Author Topic: Rain total difference on 1050c display and web portal.  (Read 3458 times)

Offline tonyguy2000

Rain total difference on 1050c display and web portal.
« on: November 01, 2011, 01:47:03 PM »
I posted this before but in the wrong thread so I will post it here. The webpage (My Backyard Weather) rain total is always lower then what shows on the table top display. I called "Acurite" tech support yesterday and Jenny told me it's an ongoing problem due to conversion from metric mm to inches. I don't know what she meant so I changed the display unit and the "web portal" to mm and it rained again last night  and the web portal still showed less than my display. I called tech support again and this time I was told it's because Acurite's server has problems rounding up numbers. Could some please tell me what and when it is going to be  fixed. Thanks. We just had rain and the table top display reads .58 inches yet the web portal page reads .42 inches. It's the 42 that's going to my "wunderground.com" site which in incorrect data.

I even brought the 5/1 sensor right next to the bridge to see if maybe it was the signal.

Thanks in advance for any help on this subject.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
Re: Rain total difference on 1050c display and web portal.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 02:08:43 PM »
from the other thread, the key is that the difference gets larger the more rain there is
i.e its a simple scaling/conversion error
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 02:56:36 PM »
Are you a member of the Acu-Rite web bridge beta test group?  The system status and test group questions are all answered there.  You should contact Jeff if you aren't a beta tester.  PM Rhino for details, or me if I can assist.  I'm not affiliated with Acu-Rite.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline tonyguy2000

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 03:47:04 PM »
from the other thread, the key is that the difference gets larger the more rain there is
i.e its a simple scaling/conversion error

What does that mean to me? And yes the difference gets larger the more rain there is. I'm trying to find out why. Thanks.

Offline tonyguy2000

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
Are you a member of the Acu-Rite web bridge beta test group?  The system status and test group questions are all answered there.  You should contact Jeff if you aren't a beta tester.  PM Rhino for details, or me if I can assist.  I'm not affiliated with Acu-Rite.

I'm not a beta tester. I was hoping Rhino would see this and advise me. I am asking for help with this issue.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 03:58:45 PM »
What does that mean to me?
it means its not something on your end
its something that needs to get fixed on their end (i.e a conversion factor is incorrect or similar)
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline tonyguy2000

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 04:00:19 PM »
What does that mean to me?
it means its not something on your end
its something that needs to get fixed on their end (i.e a conversion factor is incorrect or similar)

Do you know if they are aware of this? Do you have this system?

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 11:52:34 AM »
Hey Guys, sorry for the late response here- been KO'd with a nasty cold.

The rain totals differences are due to a rounding error when the software converts the sensor rain data from (mm) to inches internally. This is a bigger issue with lower rain totals as entire "bucket tips" can be missed. Changing the display units will not fix this issue. Our software team is working on the problem and a firmware update will roll out before the months end to fix the issue.

Thanks!!