Author Topic: Putting Console into Setup Mode.  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
Putting Console into Setup Mode.
« on: September 26, 2017, 09:13:25 PM »
Just about to swap my SHT11 with the SHT31....

With regards to putting the Console in Setup Mode,

IE <Done> + <-> buttons,

Does anyone know what the timeout is before the console exits the setup mode of it's own accord.
Seem to remember it going back to normal operation by it's self last time I worked on the station.

Also,
Is there any issue with temporarily changing the transmit channel on the ISS while it's down, so if the console exits setup no rogue data will be received?

Thanks

Phil.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Re: Putting Console into Setup Mode.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 09:29:17 PM »
Just about to swap my SHT11 with the SHT31....

With regards to putting the Console in Setup Mode,

IE <Done> + <-> buttons,

Does anyone know what the timeout is before the console exits the setup mode of it's own accord.
Seem to remember it going back to normal operation by it's self last time I worked on the station.

Also,
Is there any issue with temporarily changing the transmit channel on the ISS while it's down, so if the console exits setup no rogue data will be received?

Thanks

Phil.

I always change the transmit channel at the ISS to avoid the issue that you are concerned about. Quick and easy to do. However, I always check the console after I return the ISS to my desired channel to ensure the console is still receiving data using my desired channel.

I am unaware of any timeout issue using the setup approach, but it wouldn't surprise me if Davis would add that "feature." However, if that feature does exist, it is not mentioned in the Console Manual (Rev. M; June 5, 2015). Rather, it states "Exit Setup Mode by pressing and holding DONE until the Current Weather screen displays."

Per CW2274 posted immediately below, this timeout "feature" does exists and is 30 minutes. Davis should have stated that in its Console Manual rather than making folks learn the hard way. That said, this issue is one of many examples where the value of the WXForum is proven priceless once again! Users learn the secrets that manufacturers don't publicize for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 11:05:35 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 10:03:01 PM »
30 minutes. Frankly, I hate the feature as it didn't use to be that way. If I want the frikkin' console outta setup mode, I'll do it myself.
More stupid hand holding.  ](*,) 

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 03:12:57 AM »
Frankly, I hate the feature as it didn't use to be that way.

But it really does cut down on all those support calls that say 'my VP2 is broken - there's nothing on the console display'.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 09:38:39 PM »
So I search for "davis vp2 setup mode timeout" in Google and I come back to my original post from 3 years ago.....

That was convenient.

Contemplating taking it down again today as the SHT31 has been reading a bit low during high humidity over the past months.

Also have a new tipping spoon to swap in and the fans been a bit chirpy over the past week.

Does a drop of light oil tend to stretch the fan life out a bit, or do I just shrug my shoulders & throw the spare fan in.
Station was purchased Sept 2016 & converted to 24 hour DFARS about 6 months later.

What is the average expectancy of the fan.
(And SHT31 while I'm at it).

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 03:58:56 AM »
So I search for "davis vp2 setup mode timeout" in Google and I come back to my original post from 3 years ago.....

That was convenient.

Problem is that there isn't a simple answer - it depends on the firmware version on the console and whether the console is mains or battery powered.

With older F/W setup mode does not time out at all. Then the timeout was introduced in, IIRC (but don't quote me), v3.00 so that:

'Console timeout of the “Receiving From” setup screen after 15 min using batteries and 30 min using AC power.'
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

anything