Author Topic: SkySpy Software  (Read 36284 times)

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
SkySpy Software
« on: January 09, 2015, 07:17:59 PM »
I am starting a new thread to deal specifically with SkySpy, the weather station bridge software for the LaCrosse C84612.  SkySpy sends your weather data to Weather Underground and can optionally store your data on a MySQL database server.

Please post SkySpy questions here.  Thanks!

Offline spork

Re: SkySpy Software
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 03:57:39 AM »
With a good deal of help I have my machine running the SkySpy app and server.  Things look good on the PC end, but no data is getting to Weather Underground.  I think I've got the "External Display" setup properly (checked the "Enable Weather Underground Upload" box and filled in the fields).  Any tips on chasing down the problem will be greatly appreciated as always.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 09:53:01 PM »
Are you sure you have your WU station ID and password entered into SkySpy correctly?  It should be a slam dunk - the WU protocol is really simple, so there is not much that can go wrong.

Make sure your firewall allows outbound HTTP/Port 80 for SkySpyService.EXE

Offline spork

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 02:55:16 AM »
Are you sure you have your WU station ID and password entered into SkySpy correctly?

I'm pretty sure I do.  But anything is possible.

It should be a slam dunk - the WU protocol is really simple, so there is not much that can go wrong.

You can try and make it fool-proof - but I may prove to be a better fool.

Make sure your firewall allows outbound HTTP/Port 80 for SkySpyService.EXE

I need to check that.  Perhaps that's the problem.

For what it's worth the MiniWeb is updating on my computer - but I'm not able to update its location or title.  Right now it reads:

"My Web Site zzzzz"
and
"Location:  Over Yonder zzzzz"

I think these are the strings you entered by hand in my .ini file.  It's not that I need the mini-web to work.  Just thought this might offer a hint.

I'll see what I can do with the firewall and report back.  Thanks!

Offline spork

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 12:27:44 AM »
I added an outbound rule to my Firewall to allow SkySpyService.  I'm not yet seeing updates on WeatherUnderground, but it's not clear to me whether I should be seeing them right away (within minutes) or should expect to wait a day or more.  There are notes on WeatherUnderground that suggest a station that hasn't been sending data will not update for a day or so when it starts sending data again.  The page I'm looking at is:

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KCAMOUNT56

Offline spork

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 02:43:41 AM »
I've got it updating WeatherUnderground!!! 

But something is still weird almost beyond description with my SkySpy.ini file.   If I open it with Notepad I'm looking at one file - and if I open it with VI I'm looking at another file.  If I update it through SpySkyMonitor the VI file gets updated - but the Notepad version does not.

If I copy the .ini file to another folder the wave function collapses and that new file is the Notepad version whether I open it with Notepad or VI.  I am considering consulting an exorcist - but as always any tips from developers and users are most appreciated.

Bottom line - when I edit the file by hand using Notepad it uploads to WeatherUnderground and all is happy.

Offline keckec

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 08:37:53 PM »
But something is still weird almost beyond description with my SkySpy.ini file.   If I open it with Notepad I'm looking at one file - and if I open it with VI I'm looking at another file.  If I update it through SpySkyMonitor the VI file gets updated - but the Notepad version does not.

If I copy the .ini file to another folder the wave function collapses and that new file is the Notepad version whether I open it with Notepad or VI.  I am considering consulting an exorcist - but as always any tips from developers and users are most appreciated.

Bottom line - when I edit the file by hand using Notepad it uploads to WeatherUnderground and all is happy.
Could be a CRLF vs LF issue. Perhaps VI is terminating lines (converting them?) to Unix format (just LF), whereas Notepad is terminating (converting?) to DOS format (CRLF). There is likely a setting in VI to leave it alone, or leave it as DOS format.

Offline spork

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 10:40:30 PM »
I don't think it's a CR/LF vs. LF issue because the file is formatted fine in both editors.  But it has different parameters in each.  It's very much like the two editors are simply looking at two different copies of the file. 

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 10:03:08 PM »
I found and fixed some problems with the SkySpy.ini file handler that caused corruption and inadvertent erasing of settings.

I am close to a new release that has loads of reliability fixes plus.... Alerts!

I have it chugging away here sending me Emails/SMS Texts when weather conditions go outside limits I set in ssMonitor. 

SMS Texting is only available through your phone carrier's email port by using an email address something like 3605551212@messaging.sprintpcs.com where 3605551212 is your mobile number.  Don't click the link - it is a fake number.

In the next version I have removed support for external MySQL databases. It was a support nightmare.  SkySpy now uses the embedded database only.  You can still retrieve your weather data from Wunderground.

I hope to have a beta ready sometime in the next week.

Here is the new layout for the Alert Settings page in ssMonitor.  You can set alarm limits and also how often you want to be Texted/Emailed when bad weather hits:

And a typical SMS weather alert message:

Offline spork

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 01:31:21 AM »
You're our hero!  Thanks.

By the way - I have had the menus go wonky on me a few times.  The first time it happened I figured I must have done something screwy.  But I'm starting to think I haven't caused it every time.  Is it possible this is related to the .ini file too?

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 12:45:08 PM »
The Menu/ribbon bar/button layout is stored in the Windows Registry, not the INI file.  I will look into it, but I haven't seen any problems on my desktop.

If you are feeling brave, you can reset the menus/ribbon buttons to factory defaults by first closing the ssMonitor app.  Then open the Windows Registry using regedit.exe and delete the following keys/values:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ssMonitor\TssMainFrm\BarManager

Just delete the entire BarManager folder by right-clicking on it and select Delete.

Don't delete any other registry entries or you may break Windows or your other apps!

When you restart ssMonitor, it will recreate the registry entry with all default menu/bar locations.

You can also put things back by editing the menus inside ssMonitor, but it is tricky and not documented in the manual. 

I don't recommend messing with the menus using right-click on the ribbon, and selecting "Customize the Ribbon".  There is not much point to customizing this simple ribbon, and you will probably hide some important buttons.

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 12:46:57 AM »
Looks like I may  pass on the next version, as I like the external database. We'll see.
//
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message though a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

Offline spork

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 10:58:37 PM »
You can also put things back by editing the menus inside ssMonitor, but it is tricky and not documented in the manual. 

That's how I've always corrected it so far.  It was a little tricky - but I'm getting the hang of it.

I don't recommend messing with the menus using right-click on the ribbon, and selecting "Customize the Ribbon".  There is not much point to customizing this simple ribbon, and you will probably hide some important buttons.

The only time I've done that is to try and recover the lost items.

Offline costa2

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 09:05:17 AM »
Hi .

In Europe, this system is sold by TFA and TechnoLine.
I tried to connect SkySpy with Technoline Mobile-Alerts, it is not running.

http://www.technoline-berlin.de/details.php?id=1898&kat=84

Is Skyspy bound to the firmware?

Yet another problem with the Cloudserver, you get no user data from Technoline.
http://www.data199.com/

Volker from Germany.

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 02:06:02 AM »
I did not see our system listed on the Web site.  Software should only work with c84612 weather station.
//
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message though a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

Offline costa2

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 03:29:12 AM »
Sorry,

I thought the thread is about the GW1000U ERF-100.
The GW1000U ERF-100 is the same Hardware like Technoline MA.

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/1269520/?WT.ac=mobile_alerts_1269520

Volker
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 03:36:16 AM by costa2 »

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 12:17:28 PM »
It might work, and it costs nothing to try  :grin:

I kind of doubt that La Crosse would use separate firmware or data protocol for the Gateway on every weather station that uses it.  Also, it would make their web page server software hellish to write/maintain.  Remember that SkySpy emulates their web server and fools the GW module into thinking it is talking to La Crosse.

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 04:29:02 PM »
It seems to me that they report to two different Web sites. We report to lacrosse and those temp unit report to www.data199.com. The data199 Web sites is different from ours.  I tried sending our data to 199 without success.
 \:D/
//
//

Offline Flying_Carlos

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 05:46:18 PM »
Excelent work Skydvrz!!!. I was reading the thread from the beginning with the same idea of Rockhopper and 370Dancer, that is : try to use SkySpy with the Gateway GW-1000U and the sensor TX-60U, instead of the weather station.
It looks like the communication between SkySpy and the gateway is ok,  but SkySpy  doesn't get any data. I used SSmonitor.exe  and the debug window showed always the following two messages:
            Ping Received
            RTC Packet Request
If you open  the localhost:8000 page the debug window shows the GET as you already explained.
Then I started WireShark and I saw that the only HTPP talking was that the gateway sent a PUT and SkySpy answered with OK.
I checked embedded in ssmonitor and also in SkySpy.ini and both were checked.
Is it possible as Rockhopper suggest that the information send by TX-60U is not the kind of SkySpy is wating for?.
I attached the two image from SSmonitor and WireShark
Many thanks for your help.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 02:16:15 PM »
I attached the two image from SSmonitor and WireShark

SkySpy is not detecting the Sensor Data Packet (SDP).  Maybe there are format differences between the two GW module types. 

Can you send me a Wireshark dump of the GW->SkySpy conversation?  I'd need about 30-60 minutes worth.  Next, if you could do a capture of the GW talking to La Crosse over a similar time period, I could see if there is a communications protocol difference between my GW model and yours.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 02:17:52 PM by skydvrz »

Offline costa2

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 11:39:54 AM »
Hi.

In the Attachment is a Wireshark log of my Mobile-Alerts Gateway as a zip File.
I think it works not with SkySpy.

Volker

Offline Flying_Carlos

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 08:17:03 PM »
SkyDrvz

I'm attaching the traffic without SkySpy between GW(ip 192.168.137.127) and Lacrosse using wireshark and the filter "host 192.168.137.127 and tcp port http". I don't have an old hub, so I used ICS on my win 7 Notebook. For the capture of traffic between GW(now ip 192.168.1.100) - SkySpy(ip 192.1681.10) - Lacrosse, I installed the SkySpy service ,and without ICS ,I captured only everything on port 8000(filter tcp port 8000), because I didn't see any traffic between SpySpy and Lacrosse.
I you want I can download from the lacrosse alert system the temp & %HR registered during aprox. the same time.
Thank you for your help!!

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 09:56:43 PM »
Carlos,

I'm attaching the traffic without SkySpy between GW(ip 192.168.137.127) and Lacrosse using wireshark and the filter "host 192.168.137.127 and tcp port http". I don't have an old hub, so I used ICS on my win 7 Notebook. For the capture of traffic between GW(now ip 192.168.1.100) - SkySpy(ip 192.1681.10) -

That should work.  You might also be able use a PC that has two network ports.  You'd have to figure out a way to route packets from the Gateway port to the second one that is connected to your LAN/Internet.

I installed the SkySpy service ,and without ICS ,I captured only everything on port 8000(filter tcp port 8000), because I didn't see any traffic between SpySpy and Lacrosse.

SkySpy replaces the entire La Crosse server, so there will be no traffic from your gateway to there.  If there is, then you have it set up wrong  :grin:

I you want I can download from the lacrosse alert system the temp & %HR registered during aprox. the same time.

I am working on the Alert feature in SkySpy now...  Actually it is complete, but there are some other really tough bugs I need to fix before I can release the next version.

The SkySpy Alert system will work very much like the La Crosse alerts.  You set up the min/max values in ssMonitor and this tells the SkySpyService to email you if any of the sensor readings are dangerous.

I need weather alerts myself as I own a small ranch and I don't want my animals to die if the weather turns bad.

I already posted some screen shots of the new SkySpy alert page and what it the SMS texts look like on my phone.

I need to work on the SkySpy bugs for now, but I will look at your Wireshark captures as soon as I can.

Best regards,

Kevin
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 09:58:58 PM by skydvrz »

Offline Joelm

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2015, 05:34:20 AM »
Having trouble at logon  Ver 1.1.0.177 after successful use for a couple months.
Since rebooting the computer the first initialization of Skyspy asks "Log into database" - ID and password are blank.  From login screen click Advanced and Database Server Hostname is blank.  Database port number is 3306.  DB Schema is blank
I've guessed around and really don't think I ever created an ID.
Recommendation?
Windows 7

Joel - reporting to Wunderground personal station KCABENIC2

Offline Joelm

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2015, 05:37:46 AM »
Will the next version provide direct reporting to Weatherflow?