Author Topic: Davis Weather Station Repair/Refurb Information  (Read 100244 times)

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
Re: Davis Weather Station Repair/Refurb Information
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2017, 08:34:58 AM »
"I may order the new sensor (is Scaled Instruments good?) just to have it, and then try to fix this one as a spare???
Any thoughts/ideas welcome."

Excellent!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #151 on: May 08, 2017, 09:08:30 AM »
Ryan at Scaled Instruments is great!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline bcurry

• Coastal Port Maitland Weather
« Reply #152 on: May 08, 2017, 10:02:05 AM »
Thanks!
I have ordered a new T/H sensor from him and already received an e-mail back. Great stuff!
Now, if I can get my old one working by cleaning...I'd have a spare!

Cheers,
Bill

Offline JudinNorman

« Reply #153 on: May 23, 2017, 12:38:45 PM »
Is the new sensor an SHT31 or older version?  If it's the new SHT31 how does its readings compare to older?
Jud

Thanks!
I have ordered a new T/H sensor from him and already received an e-mail back. Great stuff!
Now, if I can get my old one working by cleaning...I'd have a spare!

Cheers,
Bill

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #155 on: May 23, 2017, 04:03:22 PM »
Elaborating on Jim's (CW2274) links, you will find the SHT31 a fantastic sensor, well worth the upgrade from prior models used by Davis. The accuracy and response rate is unbelievable to say the least.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline JudinNorman

« Reply #156 on: May 24, 2017, 01:19:27 PM »
You guys have convinced me to upgrade to the SHT31.
Jud

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #157 on: May 24, 2017, 04:12:23 PM »
You guys have convinced me to upgrade to the SHT31.
Jud
You'll need to check if the -0.9F offset will apply.

Offline JudinNorman

« Reply #158 on: May 25, 2017, 08:37:02 PM »
Yes I have confirmed I will need to enter an offset.

One thing that is confusing to me.  In the manual it says how to enter the offset yet I can do it through the weatherlink software as well,  it says to enter a temperature however.  To do the offset via the software I would assume for example the raw temp is 50.0 F, I would enter 49.1 ? 

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #159 on: May 25, 2017, 08:58:56 PM »
How did you determine you need an offset? I believe the answer depends on the manufacturing date of your PCBA, correct? Did Davis support provide that answer? Just curious and hopefully your information will benefit other users in this Forum.

As to the specific question you asked, I think you are right but I will defer to someone that won't be guessing!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:01:07 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #160 on: May 25, 2017, 09:45:50 PM »

One thing that is confusing to me.  In the manual it says how to enter the offset yet I can do it through the weatherlink software as well,  it says to enter a temperature however.  To do the offset via the software I would assume for example the raw temp is 50.0 F, I would enter 49.1 ?
If you do it through the console, there is zero doubt it's done correctly. WL tends makes it a little confusing, at least for me. #-o

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #161 on: May 25, 2017, 10:53:42 PM »

To do the offset via the software I would assume for example the raw temp is 50.0 F, I would enter 49.1 ?

Yes
Randy

Offline JudinNorman

« Reply #162 on: May 26, 2017, 07:54:07 PM »
I called Davis tech support,  the tech asked me to go out to the ISS,  take solar panel off and read the code off to him.  He confirmed to me I would need a -0.9 F offset for the correct temperature reading. 
Very happy with Davis tech support.

Jud

How did you determine you need an offset? I believe the answer depends on the manufacturing date of your PCBA, correct? Did Davis support provide that answer? Just curious and hopefully your information will benefit other users in this Forum.

As to the specific question you asked, I think you are right but I will defer to someone that won't be guessing!

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #163 on: May 26, 2017, 08:02:31 PM »
I called Davis tech support,  the tech asked me to go out to the ISS,  take solar panel off and read the code off to him.  He confirmed to me I would need a -0.9 F offset for the correct temperature reading. 
Very happy with Davis tech support.

Jud

Thanks Jud. I believe the code you read to Davis support could tell them when your PCBA was assembled. If before January 1, 2016, an offset is required, if after, no offset. I have found Davis telephone support pretty good over the years, the downside is the long wait time on hold, and they seem to have fairly high turnover in that group although the manager, Brett Lane, has been there quite awhile and does a good job.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 08:04:20 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline Weather Spares

• Forecaster
    • Weather Spares
« Reply #164 on: May 27, 2017, 12:57:34 PM »
The manufacture date of your PCB can be determined by the first 6 numbers after the two letters. For example a ISS transmitter with a code of AZ1308010001 would be manufactured in year 13 (2013) month 08 (August) 01 (day 1).

This tends to apply to most Davis equipment.

The only time of course this would not apply if someone has replaced the PCB within the case and then used the old internal cover - which is a rarity, but something I have seen. New January 2016 PCBs also tend to have a small white sticker with 2.5 on them rather than an earlier number.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 01:29:45 PM by ayde_bury »
Weather Spares - your one stop shop for complete stations, accessories and spare parts for Davis Instruments, Ecowitt, Oregon Scientific, TFA, Ventus, GARNI and many more - https://www.weatherspares.co.uk/ offering global shipping of products.

Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus 24 hour FARS, Meteobridge NANO SD data logger, Davis AirLink, remote Davis anemometer rooftop mounted.
Location 95m altitude, West of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK.

Offline JudinNorman

« Reply #165 on: June 01, 2017, 06:00:19 PM »
I installed the new SHT31 sensor for my Vantage Pro 2 with a -0.9F offset in console.  I'm impressed with the humidity reading already compared to my old sensor with low humidity,  my old sensor had a hard time going much below 30%,  been around 20% this afternoon.

With my old sensor should I return to Davis for calibration? Keep as a spare?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #166 on: June 01, 2017, 06:20:07 PM »
I installed the new SHT31 sensor for my Vantage Pro 2 with a -0.9F offset in console.  I'm impressed with the humidity reading already compared to my old sensor with low humidity,  my old sensor had a hard time going much below 30%,  been around 20% this afternoon.

With my old sensor should I return to Davis for calibration? Keep as a spare?
Your old sensor has probably drifted to the point of chucking it, there is no re-calibration that I'm aware of. Doubt it would be cost effective even if it could be.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2017, 07:11:27 PM »
You might be able to regenerate the humidity sensor.
Going from memory it needed to be saturated in a certain type of bag with wet rag for some period of time and maybe even baked in oven. 
It was along time ago and memory isn't getting better and its probably not worth the time considering replacement cost. Here is a link on humidity sensors you might find the information.

https://www.sensirion.com/en/environmental-sensors/all-documents-of-sensirions-humidity-sensors-for-download/
Randy

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #168 on: September 05, 2017, 10:08:49 AM »
Ok, so it's been less than 12 months since I had mine refurbished.  My anemometer has already died.  The console will read direction but not velocity.  The wind cups are spinning freely, so my guess is a dead reed switch inside the anemometer unit.   ](*,)

Does anyone know what kind of warranty Davis gives with the refurbish service?  I'm hoping they'll take care of this for me since it's been less than a year.
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #169 on: September 05, 2017, 12:26:57 PM »
Ok, so it's been less than 12 months since I had mine refurbished.  My anemometer has already died.  The console will read direction but not velocity.  The wind cups are spinning freely, so my guess is a dead reed switch inside the anemometer unit.   ](*,)

Have you already tried the measures listed in the ISS manual (page 27, I think)?

And what do the console diagnostics say about the switch closures?

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #170 on: September 05, 2017, 12:43:36 PM »

Have you already tried the measures listed in the ISS manual (page 27, I think)?

And what do the console diagnostics say about the switch closures?

I haven't checked the diagnostic screen yet.  I will take a look at it this afternoon.

38.01977N, 84.83486W

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #171 on: September 09, 2017, 06:35:42 PM »
My diagnostic screen shows the switch open every 2 seconds.  My cups seem to still be tight on the anemometer spindle.  They spin freely.  Battery voltage is 3.0 volts at the ISS.  No nicks or cuts in the anemometer wire visible.  But I'm still getting direction and not speed. 

Any other ideas?  Davis is no help...said the refurbish only has a 90 day warranty which is terrible for $200.

38.01977N, 84.83486W

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #172 on: September 10, 2017, 02:24:51 PM »
NEW: Scaled Instruments
Davis 6410 – Anemometer for Vantage Pro2 & Vantage Pro – $135.00  ($105.00)

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #173 on: September 10, 2017, 03:45:05 PM »
My diagnostic screen shows the switch open every 2 seconds. 

Please explain how you see that.  Is the "times open" counter increasing by one every 2 seconds?  And the "times closed" counter not increasing at all?  Or what?

Have you tried the suggestion from the manual to
"Remove the cups from the anemometer (loosen the set screw). Put the cups back onto the shaft and make sure to slide them up the shaft as far as possible."
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 04:26:56 PM by dalecoy »

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Davis Weather Station Repair/Refurb Information
« Reply #174 on: December 20, 2017, 09:08:16 PM »
Whatever happen to the question being asked immediately above by WXman re the anemometer? I don’t see a resolution to the issue raised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 09:20:10 PM by WheatonRon »