Author Topic: VP2 Console Messages and Forecasts List  (Read 76743 times)

Offline dcriner

Re: VP2 Console Messages and Forecasts List
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2016, 03:39:55 PM »
Can anyone shed light on the console's purported ability to "learn"? Does it exist? If so, how does it work?
If forecasting could be "learned" by the VP2, I think it would require feedback. For example, if the original forecast is for heavy rain within 4 hours, then conceivably, any actual rain measured, could be used to adjust the forecasting methodology. I doubt that this "learning" capability is built into the console - it would require some pretty fancy programming. And wouldn't Davis be touting the capability in their marketing?

And, some of the built-in forecasts, such as cloudy weather, aren't measured, unless optional solar measurement is added.

I wonder if any perceived forecasting improvement over time is an illusion due to human factors.
Doug

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2016, 03:44:20 PM »
Can anyone shed light on the console's purported ability to "learn"? Does it exist? If so, how does it work?
If forecasting could be "learned" by the VP2, I think it would require feedback. For example, if the original forecast is for heavy rain within 4 hours, then conceivably, any actual rain measured, could be used to adjust the forecasting methodology. I doubt that this "learning" capability is built into the console - it would require some pretty fancy programming. And wouldn't Davis be touting the capability in their marketing?

And, some of the built-in forecasts, such as cloudy weather, aren't measured, unless optional solar measurement is added.

I wonder if any perceived forecasting improvement over time is an illusion due to human factors.
In case you're unaware, you're replying to a 4 1/2 year old thread.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2016, 08:35:15 PM »
How often do people actually press the forecast button on their console to see the forecast? Even though I obviously know it's not extremely accurate (most of the time), I usually look at it everyday, just for the hell of it, and because it's a cool feature.
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2016, 09:09:30 PM »
How often do people actually press the forecast button on their console to see the forecast? Even though I obviously know it's not extremely accurate (most of the time), I usually look at it everyday, just for the hell of it, and because it's a cool feature.
I look at my console maybe once a day, and never at the forecast.  I use my weather computer for the Davis forecast AND other better forecasts...

Paul

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2016, 09:48:02 PM »
In my neck of the woods, the forecast function that the Davis console supplies is at the very least, laughable. Very rarely correct, however, considering all of what it uses for deduction, no surprise. All in all, basically worthless.

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2016, 02:17:21 AM »
I went up on the roof here at work for a few minutes to take a peek.  Got to see the ISS flying over plus a few meteors.  It was starting to get hazy, as there is rain predicted for later today.

If anyone's interested, here's a link to see if the ISS is going to fly over your location and when:

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/index.html

Nice, I have an embed ISS tracker on my website,, it takes a few seconds to load but gives full track around the earth.

http://www.conligwx.org/wxiss.php
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2016, 06:52:12 AM »

Nice, I have an embed ISS tracker on my website,, it takes a few seconds to load but gives full track around the earth.

http://www.conligwx.org/wxiss.php

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

anything