Author Topic: start watch opening vws twice  (Read 10194 times)

Offline MoradaWx

• Marada, Stockton, CA
  • Senior Contributor
  • I see sunshine. Let me out!
Re: start watch opening vws twice
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2009, 07:45:30 PM »
it appears that start watch is trying to open VVP,VWS and WL over and over even though it is already open and connected.

My problem is with everything start watch is controling not just VWS

Rick

Rick/Morada, CA
Davis VP2+ wireless w/24Hr fan, Enovoy & Console
VWS 14.01p31,WeatherLink5.9.2,VP live,Virtual VP, StartWatch

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2009, 12:02:05 AM »
I am almost ready to switch to my new Acer Netbook as the main weather system and am hoping that will take care of the restart problems.

Seems like you had fits with that in years past too like I did especially with the older versions.  I've had p97 running for 5 days now and memory is holding at 80-81Mb.  But I have not had it running on my laptop for any length of time to know how it's doing on it.  My laptop is where I still get that intermittent problem and for the life of me I can not figure out for sure why.  I've always suspected it had something to do with the wireless connection or just the data coming through the home network from the other computer.  I have though on one occasion found in the past turning off all data uploads and downloads from WeatherUnderground to solve the leak.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2009, 12:13:17 AM »
it appears that start watch is trying to open VVP,VWS and WL over and over even though it is already open and connected.

My problem is with everything start watch is controling not just VWS

Rick

Any changes in firewall and/or antivirus or antispyware settings, programs or updates around the time the problems started?

In the past I found ZoneAlarm would render Startwatch unable to monitor programs or allow restarts.  It was the versions back when they first added the antisypware capability to it.  I'm now running ZA Pro version 8, and Avast! without problems.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline MoradaWx

• Marada, Stockton, CA
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2009, 08:50:57 PM »
As I stated earlier, I had installed Norton 360 a few days ago and I rebooted then without any problems. I exited SW today and manually opened VWS and WL and all seems to be fine. Kinda defeats the purpose of SW though. I want to be able to leave my house for extended periods and have it keep the system up and running with out worry.

Rick

Rick/Morada, CA

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2009, 11:57:24 PM »
Rick,

Had another thought on this.  Did you take a look at task manager to see what your cpu usage is?  I wonder if something could be loading it down making the programs start up much slower thus StartWatch trying to start them a second time.

On my 466Mhz computer I have the programs stretched out to startup over about a 10 minute period one at a time.

I assume you already have a check mark in the little box next to "Don't start another copy if already running" in the section for setting up the individual programs?
Mark 

Offline MoradaWx

• Marada, Stockton, CA
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2009, 12:30:29 AM »
Mark,
Thanks for still thinking ...lol. I often go awhile with what I call "Squirrels" in the back of my head and some day they jump out with the obvious nuts or answers.

I know the "don't start twice" box was checked, but I will go back and double check! As for stretching out start times, I have tried to move them out over 5 minutes with no success. I have delayed or turned off items down to the basics in my start menu and nothing. I had become so frustrated after it working so well for so long, that when I got the programs up and running with out SW, I took a break and I'm going to see if the whole system is more stable with out it. I am going on a short trip in a few weeks and I will be bummed if I can't get it working before I leave.

Rick

Rick/Morada, CA

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 08:43:02 PM »
I just started testing StartWatch today so I'll let you know what I see. I have the latest and greatest VWS (p100) and the latest StartWatch.

I'm beginning to wonder if my Scheduled Task reboots using the Windows scheduler is not the best idea. I use to have it scheduled every six hours and almost never had an issue.

Offline MoradaWx

• Marada, Stockton, CA
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 10:10:35 PM »
DW, please let me know what you find. I can go weeks with no problem and then it starts rebooting like crazy. Windows updates are turned off and I do nothing else with this PC other than have a web cam on it, but there are no uploads of any kind except UnderGround.

Rick

Rick/Morada, CA

Offline MoradaWx

• Marada, Stockton, CA
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 10:16:16 PM »
I am going on a short trip in a few weeks and I will be bummed if I can't get it working before I leave.

By the way, it did survive the time away from home. We had over 2" of rain in less than 24 hour while gone. I don't remember when we got 2" in a week much less 24 hours. I was sitting on the coast watching the beautiful weather storm enjoying some wine with the wife playing cards and watching my house get a complete wash job....lol

Rick/Morada, CA