Author Topic: Yep, Weather underground is pitiful.  (Read 1815 times)

Offline NinnJinn

Yep, Weather underground is pitiful.
« on: December 02, 2017, 09:25:56 PM »
After months of reading rants and raves about how much of a pain WU is....  I am convinced that they have NO CLUE as to what they are doing.

I got my PWS setup and linked to WU last night.

I understand it will take a day or two to get on maps and show up on location searches.

This morning, I woke up to find that I have been given a gold medal thingy for meeting their quality control standards for the last 5 days.  Ok, thats nice. BUT, My PWS hadn't even been active for 12hrs when they gave me the gold medal thingy!!!

And while I am complaining,  When I search for Loogootee, IN it STILL shows info based from an airport over 25miles away like it has for over 2yrs.  However, If I click "change" its a crap shoot on whether my Station name shows up or not.

EDIT:  Was just on WU and noticed they took the gold medal thingy off my page. ;)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 09:30:53 PM by NinnJinn »

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Yep, Weather underground is pitiful.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 05:54:12 AM »
Probably read your post and felt ashamed :D

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 03:05:53 AM »
WU produces their own programming, which is licensed to and aired on NBCUniversal's channel, so maybe that helps  explain why they are dropping or neglecting everything else.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 02:32:50 AM »
Maybe WU's problem is that it has simply been growing too fast to adequately serve its members.  When I started with WU on Christmas Day 2008, my ID number was KOKSTILL4. Now years later in 2017, the newest Stillwater area member is up to KOKSTILL30 as represented by Flying C Ranch in rural north Stillwater.  There's been some dropouts since then, though.  Oklahoma State University  no longer reports.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 09:35:27 AM »
Maybe WU's problem is that it has simply been growing too fast
When I started my IONTARIO226 in 2008 there were 5 WU stations in City of London area.  Now there are 37 showing, and that doesn't even show my Bloomsky IONTARIO1189

Of the eight nearest WU stations to me that I checked 6 are Netatmo in new small lot residential subdivisions.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 10:15:14 AM »
Maybe WU's problem is that it has simply been growing too fast
When I started my IONTARIO226 in 2008 there were 5 WU stations in City of London area.  Now there are 37 showing, and that doesn't even show my Bloomsky IONTARIO1189

Of the eight nearest WU stations to me that I checked 6 are Netatmo in new small lot residential subdivisions.

Enjoy,
Paul
Similar here...when I added  my station to wu in 2009, I was the first Staten Island station...now there are over 20 I counted.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline zroger73

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 10:47:10 AM »
This morning, I woke up to find that I have been given a gold medal thingy for meeting their quality control standards for the last 5 days.  Ok, thats nice. BUT, My PWS hadn't even been active for 12hrs when they gave me the gold medal thingy!!!

I've got the opposite problem. I'll often lose my gold medal despite continuous and accurate reporting that is in agreement with other local stations. Another station a few miles from me reports data that does not agree with the vast majority, yet it always has a gold medal. :)

anything