Author Topic: Disgusted  (Read 4650 times)

Offline Inverno

• Senior Contributor
Disgusted
« on: January 05, 2016, 02:11:15 PM »
I thought the dual panel problems were all over with after reading the forums on here and seeing people finally having stable temperatures in full sun.  So my dad wanted a weather station and I recommended the 5 in 1.  About 3 weeks after he buys it, I'm noticing the temperature spikes during full sunlight.  He's about 8-10 degrees high as of now and rising.  His installation is perfect, solar panels facing due south, etc. 

Offline daman

• Forecaster
Re: Disgusted
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 03:28:00 PM »
That's a pretty good spike did you test the fan before installation?,, remove sensor and inspect, it may be rubbing on the side of the sensor housing.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 04:53:21 PM »
I thought the dual panel problems were all over with after reading the forums on here and seeing people finally having stable temperatures in full sun.  So my dad wanted a weather station and I recommended the 5 in 1.  About 3 weeks after he buys it, I'm noticing the temperature spikes during full sunlight.  He's about 8-10 degrees high as of now and rising.  His installation is perfect, solar panels facing due south, etc. 

Disappointing to see this. I thought this problem had been addressed properly after all the commotion last summer?

Offline Inverno

• Senior Contributor
Disgusted
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 05:02:24 PM »
Daman, my father lives 3 hours away. He installed it, then I later got him up on Aculink and weather underground.  No one should have to test any sensor by disassembling it before use.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 05:14:24 PM »
Daman, my father lives 3 hours away. He installed it, then I later got him up on Aculink and weather underground.  No one should have to test any sensor by disassembling it before use.
Not disassemble it but hold it up to a light bulb and confirm that the fan is operational before installing, things do get missed at the factory, confirm its operation if not working then inspect, these things are simple to disassemble, no big deal.

Before my 5n1 went up I confirmed everything was operational if not I would have been on the phone with customer service and returning if necessary.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 05:16:05 PM by daman »
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 05:27:58 PM »
I imagine there are still some problem units in the pipeline.  Call customer service and request the updated fan.

If you get a really "fresh" 5n1, they have also modified the temp/humidity sensor so that it is user-replaceable.

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 12:00:19 AM »
"If you get a really "fresh" 5n1, they have also modified the temp/humidity sensor so that it is user-replaceable."  .Hey, that's good to know!  Thanks for the info

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 09:20:19 AM »
I've found my problem with the two solar panels, and likely most owners problems. The solar panels are not aimed like they should be. They need to be angled toward the middle more. When the sun gets into the center of the sensor, (due south) that is when the motor slows down, and in some cases stops completely, and then it doesn't start up again for a while, or get back to full speed causing the daytime temp to be 5* F or even 8* F on some days high. What we need is a solar panel in the center or to angle the two on there more into the center. If anyone knows a good way to do this, I am betting this will take care of a lot of problems. My sensor does great and keeps within 1* F of my new acurite tower sensor in a large inverted bowl shield until the hours of 11 AM to 3 PM. Many think the motors are failing, but I am doubting most actually are bad. If there isn't enough power to run it full speed, it will be slow.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:23:47 AM by DoctorKnow »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 09:32:34 AM »
I've found my problem with the two solar panels, and likely most owners problems. The solar panels are not aimed like they should be. They need to be angled toward the middle more. When the sun gets into the center of the sensor, (due south) that is when the motor slows down, and in some cases stops completely, and then it doesn't start up again for a while, or get back to full speed causing the daytime temp to be 5* F or even 8* F on some days high. What we need is a solar panel in the center or to angle the two on there more into the center. If anyone knows a good way to do this, I am betting this will take care of a lot of problems. My sensor does great and keeps within 1* F of my new acurite tower sensor in a large inverted bowl shield until the hours of 11 AM to 3 PM. Many think the motors are failing, but I am doubting most actually are bad. If there isn't enough power to run it full speed, it will be slow.

(*sigh*)

Just how many times has this been said before?  Good grief. 

The dual panels were never meant to be a solution for everybody.  That's why the single panel actually works better than the dual panel for many folks.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 09:58:43 AM »

(*sigh*)

The dual panels were never meant to be a solution for everybody.  That's why the single panel actually works better than the dual panel for many folks.

Unbelievable.

Where has it been shown that anyone added a panel to the center? Who is this thing supposed to be an answer for if it fails? The one panel doesn't start up on time and shuts down too soon. The dual panels don't run right in the hottest part of the day... The way to keep the motor running on that one is to add a third panel. I already popped out a panel on my spare dual head. It is simple to just pry it out, and now it has to be wired into the other two panels on the sensor. Should be very easy to wire it, the problem is where the panel should be placed? In between the two existing, or in front of the rain gauge... Sorry you have burs in your saddle this morning. ROFL

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 10:14:55 AM »

(*sigh*)

Unbelievable.

Where has it been shown that anyone added a panel to the center? Who is this thing supposed to be an answer for if it fails? The one panel doesn't start up on time and shuts down too soon. The dual panels don't run right in the hottest part of the day... The way to keep the motor running on that one is to add a third panel. I already popped out a panel on my spare dual head. It is simple to just pry it out, and now it has to be wired into the other two panels on the sensor. Should be very easy to wire it, the problem is where the panel should be placed? In between the two existing, or in front of the rain gauge... Sorry you have burs in your saddle this morning. ROFL

Yes, you are unbelievable.

Folks have been adding extra panels for quite some time, even on the dual panels.

It doesn't matter much where you mount the extra panel as long as it's facing up and doesn't interfere with operation.  Several have mounted them lower on the pole opposite the 5n1.

Nothing new here... move on, Dr. Know.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 10:35:29 AM »

(*sigh*)

Unbelievable.

Yes, you are unbelievable.

Nothing new here... move on, Dr. Know.

What are you afraid of? I don't take orders from anyone on the interweb. Get over it. Too bad we can't just plug in another solar panel. It's not the motor.

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 10:38:39 AM »
Or you can do what I did and run a wire from the house to the motor.  That eliminates the problem.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 10:51:19 AM »
Or you can do what I did and run a wire from the house to the motor.  That eliminates the problem.
I know you did that, and I am glad it works for you, but for me and most owners, it would be easier to solder on another solar panel and attach it somewhere pointing due south. You can actually buy solar panels on amazon or ebay for like $4 if you need one. :) Many though are new to this station and don't understand what to do to get the wiring hooked up or how to get inside all the sections of the sensor. It may be better for a novice to just pop out a panel drill a small hole, fish the wire in and solder directly to the back of the panel. The hole can be sealed up after.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 10:52:02 AM »
What are you afraid of? I don't take orders from anyone on the interweb. Get over it. Too bad we can't just plug in another solar panel. It's not the motor.

Gee, it's awfully odd that the new motors seem to have made a lot of users happy, so there must have been some sort of problem with them.

Still, the dual-panel arrangement has never been a cure-all for everyone.  That's been known since they first came out.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 11:08:02 AM »

Gee, it's awfully odd that the new motors seem to have made a lot of users happy, so there must have been some sort of problem with them.

Still, the dual-panel arrangement has never been a cure-all for everyone.  That's been known since they first came out.

I'm thinking the lack of power to them made them fail, or the running too slow from low voltage, but what do I know... haha

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 11:15:51 AM »
I'm thinking the lack of power to them made them fail, or the running too slow from low voltage, but what do I know... haha

You're wrong, but at least it's a more scientific theory than your blaming the nationality of the capacitors.   #-o

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 11:22:54 AM »

You're wrong, but at least it's a more scientific theory than your blaming the nationality of the capacitors.   #-o

You enjoy that quite a lot don't you? You have a nice day.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 04:22:36 PM »
Long story short, AcuRite has been in business a longgggg time now!! they shouldn't have to rely on their CUSTOMERS to test and then report problems with their 5 in 1 stations. Come on, it's a million dollar company. What are you all receiving from AR for your hassle, aggravations, etc for these defective units? It's ridiculous to think that after all of the failures with the 5 in 1 they STILL can't get it right? Even Davis has a much better track record than this! SMH.  ](*,)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2016, 04:26:48 PM »
Long story short, AcuRite has been in business a longgggg time now!! they shouldn't have to rely on their CUSTOMERS to test and then report problems with their 5 in 1 stations. Come on, it's a million dollar company. What are you all receiving from AR for your hassle, aggravations, etc for these defective units? It's ridiculous to think that after all of the failures with the 5 in 1 they STILL can't get it right? Even Davis has a much better track record than this! SMH.  ](*,)

Customers complained.  Acurite addressed them.

If you're not satisfied with the results, get a refund and move on.

I don't see why some have such a problem with that.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 04:44:16 PM »

Customers complained.  Acurite addressed them.

If you're not satisfied with the results, get a refund and move on.

I don't see why some have such a problem with that.

LOL I have no problem with it because I do NOT have a single AcuRite piece of equipment. I have a Davis, a Maximum, a Heathkit ID-4001 and a Rainwise. 'Nuff said.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2016, 04:47:38 PM »
LOL I have no problem with it because I do NOT have a single AcuRite piece of equipment. I have a Davis, a Maximum, a Heathkit ID-4001 and a Rainwise. 'Nuff said.

Then you're not exactly knowledgeable of the situation, are you?

You're apparently just want to stir stuff up.

'Nuff said.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2016, 04:52:14 PM »

Then you're not exactly knowledgeable of the situation, are you?

You're apparently just want to stir stuff up.

'Nuff said.

Ummm, no I'm not here to stir things up. I'm here to read, learn and share experiences, but more than that I'm here to express an opinion when I feel the need. If you, sir, don't like that, I suggest you contact the moderator(s) of the group and file a complaint against me because there was NOTHING wrong with what I expressed earlier. Do you own stock with AcuRite? If not then why would you care of my opinion of their customer service as well as the quality of their equipment? Now, you, sir, have a good weekend, and onward. Don't accuse me of wanting to stir things up... NOT my intent!

Offline ALITTLEweird1

• Mark
  • Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • North Bend Weather
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2016, 07:58:08 PM »
nincehelser lets try to keep it peaceful and stay on topic.

"Nature can do without man, but man cannot do without nature."

Software: WeatherDisplay
Hardware: Davis VP2 + VP2 Solar + VP2 UV + Lightning Detector + Logitech Webcam + Soil temp + Soil Moisture

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2016, 08:08:16 PM »
Ummm, no I'm not here to stir things up. I'm here to read, learn and share experiences, but more than that I'm here to express an opinion when I feel the need. If you, sir, don't like that, I suggest you contact the moderator(s) of the group and file a complaint against me because there was NOTHING wrong with what I expressed earlier. Do you own stock with AcuRite? If not then why would you care of my opinion of their customer service as well as the quality of their equipment? Now, you, sir, have a good weekend, and onward. Don't accuse me of wanting to stir things up... NOT my intent!

It sure sounds as if you are.  You certainly don't seem too aware of the lengths Acurite has taken to resolve these problems.

And then you come back and brag you have no problem because you do "NOT" have a single Acurite piece of equipment.

Sure sounds like trolling to me.

Trolling? Really?? Hmmmm. It wasn't a brag, it was just stating what I have. i have worked hard to get what equipment that I have. And again if you do not like my topic replies either report me to your moderator or ignore me. I never aimed any of my commentary to you to begin with.

anything