Author Topic: PHP Parse error  (Read 1865 times)

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
PHP Parse error
« on: November 12, 2017, 01:38:46 PM »
Is there some way to help troubleshoot PHP on a line by line basis to determine where the syntax error may actually be occurring?  My PHP knowledge is pretty well next to none :oops:

I am trying out a new script that decodes METAR http://www.komokaweather.com/weather/metar_display.php
After considerable troubleshooting and changes I am now down to this -
Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/content/96/5379896/html/weather/decodeMETAR.php on line 158
Line 158 is
Code: [Select]
goto function_exit;  If I rem line 158 by ## then encounter -
Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected '[' in /home/content/96/5379896/html/weather/decodeMETAR.php on line 548
Line 548 is
$decodeInfo['PLACE']    = find_aerodrome($decodeInfo['STATION'])['name'];
Some of the errors initially encountered were that my hosting version was PHP v5.4.19 and the script was working in v7 by the developer.  I have updated my version to v5.6.27 but the script is still not running.  I can't upgrade to v7 with GoDaddy until I first change to their cPanel hosting.

Paul

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: PHP Parse error
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 03:30:59 PM »
For the first error, I'd check line 157 for a semicolon termination.

The second error is an odd use.  If the function 'find_aerodrome()' truly returns an keyed array of values, then it might make sense.  Otherwise .. the ['name'] at the end is likely the cause of the syntax error.

Maybe replace the line with
$t= find_aerodrome($decodeInfo['STATION']);
$decodeInfo['PLACE']    = $t['name'];
which would be a customary format (still assuming that the function returns a keyed array, however)
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 05:49:04 PM »
Thanks for comment Ken.
The code before line 158 is
       //================================================//
      // DIAGNOSTIC FUNCTIONALITY for testing            //
    # define error handling for development environment, feel free to comment out (or adjust) next line if you use this script in a production environment
    error_reporting(E_ALL); // show all errors is requested as although there should not be any errors in this finalised script, highlighting any that do occur rather than hiding them shows confidence!

if (!isset($show_diagnostics))$show_diagnostics = false; // calling script can ask for this script to show its workings for diagnostic purposes, but default is no diagnostics

//     Clean up and validate the complete METAR    //
    $cleaned_metar = decodeMETAR_clean ($raw_metar); // call separate pre-process - found in 'decodeMETAR_sub_funct.php' script file

#     Example of minimum length METAR ('Type of Report Group', 'Aerodrome Identity Group', 'Time Group' and 'Identification of an automated or missing report Group'):
        #      Cranfield Airport     01/07/2017 06:50->     
        #      METAR EGTC 010650Z NIL
        if(strlen($cleaned_metar) < 22) // the 22 character definition of shortest valid METAR is a string that starts with "METAR" and ends with "NIL" as in example above
        {
                $decodeInfo['FEEDBACK'] = "Input string rejected, no decoding"; // FEEDBACK is global element that contains one message, not for actual decoded output
                goto function_exit;  // 'goto' is allowed in PHP 5.3.0 and higher, and recommended to avoid multiple layers of conditionals and improve readability in PHP 7
        }       
        $decodeInfo['METAR'] = $cleaned_metar; // add whole METAR to output array, so external script can display what has been decoded!       

I changed line 548 as per your suggestion and then it progressed to other lines with errors which I changed from colon : to semi-colon ; and then the decode_METAR.php completed and decode_METAR_sub_funct.php started and got an error in it in line 133
Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected '[' in /home/content/96/5379896/html/weather/decodeMETAR_sub_funct.php on line 133
Line 133 is
$colour_array             = ['', 'BLU+', 'BLU', 'WHT', 'GRN', 'YLO1', 'YLO2', 'AMB', 'RED'];
The lines before 133 seem ok to me
    $miscellaneousTypes = array(
                'Dust devil'                                 => 'PO',
                'Squalls'                                     => 'SQ',
                'Funnel Cloud'                             => 'FC',  // Tornado and Waterspout denoted by + in intensity
                'Dust Storm'                                 => 'DS',
                'Sand Storm'                                 => 'SS'
    );
    //    Initialisations for Colour State codes are next, as that snippet of script can be entered more than once
    # Example from Meierwik, Glücksburg, Germany: METAR ETGG 011220Z 18011kt 9999 FEW030 17/10 Q1019 BLU+
    # Version 0.2.0 of this script did not decode above METAR due to '+' after colour code, so in version 1.0.0 have added just that one,
    # assuming only best can be modified!   
    $colour_array             = ['', 'BLU+', 'BLU', 'WHT', 'GRN', 'YLO1', 'YLO2', 'AMB', 'RED'];

/////////////////////////////////////////////////
so the progress stalls for me ](*,)   Fortunately someone with a lot more knowledge is having a look at it. 

Paul

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 06:02:24 PM »
Line 133 should read as
$colour_array             = array('', 'BLU+', 'BLU', 'WHT', 'GRN', 'YLO1', 'YLO2', 'AMB', 'RED');
The syntax using [] works for JavaScript, but not for PHP (where an explicit array() has to be used)  :)
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 06:32:00 PM »
Thanks so much Ken, that change has fixed this issue.  And I'll go back into the scripts because I think some similar issue was there.

One more question if I may...
After this line 133 fix I now get
Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected '[' in /home/content/96/5379896/html/weather/decodeMETAR_sub_funct.php on line 445
Line 133 is
$beaufort_force = calculateBeaufort($output['knots'],'kts')[1];and the code around there is
                // ------------------------------------------------
                # these two lines are addition by SPAWS to select drawing
                # IMPORTANT - If you don't have the external script 'forbidden\sourceView.php', you won't have function 'calculateBeaufort'
                if(function_exists('calculateBeaufort')) {
                            $beaufort_force = calculateBeaufort($output['knots'],'kts')[1];
                # IMPORTANT - The next image set is specific to the SPAWS web site design, remove this snippet of code if using this script elsewhere
                            if(file_exists("../gauges_images/beaufort_" . $beaufort_force . ".png"))     $output['house'] = "../gauges_images/beaufort_" . $beaufort_force . ".png";
                }
                //-------------------------------------------------

Ok, a second question.  Are some of the errors I noted PHP version specific - i.e. could they have worked in PHP v7?

Regards,
Paul

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 06:50:01 PM »
That
$beaufort_force = calculateBeaufort($output['knots'],'kts')[1]; is odd.  Like I'd cited earlier, using [] after a function call is unusual.  If the function returns an array, then the proper way is to
$t = calculateBeaufort($output['knots'],'kts');
$beaufort_force = $t[1];

It looks like the author of the code was trying to use JavaScript syntax a bit with PHP, and that doesn't always work.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 10:23:33 AM »
Hi Ken,
With the guidance of a more knowledgeable hobbyist/forum member I now have the script running
I can now give feedback to the author.

The problem in getting the script to run was primarily that while I am on (or suppose to be on)  PHP v 5.6 it seems my GoDaddy hosting is using 2 versions of PHP.  In the root and most sub folders like www.komokaweather.ca and www.komokaweather.com/weather28 and others it is using v 5.6.27.  However in the www.komokaweather.com/weather sub folder where I was running the metar_display.php it is using v 5.2.17 and that caused many problems within the script.  I have now moved the script to its own sub folder /metar and that is using v 5.6.27.

Contacting GoDaddy is on the schedule...

Thanks Ken and Brian.
Paul
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 10:26:41 AM by PaulMy »