Author Topic: Davis to Wifi TCP/IP link  (Read 9923 times)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Davis to Wifi TCP/IP link
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 07:05:40 PM »
You mean the router?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 07:20:44 PM »
I *think* I'm interested, too, but I'm not quite sure that I understand how it fits into the whole data stream path...hence, why I asked for the block diagram. Gotta SHOW me...and I ain't even from Missouri.

Think of it as wireless "Wire" that connects the console to the PC...
But, in MY case I have NO wire between my VUE console and my PC; the VUE plugs directly into my router/modem via its WL-IP cable.

My PC is obviously also plugged into the router/modem and I retrieve MY WL data from the DAVIS WeatherLink website via my PC, but with the WL-IP dongle (memory buffer) plugged into the VUE, there is NO WAY to directly connect anything else to the VUE (that I know of).

However, I definitely WOULD like my PC also connected to the VUE if it were possible, but at the moment I don't see that as doable.

About the ONLY way I can envision the WiFi helping me is if it were configured as a " T " where one leg connects to the VUE, the other to the WL-IP and the 3'rd is the WiFi. The SINGLE connection point into the VUE console is the problem.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 07:28:26 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2017, 07:34:11 PM »
....My PC is obviously also plugged into the router/modem and I retrieve MY WL data from the DAVIS WeatherLink website via my PC, but with the WL-IP dongle (memory buffer) plugged into the VUE, there is NO WAY to directly connect anything else to the VUE (that I know of)....

Well anything that is pluggable to your router/switch can effectively also communicate with the Vue/WLIP via the network, if it's designed as such. MeteoBridge is one such example

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2017, 07:43:29 PM »
If you use a Meteobridge box, the WLIP talks to it and your PC can connect to the data via Port 22222
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2017, 08:11:53 PM »
Let me preface the below by admitting that I am NOT a wiz on WiFi.

To me, it looks like all the WiFi device would do is eliminate the ethernet CAT cable between the WL-IP dongle and my router/modem; ie: just as SLOweather stated, a "wireless" wire connection. That'd be nice for cases where: (1) the VP2 Console is physically distant from the router/modem so much that the cable length is a problem or (2) the cable cannot be 'fished' through walls, etc. My two devices are literally within two feet of each other.

Our router/modem has built-in WiFi, as does our printer, but until DAVIS™ changes the software in either the VP2 or VUE consoles, I don't see it being useful (to me). I want/need two-way communication, not just one-way data dumping...because...currently everything goes thru that dongle in a single stream down to the router with NO upward communication that I'm aware of. The dongle is memory buffering and IP download only.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 08:13:55 PM by Old Tele man »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2017, 09:17:51 PM »
I believe you have the incorrect impression of the device that belfryboy is developing, but you are correct here:

I don't see it being useful (to me).

The reason it's not useful to you, is that you want to use your WeatherLinkIP.

The device (essentially) replaces a cable (serial or USB) connecting the console to the PC.  It does that by allowing a wi-fi connection between the console and "the world" (i.e., the router).  Then the PC connects to the console through the router (however it is connected to the router).

Using the WeatherLinkIP is great.  It's another way to connect the console to "the world" (i.e., the router), so it performs the same function as the device that's being developed here - PLUS being able to send data to WeatherLink.com.

I hope I have that right.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2017, 09:32:13 PM »
Think of it as wireless "Wire" that connects the console to the PC...

Network geek speak: A wireless bridge is an arrangement of devices (minimum two) that link two wired network segments, wirelessly. In bridged mode, the access point would not normally accept connections from other wireless devices.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2017, 11:38:27 PM »
Im not sure if i have read the above examples correctly but if i am, does this mean adding this will allow me to;

1). Be able to turn off PC and still send data to say WU?
2). No longer need the Envoy to replace the console when wanting the console in another room?

Or, have i lost total grasp on reality?
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2017, 04:06:33 AM »
Bashy, to answer your questions;

1) this does not currently replace the "always on pc" scenario. It does not have the ability to upload directly to the internet.

2) it could replace the envoy in your situation. By that I mean that a console fitted with this link could remain connected to your PC whatever room it's in.

Dalecoy has the right idea, this may not be of use to anyone with a weatherlink IP. But in the future I may be able to modify the firmware to directly load to the internet, but that is a long way off yet.

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2017, 04:12:37 AM »
Thank you, that's good to know :)
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2017, 02:33:56 PM »
And THAT is why I asked about a possible "block diagram" so as to see the data flow directions and connections...input to output.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2017, 03:59:14 PM »
And THAT is why I asked about a possible "block diagram" so as to see the data flow ....

Understood, but:

....flow directions and connections...input to output.

It's bi-directional.

Wireless connection between console and LAN

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2017, 04:33:42 PM »
And THAT is why I asked about a possible "block diagram" so as to see the data flow ....

Understood, but:

....flow directions and connections...input to output.

It's bi-directional.

OK, but as I noted above, until DAVIS™ does something to the VUE software, in my application, it would only be ONE way data flow...unless there was some 'intelligence' in that device...AND/OR...a "tee'd" input/output.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2017, 05:06:04 PM »
OK, but as I noted above, until DAVIS™ does something to the VUE software, in my application, it would only be ONE way data flow...

Which way?  [That's a serious question, not a snipe - I do not quite understand what you are saying]

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2017, 05:42:26 PM »
OK, but as I noted above, until DAVIS™ does something to the VUE software, in my application, it would only be ONE way data flow...

Which way?  [That's a serious question, not a snipe - I do not quite understand what you are saying]
On both the VP2 Console and VUE console, the ONLY communication port is thru that WL connector, which *IS* bi-directional when a WL-USB dongle is used. So, MY interest is something that fits BEFORE/AFTER the WL-IP dongle connection into the console allowing access to and use of that bi-directional communication capability. Hence, my continued use of the word "Tee"...as in data-direction splitting.

Because of the "depth" of the memory-buffer, it should/could be possible to interrupt downstream (output to ISP) for "short" periods of time, to allow PC access back up into the console...for time and data parameter "adjustments" which NOW can only be done using the console buttons, but IS possible from a PC when a WL-USB dongle is in use. I have BOTH the WL-ISP and the WL-USB dongles in use now, although connected to two different receivers: VUE console @ WL-IP and Envoy8X @ WL-USB.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 05:48:18 PM by Old Tele man »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2017, 08:49:53 PM »
I understand that, Old Tele man.  But you said:

"OK, but as I noted above, until DAVIS™ does something to the VUE software, in my application, it would only be ONE way data flow..."

I asked a simple question:  Which way?

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2017, 08:59:57 PM »

"OK, but as I noted above, until DAVIS™ does something to the VUE software, in my application, it would only be ONE way data flow..."

1) WL-IP is OUTWARD data flow only...

2) WL-USB is BI-DIRECTIONAL data flow...

3) Either one plugs into the SAME connector port in VUE and/or VP2 Console.

4) Thus, that connector port in VUE or VP2 Console *IS* bi-directional.

I'm hoping something like that WiFi unit might possibly achieve the WL-USB bi-directional capability without hindering the WL-IP direct to ISP-ethernet connection...and...in my mind there seems to be numerous ways to accomplish that. But, like I said, I'm no WiFi wiz.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 09:05:21 PM by Old Tele man »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2017, 10:33:36 PM »

1) WL-IP is OUTWARD data flow only...

It's clearly BI-DIRECTIONAL data flow... when you use PC software to communicate with the console (settings), and/or to obtain current data to upload to sites that are not supported by WeatherLink.com

Footnote: it's also clear that belfryboy's device would replace the USB logger in your Envoy8X, if you desired to have it connect wirelessly rather than through the USB cable.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2017, 07:20:22 AM »
WLIP uploads to wl.com are indeed outbound only, as far as anyone knows.

But the IP logger is still obviously receptive to inbound commands, so as dalecoy says the IP interface is bidirectional. There are a number of folk who typically just turn off the wl.com uploads and use the IP logger as an alternative logger type but with an Ethernet interface, when it seems to deliver exactly the same data functionality as eg a USB logger.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2017, 10:33:56 AM »
.... There are a number of folk who typically just turn off the wl.com uploads and use the IP logger as an alternative logger type but with an Ethernet interface, ...

Which would be the same as the device that belfryboy is working on, except with a wi-fi connection rather than Ethernet.

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2017, 06:11:51 AM »
I have received the circuit boards now and have built 3 WiFi loggers, using ESP-link as the serial-TCP/IP link. It all seems to work well, and I have had Weatherlink and Cumulus working using my envoy and Vantage pro consoles.

I am working on instructions to enable direct connection and connection over a home network.

Are there any "guinea pigs" that would like to give one of these a try and give me some feedback?

Offline fergus

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2017, 09:18:32 AM »
Are there any "guinea pigs" that would like to give one of these a try and give me some feedback?

I'd be happy to be a guinea pig. I use weewx -- https://fm3k.com

My test setup would an Ubuntu VM running under Hyper V with a wired ethernet connection to the switch. Wifi data logger would connect to an access point on the same switch.

Offline diaan

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2017, 05:53:04 PM »

I'd love to test it. Still waiting for my cabled logger to arrive from you via our dreadful postal system.

VP2 should be here next week.

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2017, 05:24:26 PM »

Australia is probably a bit far.

Is that your final board design? Using an ESP-01?

Even though I have 8 ESP-01's running here on PICs, I do wonder if I'll get better reliability is I replace them with ESP-12's.

It's just occasionally that one or another drops off line & needs reboot to reconnect.
I've got a handful of ESP-12F's that I've got to get around to mounting & flashing.

The only real appeal they have over the ESP-01's is the metal can shielding the chips.
It must be of some importance, as it's found in almost all WiFi devices in some form.

Phil.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Edit:-

Their dimensions are closer than I thought,

ESP-01   - 14.3x24.8mm
ESP-12F - 16.0x24.0mm
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 05:49:05 PM by Phil23 »

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2017, 05:28:11 PM »
Phil23, I do have a design in the pipeline for the ESP-12, but I do like the simplicity of the ESP-01.  The screening can is probably necessary for the FCC and CE approvals.

anything