Author Topic: Atlas display frozen  (Read 22764 times)

Offline lwman

Atlas display frozen
« on: April 18, 2019, 08:06:23 PM »
I have an Atlas with the touch screen display and noticed today that a generic screen is displayed and it says to "TOUCH SCREEN DISPLAY". The display does not respond when touching the screen. I see no way to reset it. Can anybody help me restart this display or will I have to use the warranty?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Atlas display frozen
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 08:12:22 PM »
At the bottom of the frame is a small plastic panel that can be removed.  There you will find a USB connector and a push button.

Try power cycling the display while holding that button down.  After a few seconds it should reset to the normal display screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lwman

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 08:32:14 PM »
I tried that several times with no luck. When I hold the button in and power it a black screen is displayed and nothing is displayed until I unplug it and repower it without the button depressed. The display then indicates to touch the screen but it does not respond when touching. Any other ideas?

Offline radioman61

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 08:37:45 AM »
Try leaving it unpowered for an hour.  Shouldn't take that long for any caps to discharge but nothing to lose.

Offline lwman

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 08:55:39 AM »
I left it unplugged overnight and after plugging it in this morning, it still does not respond.

Offline giveme5

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 12:56:34 PM »
I left it unplugged overnight and after plugging it in this morning, it still does not respond.

Hi there!

Did you manage to reset it or did you have to return it under warranty? Mine froze today. After power cycle it just displays splash screen and stays there. Reset button does nothing. If I hold it during powerup it stays blank.

Atlas turned into very frustrating experience.

Offline lwman

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 03:11:45 PM »

[/quote]

Hi there!

Did you manage to reset it or did you have to return it under warranty? Mine froze today. After power cycle it just displays splash screen and stays there. Reset button does nothing. If I hold it during powerup it stays blank.

Atlas turned into very frustrating experience.
[/quote]

I sent it back last week and haven't heard anything yet. I couldn't get into the screen to reset it. I'm not aware of any physical reset button. I don't believe the button you're referring to is actually a reset button.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 03:23:43 PM »
Yes, it is a reset button.

Offline lwman

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 04:06:52 PM »
I guess they left that out of the manual. I found nothing in the manual about a physical reset button.

Offline giveme5

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 05:34:28 PM »
I sent it back last week and haven't heard anything yet. I couldn't get into the screen to reset it. I'm not aware of any physical reset button. I don't believe the button you're referring to is actually a reset button.

Thank you, I have contacted Acurite for warranty replacement.

Offline wxwolf

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 02:15:35 PM »
I had this same issue, my Atlas display froze and am currently on 21 days waiting for Acurite to send me the replacement. First they were going to Warranty the display, then 13 days ago they said they were going to send me a new power supply only.

Really, really disappointed in how my warranty support has been handled.

Edit: My display get stuck on the AcuRite splash screen.

Offline captainjackfan58

• Acurite Atlas/w/ Acurite Access
    • BloomSky SKY and Storm PWS Live Info With Cam
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 05:09:49 PM »
At the bottom of the frame is a small plastic panel that can be removed.  There you will find a USB connector and a push button.

Try power cycling the display while holding that button down.  After a few seconds it should reset to the normal display screen.

Now I am worried I bought a used one from someone and waiting in the mail for it. Now am I going to have the same problem with my station display?
Eye On The Sky Live Hyper-Local Weather Station

Join My Facebook Weather Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/600853683742496/

Here Is My (WU) Live Weather Station Information!
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KOHNAPOL51

Here Is My Bloomsky Sky And Storm
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KOHNAPOL56

Here Is My Bloomsky Live Cam And Timelapse Please Feel Free To Follow Me.

https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/faBiuZWsq6eqn5ij

This is my Acurite Atlas Live Station!
https://www.myacurite.com/#/dashboard

Offline lwman

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 07:56:37 PM »
I got my display back this morning and it seems to be working ok. There was no explanation of what happened to it or how it was repaired.

Offline giveme5

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 06:43:41 PM »
I got my display back this morning and it seems to be working ok. There was no explanation of what happened to it or how it was repaired.

That's good news.

In my case, not so much.
AcuRite sent me replacement power supply instead (different kind but same specs, 5V 1A), which did NOT fix the issue. Still stuck on splash screen.
Oh, well...

Offline captainjackfan58

• Acurite Atlas/w/ Acurite Access
    • BloomSky SKY and Storm PWS Live Info With Cam
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 08:45:50 AM »
Mine Is Working Just Fine! Have Not Had Any Issues So Far!
Eye On The Sky Live Hyper-Local Weather Station

Join My Facebook Weather Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/600853683742496/

Here Is My (WU) Live Weather Station Information!
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KOHNAPOL51

Here Is My Bloomsky Sky And Storm
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KOHNAPOL56

Here Is My Bloomsky Live Cam And Timelapse Please Feel Free To Follow Me.

https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/faBiuZWsq6eqn5ij

This is my Acurite Atlas Live Station!
https://www.myacurite.com/#/dashboard

Offline wxwolf

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2019, 09:39:03 PM »

That's good news.

In my case, not so much.
AcuRite sent me replacement power supply instead (different kind but same specs, 5V 1A), which did NOT fix the issue. Still stuck on splash screen.
Oh, well...

They sent me a whole new display, but it came with a broken/blocked SD card slot out of the box, so now on week 6 with no working display. Really unhappy with how AcuRite has handled this.

Offline wxwolf

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2019, 10:25:50 PM »

That's good news.

In my case, not so much.
Oh, well...

They sent me a whole new display, but it came with a broken/blocked SD card slot out of the box, so now on week 6 with no working display. Really unhappy with how AcuRite has handled this.

I did get a 2nd replacement display and im back up and running finally!

Offline Victoria

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2019, 07:16:32 PM »
Sorry to hear about the trouble, wxwolf. FYI if anyone runs into this specific issue, please contact our support team and we'll get it resolved.

Offline lwman

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2019, 07:29:28 PM »
The display that was repaired for me stopped working about a week after I got it back. I then got a new display and it has been working fine.

Offline giveme5

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2019, 09:11:55 PM »
According to tracking number, mine was received by Chaney Customer Support on May 15. Probably 2 more weeks...  :sad:

Offline anotherwxwolf

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2019, 10:18:21 PM »
Hey all! Atlas owner here.

Mine froze a few days ago and nothing I did could make it work. Acurite is shipping me another display unit and stated in the support email, "I have ordered a new Atlas display for you, this will go to our quality control department for testing for approx 3 days before shipping. We are not asking that you send back the defective display."

They don't want the old one back. Interesting.

I'm also curious about the micro USB port on the bottom of the unit. When plugged into my PC, nothing comes up in device manager, so I wonder if they rearranged the pins so only a special cable works? Or maybe specialized diag hardware? But based on the fact that they do not want my old unit back, I'm doubting that any repairs/reflash/etc could be done through this port. How odd!

I also wonder if the software version is different for the new one. The old version is v.04n

We'll see!
Awoo!

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2019, 11:32:12 PM »
Where did you find the software version at ? Also I just check and my sd card is working and full of Microsoft excel files . But when you look at it under " your pc " it shows empty but if you double click the drive letter the files show up . Go figure !!

Hey all! Atlas owner here.

Mine froze a few days ago and nothing I did could make it work. Acurite is shipping me another display unit and stated in the support email, "I have ordered a new Atlas display for you, this will go to our quality control department for testing for approx 3 days before shipping. We are not asking that you send back the defective display."

They don't want the old one back. Interesting.

I'm also curious about the micro USB port on the bottom of the unit. When plugged into my PC, nothing comes up in device manager, so I wonder if they rearranged the pins so only a special cable works? Or maybe specialized diag hardware? But based on the fact that they do not want my old unit back, I'm doubting that any repairs/reflash/etc could be done through this port. How odd!

I also wonder if the software version is different for the new one. The old version is v.04n

We'll see!

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2019, 11:33:53 PM »
Add me to the list! Mine froze for the first time tonight. If I unplug the power and plug it back in, I can get it to go thru the setup screens but it will freeze shortly after finishing the setup screens. It will then become unresponsive to anything I do to try to get it to work.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline anotherwxwolf

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2019, 11:37:04 PM »
Where did you find the software version at...

It's on the splash screen :) Gotta catch it quick! Unless of course, yours stays frozen like mine :|

Also, as a minor followup, I've taken my old unit apart just to see what's inside. As I thought, the USB pinout is not standard. The ground and mode detect/ID pins are swapped.
Edit: They aren't swapped. I just stripped a usb cable and pulled out the ohm meter and mapped the pins.
I doubt I'll go any further since I'm not an electronics engineer, but still good to know I guess. Sorry for all the image spam!

« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 12:32:24 AM by anotherwxwolf »
Awoo!

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2019, 11:43:09 PM »
Thanks mine say V04M yes "M"  Mines a couple of weeks old and from Amazon

Where did you find the software version at...

It's on the splash screen :) Gotta catch it quick! Unless of course, yours stays frozen like mine :|

« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 11:50:45 PM by Mabcmb »