ship it across the country and then wait and wait and wait......I went to a great bit of trouble with my whole setup, and then 'kissing up' to my wife for where I chose to place the whole outfit (she was somewhat less than excited to see it smack in the middle of the front yard about 7 feet up in the air  :oops:).....

Offline CookevilleWeatherGuy

• Contributor
  • Weather Isn't Climate
    • Cookeville Weather Guy
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
Well, the message is gone. I had planned on calling them the very next day...anyway, I'll keep an eye on it. By the way, got the WeatherLink Data Logger and Software and will install tonight! PUMPED!
Visit my WEATHER Page:
Cookeville Weather Guy

Davis Vantage Vue
VWS 14.01 p46
WU: KTNCOOKE10
SkyWarn Trained Storm Spotter
CoCoRaHS County Coordinator

Offline 4wd

• Forecaster
    • North York Moors weather
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2010, 07:05:30 PM »
Interesting to find this thread on google - I had this low battery message for two evenings last week and was getting worried as it seemed horribly like the known Davis capacitor issue.
However it hasn't done it for a week now so not sure what to make of it.
Interestingly the day it fixed itself was very windy, have to wonder if the buffeting re-established a dodgy electrical connection somewhere.

Also must report disappointment with lack of response from Davis support by email.
You would expect some sort of automated receipt note back if they really couldn't answer your query properly right away.

Offline CapeHazeWX

• Cape Haze, Florida
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2010, 05:23:39 PM »
First post...and back on topic.

I am also having the "Low Battery Transmitter" issue.  Anybody else have an update on how it's being handled?

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2010, 04:43:43 AM »
I am also having the "Low Battery Transmitter" issue.  Anybody else have an update on how it's being handled?

You need to look and see if the transmitter LED on the ISS is flashing continuously or at least flashing from time to time. (It should only flash for a short time - minutes - after the button has been pressed.) If it is flashing unexpectedly then it will be contributing to short battery life and Davis will have a simple fix to suggest.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline 4wd

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
I'm not convinced it is a 'real' low battery issue so much as a problem with monitoring the condition of it.
Some reports suggest fitting a new battery does not stop the warning appearing.

First thing to try seems to be reset the console by going into the set-up sequence and press+hold 'done'.
Next maybe ensure CR123 battery is making good contact both ends, and the battery door is fully latched shut.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2010, 10:30:15 AM »
Certainly there can be a range of reasons as to why the low battery warning appears, which can be any of:

1. A genuine low battery (which is what at least some of the Vue reports to date have been - caused by inappropriate activation of the transmitter LED);

2. Spurious low battery warning, caused eg by bad contacts as suggested;

3. Not realising that - left to its own devices - the warning may not disappear until midnight on the day that it's triggered;
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline CapeHazeWX

• Cape Haze, Florida
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2010, 12:24:24 PM »
On my third battery since 01/11/10.  Went through a series of diagnostics with Davis tech support folks.  The "old" battery is showing 2.96 volts while a brand new one is showing 2.99.  the verdict at this point is that the gold contacts on the ISS board which are visible on the INSIDE, SIDE of the battery compartment, are too close together.  Moisture due to high humidity is shorting the board out and giving a false reading. If so, that is a design flaw which needs to be remedied.  I can't imagine that holding up very long in a marine environment.  

I'm not convinced, because even during low humidty times the low battery indicator remained even when the reading was supposed to "reset" after midnight.  

The Davis solution?  Dielectric grease on the contacts in the battery compartment.  I'll give it a try and see what happens.  However, that's the last time this ISS goes on the tower without being replaced.

Tom, Ira and Edward have all been very helpful and it's kind of refreshing to be able to talk to a human in tech support.  I wish I could have stuck with one of them though.  Ira had indicated a new ISS would be sent out.  Edward decided on the Dielectric grease fix instead.

We shall see.  
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 12:55:12 PM by FortWhiteWX »

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2010, 01:22:50 PM »
...If so, that is a design flaw which needs to be remedied.  I can't imagine that holding up very long in a marine environment.  

This particular issue has already been fixed in current production I believe.

Have you looked for/noticed your ISS LED flashing?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2010, 02:15:50 PM »
Interesting. I've had no problems with mine since I installed it.

Offline CapeHazeWX

• Cape Haze, Florida
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2010, 09:45:22 AM »
...If so, that is a design flaw which needs to be remedied.  I can't imagine that holding up very long in a marine environment.  

This particular issue has already been fixed in current production I believe.

Have you looked for/noticed your ISS LED flashing?

Interesting.  Tom idicated that no change in design was forthcoming.  In reference to the ISS LED light flashing; No it is not flashing continuously...Only if pressed to confirm operation.  Again, the battery does not appear to actually be low in voltage as it tested out at 2.96 volts.

Offline RainmanWeather

• Senior Contributor
    • RainmanWeather
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2010, 10:08:38 PM »

Interesting.  Tom idicated that no change in design was forthcoming.
Maybe not a design change, but I wouldn't be surprised to open up a current production Vue and find that the grease has already been applied.

It looks like this has become an "official" fix from Davis Tech Support, just had the following passed along to me.

Applying Gel to a Vue's Battery Board
Weather Note

Davis has received a handful of reports from the field of Vantage Vue systems reporting "Low Battery on Station X". 

Davis engineers have determined that small amounts of water in a specific location on the Vantage Vue's battery PCBA can cause the system to turn on its green indicator LED and thereby cause a larger than normal current drain that will eventually drain the 3 volt Lithium battery (CR123).  The moisture, whether it is condensation or rain splash, must contact and short the gold programming contacts on the battery PCBA.  See Figure 1.

FIGURE 1

If your system is exhibiting the "low battery" message or an always on, solid green light you can easily resolve the issue by applying the gel on these contacts. 

How do you get this special gel?
You can order it on line here...http://www.super-lube.com/super-lube-anticorrosion-gel-tube-3oz-model-82003-p-16.htm.
or
Contact Davis Technical Support and we'll be happy to send you a tube at no charge.

How to Apply this Gel

First dry and clean the programming contacts thoroughly. You can access these contacts through the battery door without disassembling the entire ISS.  Ensure the ISS is in a location that gets no sunshine on the solar panel then remove the battery overnight to discharge the system of power. This overnight power down is important and clears the fail state from the microprocessor. Smear the gel liberally over all four contacts. 3mm to 6mm thick (1/8" to 1/4") is appropriate  A Q-tip or syringe will work well when applying the gel.  See Figures 2 and 3   Once you have done this you can insert a new, fully charged battery and resume normal operation.

FIGURE 2

FIGURE 3

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2010, 01:28:00 AM »
Not quite sure why the contacts are exposed as nothing appears to make contact with them. That being the case, would it not be better to cover them with a small amount of silicone sealant rather than grease, a more permanent fix.

Alan.
Alan

Offline 4wd

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2010, 05:46:53 AM »
This is interesting, I have been in email contact with support and speculated it was condensation or damp ingress in fog + wind conditions causing it.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2010, 08:35:26 AM »
Not quite sure why the contacts are exposed as nothing appears to make contact with them. That being the case, would it not be better to cover them with a small amount of silicone sealant rather than grease, a more permanent fix.

Alan.

Careful.  Some silicone sealants will damage PCBs.  Read the label.  I have to wonder why such a strange construction though.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline RainmanWeather

• Senior Contributor
    • RainmanWeather
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2010, 08:42:15 AM »
This is interesting, I have been in email contact with support and speculated it was condensation or damp ingress in fog + wind conditions causing it.
That is exactly what they are saying has been happening! and they didn't even give you credit! maybe at least a little grease? :grin:

They are very specific about what to apply so there is likely a reason, I would stick with that. and they are listed as "programming contacts".. imagine that, the possibility of firmware updates for the ISS!

Offline Pick

• My Weather Station
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2010, 10:12:43 AM »
Got mine last November. No problems whatsoever.

Mike
Vantage Vue
Weather Display 10.37O
CoCoRahs FL-AL-17
KFLHIGHS1

Offline 4wd

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2010, 12:07:51 PM »
Got mine last November. No problems whatsoever.
Florida isn't often cold damp and foggy for days on end though  ;)

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2010, 01:49:29 PM »
Thanks for the information!  I got mine last November or December and so far it has been fine. I have some NOS "Conformal Coating" left from the old Motorola Syntor Synthesizer days that we used to coat any opening made in the factory applied sealant. Wonder if maybe it would be better to apply this over the contacts to permanently seal them as already mentioned. The dang stuff was worth a gold mine back in it's day :lol:  If I have troubles I will give that a shot and report back ...but hopefully it'll be awhile before I have troubles :lol:

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2010, 02:06:00 AM »
I emailed Davis two weeks ago regarding this problem, but to-date no reply. I most certainly will not be phoning from the UK!  :shock:

Alan.
Alan

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2010, 10:04:08 AM »
I emailed Davis two weeks ago regarding this problem, but to-date no reply. I most certainly will not be phoning from the UK!  :shock:

Alan.

Perhaps contacting your local distributor would work?

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2010, 02:31:11 PM »

I emailed Davis two weeks ago regarding this problem, but to-date no reply.
Alan.

Thats sort of odd.. They have always replied quickly the few times I have had a reason for support questions.
If you get no replies from them let us know back.. I'll be happy to give em a call on your behalf or whatever like that if it'll help

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2010, 01:47:28 AM »

I emailed Davis two weeks ago regarding this problem, but to-date no reply.
Alan.

Thats sort of odd.. They have always replied quickly the few times I have had a reason for support questions.
If you get no replies from them let us know back.. I'll be happy to give em a call on your behalf or whatever like that if it'll help

Many thanks for the offer Wayne, I'll remember that.  :grin:

Alan
Alan