Author Topic: Anemometer very high readings intermittently  (Read 2809 times)

Offline tonyh

Anemometer very high readings intermittently
« on: October 17, 2017, 09:55:53 AM »
Hello, I would appreciate some help.
Yesterday was very windy due to ex Hurricane Ophelia that affected Britain. We had a couple of brief power outages and immediately following the second outage I noticed the console was showing wind speeds over 100mph! The highest gust of the day prior to this was a mere 57mph (but still one of the highest readings here) and so it was obviously erroneous. I reckon the wind was still managing gusts of 45 - 50mph at this stage. I rebooted the computer and then the wind readings returned to normal for a while, however the problem has recurred intermittently since.  First thing this morning it was again showing over 100mph when in fact the wind was light (below 10mph) but it has been ok since then. The Davis anemometer is up on the roof and appears ok from the outside as do the cables. Any ideas? Many thanks, Tony, Wales, UK.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: Anemometer very high readings intermittently
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 10:13:43 AM »
1.   What do the console diagnostics show?

2.  Probable cause: the cable has developed one or more places that a wire opens and closes due to the wind moving the cable around.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 01:31:52 PM »
Looks like a 4 hour spike. :lol:
Always helps to explain which Davis unit you have being there are several versions including the full cabled units all the way to console from outside ISS vs wireless. I'll assume it's the typical wireless with anemometer cable going into ISS.

Make sure everything is dry inside ISS including plug where cable goes.
It's possible if cable from anemometer to ISS isn't frayed in even the slightest way you have something going on inside anemometer itself and hard to fix without replacement.
I did have one go bad way back with much faster spikes (split second) and only way to stop the spiking after replacing wire was replace anemometer.

Randy

Offline tonyh

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 03:27:19 PM »
Thanks. Its a Davis pro anemometer cabled from the roof to a solar transmitter which sends to my Vue Console so no link into an ISS. In spite of the ex hurricane its been a dry month unusually here so doubt there is water ingress but will check the transmitter tomorrow.
No spikes since this morning (when they persisted for 4 hours).
I went into the diagnostics (not that I really understand it) and it only seems to be for the Vue ISS station 1 and not the anemometer which is station 2.

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 06:06:56 PM »
Did you have your Console connected to a Surge Protector or UPS? Sounds like you had a Transient Spike on your Mains..................

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline tonyh

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 06:42:40 PM »
Hi Beney no the console has always just been straight into the wall socket, I have now transferred it into the surge protected extension. Would this issue persist as a result of any mains spike we may have had? That may explain the coincidence with the resumption from power cut outage? Many thanks.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 06:44:34 PM »

I went into the diagnostics (not that I really understand it) and it only seems to be for the Vue ISS station 1 and not the anemometer which is station 2.

That's a new situation to me.  Just curious - when you followed the instructions on Page 39 and pressed "Wind", what were the values for number of times the anemometer switch was opened and closed?  Zero?  Or something else?

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 07:13:58 PM »
Hi Beney no the console has always just been straight into the wall socket, I have now transferred it into the surge protected extension. Would this issue persist as a result of any mains spike we may have had? That may explain the coincidence with the resumption from power cut outage? Many thanks.

When I said "Mains", yes I meant wall socket. I've had numerous Electronics that Failed because of Voltage Spikes before I wised up and plugged all my Electronics into a Surge Proctector or UPS. When the power is off and on  you get a surge into your House along with everyone else on your "Grid" or Power Circuit in your local area to go from low voltage to high voltage in a micro second to cause havoc. Whether you took a spike, I don't know but it seems likely.............

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 03:39:48 AM »

That's a new situation to me. 

If you're trying to monitor supplementary transmitters like a 6332 then you need to select the relevant channel using the left/right arrows. Only the active channels seem to be available, ie you don't cycle through 1-8 but eg just 1 and 3 if those happen to be the channels you've chosen.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline tonyh

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 11:53:26 AM »

That's a new situation to me.  Just curious - when you followed the instructions on Page 39 and pressed "Wind", what were the values for number of times the anemometer switch was opened and closed?  Zero?  Or something else?

Hi Dale I did as you instructed it shows 2600 and counting..

Offline tonyh

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 12:00:06 PM »

That's a new situation to me. 

If you're trying to monitor supplementary transmitters like a 6332 then you need to select the relevant channel using the left/right arrows. Only the active channels seem to be available, ie you don't cycle through 1-8 but eg just 1 and 3 if those happen to be the channels you've chosen.

Thanks for that John I can see the anemometer diagnostics there as you state.
The wind speed has been working fine since yesterday morning.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 12:01:57 PM by tonyh »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 10:34:52 PM »
Thanks.  Of course, the diagnostics are only "interesting" when something is not working correcty.
 :grin:

Offline tonyh

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 10:07:09 AM »
Thanks.  Of course, the diagnostics are only "interesting" when something is not working correcty.

OK the wind speed is faulty again this afternoon the diagnostics shows:

closed 2660 and counting
open 1140 and counting

Can this help with the fault?

Offline tonyh

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 11:03:41 AM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 11:33:00 AM by tonyh »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 07:00:20 PM »

OK the wind speed is faulty again this afternoon the diagnostics shows:

closed 2660 and counting
open 1140 and counting

Can this help with the fault?

I would say = look for a problem with the anemometer cable - or possibly the connection at the transmitter.

Offline tonyh

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 02:47:39 PM »
Ok Dale thankyou for your advice I will look at the cable as best I can although I wont be going up on the roof anymore!

Offline tonyh

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 03:58:48 PM »
Wind been recording normally since this problem - does that mean I am in the clear or will the problem return I wonder?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 05:13:36 PM »
... does that mean I am in the clear or will the problem return ...

Yes

Offline tonyh

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2017, 08:37:05 AM »
Thanks Dale thats good news so the wiring should be fine? More likely an electrical issue with the console as Beney suggested?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 09:15:00 AM »
Wind been recording normally since this problem - does that mean I am in the clear or will the problem return I wonder?

I may have missed it but did you do anything to address problem other than look at diagnostics? If not then it will most likely reappear when conditions are right like temperature or moisture.
Randy

Offline tonyh

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2017, 09:43:10 AM »
Thanks for that, no I have not made any thorough physical inspections (which would mean going on the roof!) other than the lower cable and its connection with the solar transmitter. The spikes occurred during mild temperatures and varying though generally quite high humidities which have prevailed since.
I shall endeavour to inspect more closely should the problem recurr and just live with it/ give up wind recording should the problem be high up!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 09:58:23 AM »
Thanks Dale thats good news so the wiring should be fine? More likely an electrical issue with the console as Beney suggested?

You misunderstood.  I meant that: EITHER you are in the clear or the problem will return.

If, for instance, it was wiring (and you haven't found it yet), then it's likely to return. 

There is no way for us to tell.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 10:00:05 AM by dalecoy »

Offline tonyh

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2017, 10:08:49 AM »
Ha you were being clever with your answer too clever for me :)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 10:09:43 AM »
When mine was doing the spiking it was usually after a rain. Then it went away during winter when wires & solder will restrict with temperature and reappeared the next year if memory serves. It happened some 7-8 years ago and fix was changing over to the wireless anemometer transmitter and it cleared up.
Like I said prior, I tried replacing the cable by doing a splice close to anemometer housing so wire was new including plug going into ISS socket.

The problem continued until completely replacing anemometer. Not knowing exactly where problem was I thought bypassing the ISS plug was best way to go so went with the wireless setup.
Looking back I think it was inside anemometer or the socket inside ISS had a bad solder. 
Randy