Author Topic: Possible Software change from VWS  (Read 2023 times)

Offline kg4ooz

Possible Software change from VWS
« on: July 30, 2016, 09:37:27 AM »
I used Virtual Weather Station software for a few years with my past station with no problems, but I recently Bought and installed my New VP2 after a several years of not having a station online.  Now I am considering Changing software to maybe Weather Display.  I can not seem to get the graphing on VWS to give me the graphs I want.  I want to display more than 2 items on a single graph in order to better compare readings, plus the auto scale will not display 2 items on a single graph with the same scale without setting a manual scale.

My main question is how does the capabilities of Weather Display compare to Virtual weather station?

I currently do not have a website but I plan on getting on sometime in the future.  As of current I just have a Basic VP2 but plan on upgrading to have the solar, UV, Soil temp, Soil Moisture and some other Temp stations.  Will WD handle all of these things and allow me to graph multiple Temps?

I also Currently Send my data to every place I can with VWS, Wunderground, APRS, CWOP, WeatherForYou, and Weather Bug.  Does WD allow all of these sites to be uploaded to Also.  I am not so worried about Weather Bug but would like to keep the rest of the sites.

Any comments your experience with either software would be greatly appreciated.  And maybe some of you have made the transition from VWS to WD or some other software.  Or I might be better of staying with VWS.

Thanks again for any help on the possible software change

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Possible Software change from VWS
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 10:37:28 AM »
Cumulus is also an option and does upload to those and others.  It is easy to download and give it a try.  Cumulus 1 has the traditional user interface, whereas Cumulus MX has a browser interface which you can fully customize.  http://sandaysoft.com/forum/index.php 

Offline kg4ooz

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 09:48:52 PM »
Thanks, I had looked at the cumulus site but couldn't really find a whole lot of screen shots or examples of it.   I downloaded Weather display to give it a try and so far it seems better in some ways but there are a few things I miss from VWS already.  That will probably be the case with any software I try.

I think my biggest problem is that I have a dedicated PC for my weather station and my weather station panel stays on it 24/7.  I want to have as much information displayed on the single page to the point it is almost information overload.  I like having all the graphs of VWS but I want to combine somethings into grpahs I can compare like say temp, dew point, heat index all on one graph with the same scale.  I  like the idea of the single big graph that Weather display has for the temperatures but I can't seem to get it to work the way I want it too.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 09:59:36 PM by kg4ooz »

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 10:13:54 PM »
Cumulus is free so you can just try it,  otherwise I would say weather display is the best in terms of weather software and also has a free trial

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 11:05:49 PM »
I want to have as much information displayed on the single page to the point it is almost information overload.
Then CumulusMX is for you ;) The user interface is available through URL on any unit connected on your network and you can customize as you would with html code.  Whether the information provided by Cumulus to add to your personalized interface is enough can only be determined by you.  Easy to try...

Scroll through some of these http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=28

Paul

Offline kg4ooz

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 01:00:55 AM »
I think the web design part is what scares me about the cumulus so much.  I am not a programmer or designer by any means.  My old website was just simply the VWS stock webpage.  How hard is the cumulus to design and are there many wizards or maybe a dummies guide?

I may give it a try after I get done messing with WD, I'm slowing starting to figure it out but I have yet to scratch the surface of it's capabilities.  I am running into some quirks with the configurations and menu structure.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 09:45:23 AM »
Cumulus is free so you can just try it,
Free to download and try out but it is Donationware . You can use it but have a heart and drop the author a donation for his hard work.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 09:53:43 AM »
True, you are right.

anything