Author Topic: Davis bucket calibration  (Read 15940 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Davis bucket calibration
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2017, 06:15:06 PM »
So.... If I use the Novalynx rain gauge calibrator for my Davis VP2 rain gauge, would it improve the accuracy of the Davis gauge?

I would think so. You would at least know if the gauge is capable of repeatability. If not and it's very possible if like my Davis gauge and all over the place replace with Rainwise 111 8". https://www.rainwise.com/products/detail.php?ID=6697

Thanks! How do you get the RW gauge to report to the Davis console or to WeatherUnderground etc. in one piece?

rj11 phone line Green/yellow together go on 1 post and red on other rainbucket terminal. Black is not used.
Fancy, smancy, I just twisted mine together. ;)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2017, 07:46:43 PM »
While I haven't touched my own VP2 in regards to rain calibration, I'm curious about how others measure the bucket tips without upsetting their live data.

It would make simple sense to me to unplug the rain sensor from the ISS & patch it into a micro (Micromite, Arduino etc), and then log the tips in there.

Has anyone tried that sort of approach?

It would make it easy to log the bucket tips along with time stamps & compare results at different "Rain rates".

Phil.

The rainwise has a counter that comes with unit for easy calibration but for davis tipping bucket station you could wire a no voltage counter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NC9M0U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Baomain-H7EC-BLM-Counting-No-voltage-Required/dp/B00W16DLFC/ref=pd_sim_469_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AFX1J3ZQ579TVVCQRF30
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2017, 07:55:32 PM »
So.... If I use the Novalynx rain gauge calibrator for my Davis VP2 rain gauge, would it improve the accuracy of the Davis gauge?

I would think so. You would at least know if the gauge is capable of repeatability. If not and it's very possible if like my Davis gauge and all over the place replace with Rainwise 111 8". https://www.rainwise.com/products/detail.php?ID=6697

Thanks! How do you get the RW gauge to report to the Davis console or to WeatherUnderground etc. in one piece?

rj11 phone line Green/yellow together go on 1 post and red on other rainbucket terminal. Black is not used.

You can wire both Iss rj11 plug and RW counter plug to posts at same time just pop the blue cover off and post are exposed. I left a section of wire with counter plug coiled up under cover so if I ever need a calibration it's ready to go. Just unplug from Iss and plug counter in.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2017, 08:08:15 PM »

You can wire both Iss rj11 plug and RW counter plug to posts at same time just pop the blue cover off and post are exposed. I left a section of wire with counter plug coiled up under cover so if I ever need a calibration it's ready to go. Just unplug from Iss and plug counter in.
Ah yes, that's a hellofalot easier your way.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2017, 09:12:45 PM »
Where does one buy a Novalynx calibrator gauge at a reasonable price, and what is that reasonable price?
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2017, 11:22:26 PM »
If I go decide to get the RW gauge, do I need to calibrate it out of the box or does it perform well right off the bat?
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2017, 01:02:48 AM »
If I go decide to get the RW gauge, do I need to calibrate it out of the box or does it perform well right off the bat?
They are hand calibrated, but some people I know had to jack with it outta the box and screw it up. I, uhummm, I mean they got it back.  :roll:

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2017, 07:13:17 AM »
They are hand calibrated, but some people I know had to jack with it outta the box and screw it up. I, uhummm, I mean they got it back.  :roll:

Gotcha.

Can you & ValentineWeather both send me pics on how your RW gauge is installed relative to the Davis ISS location? I'm trying to think of a way to install the RW gauge without much fraying of the wire of the RW gauge.
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2017, 08:51:43 AM »
Where does one buy a Novalynx calibrator gauge at a reasonable price, and what is that reasonable price?

Only place I know is retail directly from Novalynx. 260-2595 Tipping Bucket Rain Gauge Calibrator  - $125.00

This is the best field unit I've found because unlike most other rain gauge calibrators flow slows with head pressure. These keep same drip speed throughout calibration.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2017, 10:01:48 AM »

Gotcha.

Can you & ValentineWeather both send me pics on how your RW gauge is installed relative to the Davis ISS location? I'm trying to think of a way to install the RW gauge without much fraying of the wire of the RW gauge.

Any rain gauge needs mounted securely. I've mounted RW gauges on top of cinder block drilling and screwing down into block,  another is mounted on large heavy block of wood. Main thing it's mounted securely and not swaying or vibrating with the wind. It's been covered before but many pole mounted gauges are prone to tip early from vibration causing gauge to read high or sometimes normal on under calibrated gauges but then a rain with little wind if gauge is under calibrated will be short. You end up chasing your tail basically not understanding why one time it was close and short another.

How you protect the wire is your choice if gauge is located some distance away from ISS I run underground in pvc pipe. If you want wire can be exposed on top but I would replace every few years.

It's easy to hook up this is one of my backup gauges with Davis heater I was experimenting with. Just pop blue cover off and wire. Red goes on one post, green yellow on other.
Randy

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2017, 11:13:49 AM »

Gotcha.

Any rain gauge needs mounted securely. I've mounted RW gauges on top of cinder block drilling and screwing down into block,  another is mounted on large heavy block of wood. Main thing it's mounted securely and not swaying or vibrating with the wind. It's been covered before but many pole mounted gauges are prone to tip early from vibration causing gauge to read high or sometimes normal on under calibrated gauges but then a rain with little wind if gauge is under calibrated will be short. You end up chasing your tail basically not understanding why one time it was close and short another.

How you protect the wire is your choice if gauge is located some distance away from ISS I run underground in pvc pipe. If you want wire can be exposed on top but I would replace every few years.

It's easy to hook up this is one of my backup gauges with Davis heater I was experimenting with. Just pop blue cover off and wire. Red goes on one post, green yellow on other.

Ok. Thanks!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2017, 03:41:31 PM »
Mine is also screwed into the cap of a cider block wall, makes it easy to balance too. As far as the line to the ISS, I used just the phone cord itself running through the desert (knew it wouldn't last) and sure enough was chewed through within a week. So I got smart and fished it through a garden hose (talk about a PITA), that got chewed through the next day (really, what the hell I got out here?) Soooo, I really got smart and fished it through flexible metal conduit, 10 times easier than the hose, and knew that's how I should have done it in the first place. :roll: That was the first of the year and ain't nothin' chewed through that. =D>

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2017, 07:44:09 PM »

Gotcha.

Can the RainWise RainNew gauge be installed on a mast like their rainlogger gauges?

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2017, 08:35:05 PM »
And btw Randy, how does the RainWise gauge compares to your Texas Electronics gauge?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2017, 08:45:30 PM »
And btw Randy, how does the RainWise gauge compares to your Texas Electronics gauge?
Both work the same. The TE is just made of higher quality material and should last long time.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2017, 08:47:08 PM »

Can the RainWise RainNew gauge be installed on a mast like their rainlogger gauges?

I like that..Look into it and report back what's needed.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2017, 09:12:47 PM »

Yes, it looks cool, but with that really high center of gravity I wonder about shimmy in stronger wind. That's the whole reason why I left my VP2 rain bucket on a tripod for the RW, the RW is completely solidly mounted.

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2017, 09:35:39 PM »

Just emailed RainWise. Waiting for a response from them.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2017, 09:44:28 PM »

Nice, I look how it looks if nothing else... :grin:
Randy

Offline twcmaster

• Contributor
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2017, 12:40:31 AM »

Thanks for sharing this great info!! I saw this post as heavy showers were approaching and decided to quickly hook up my no longer used Rainwise MKIII rain gauge last night. I measured:

RainWise .28
Davis (as calibrated as I can get it)  Aerocone .26
Cocorahs 4" Manual (non-electronic): .28
Novalynx 8" Standard Manual (non-electronic): .31

Thanks again!

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2017, 03:49:04 AM »
Sounds like the old saying, a man with 1 rain gauge knows how much rain, man with 2 rain gauges is never quite sure.

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2017, 11:09:19 AM »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2017, 11:17:59 AM »

Cheaper than the Texas Electronics base however.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2017, 11:20:56 AM »
What's nice about having a base it takes all the mounting issues away plus gauge can be precision leveled .
Randy

Offline twcmaster

• Contributor
« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2017, 11:25:13 AM »
Does it have to be cemented into the ground?

anything