Author Topic: Davis 7714 shield corrosion problems  (Read 805 times)

Offline JCA433

• Contributor
Davis 7714 shield corrosion problems
« on: November 19, 2018, 05:55:26 PM »
It looks like my Davis 7714 shield is finished unfortunately.  What is the problem?  It is not the plastic shield plates as those still appear to look like new even after 4 years in the south Florida sun.  The problem is severe corrosion on the bolts that connect the radiation shield to the mounting bracket.  The corrosion was so bad they just sheared off.  I ordered a new Davis 7714 shield and  may replace those corrosion prone bolts with more corrosion resistant ones.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Davis 7714 shield corrosion problems
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 07:03:43 PM »
Interesting, there are different grades of stainless some are better than others. Only the highest grades of stainless can hold up against saltwater. 
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 07:26:07 PM »
I've never seen a 7714 in person, but the breakdown on-line appears that the bolts are unique, just as the VP2's are. I'm wondering if he'll have to buy these as is from Davis, and if so, perhaps a good "Rust-oleum" type paint will be needed for the bolts.

Offline JCA433

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 08:42:41 PM »
The bolts that connect the radiation shield to the mounting bracket are #8 screws 2.75 inches length.  The Davis 7714 shield only costs $57.00 from Amazon which is a very low price.   I do not know how long this price will last so I bought one,

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 09:17:50 PM »
If that's with free shipping good deal. Scaled instruments sells them little cheaper but doesn't include shipping.
Davis 7714 – Standard Radiation Shield –  ($54.00)
Randy

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 11:53:16 PM »
Used to always rebuild these from scratch straight out of the box for the specific reason mentioned, corrosion especially in salt environments. Apart from the alloy top plate (which can also be etched and painted) the top and bottom bolts in these shields can be easily replaced with all stainless, SS metal threads for the 3 top mounting bolts and SS threaded rod for the bottom 3 plate rods. Only modification required depending on the threaded rod size is to tap the alloy plate threaded nuts.     

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 04:00:38 PM »
...and I usually replace the hex-nuts with SS wing-nuts for easier ON & OFF servicing.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline JCA433

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 09:14:19 PM »
The new 7714 Davis radiation shield arrived today and had time to assemble it and mount outdoors.  I am happy to have it back in service.   As I already mentioned in my first post in this thread the shield plates are in excellent condition with only a few minor scratches so I decided to use the same old top plate again.   I want to see how long it lasts exposed to the sun.   It has already lasted almost 4 years.   The Davis 7714 may not be the best passive shield  but it is very durable and very UV resistant!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 10:40:22 PM »
I decided to use the same old top plate again.   I want to see how long it lasts exposed to the sun.   It has already lasted almost 4 years.   The Davis 7714 may not be the best passive shield  but it is very durable and very UV resistant!
I've never owned a 7714, but from what I've gathered from the forum here, it's quite good. As far as longevity, my 24hr VP2 has been in the Tucson sun for 11 summers and eventually caused the top two 'bowls' over the ISS to get the point they would literally crumble in your hands, so they were replaced last year. The bottom portion of the ISS is still like new.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 01:57:52 PM »
I decided to use the same old top plate again.   I want to see how long it lasts exposed to the sun.   It has already lasted almost 4 years.   The Davis 7714 may not be the best passive shield  but it is very durable and very UV resistant!
I've never owned a 7714, but from what I've gathered from the forum here, it's quite good. As far as longevity, my 24hr VP2 has been in the Tucson sun for 11 summers and eventually caused the top two 'bowls' over the ISS to get the point they would literally crumble in your hands, so they were replaced last year. The bottom portion of the ISS is still like new.

What he ( ) said, only mine lasted only 6 years before crumbling.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 02:05:36 PM »

What he ( ) said, only mine lasted only 6 years before crumbling.
Truth be told, they were ready to go at least a year or two before that, I just babied the daylights outta them til no more.

anything