Author Topic: Add free wunderground  (Read 5036 times)

Offline jpk1018

• Senior Contributor
  • http://www.madrussianweather.com/#
    • Mad Russian
Add free wunderground
« on: November 25, 2016, 02:32:11 PM »
Started seeing advertisement on my WU page. I had paid for the premium service sometime ago, but could not remember for how long it was for. So I forked over the $10 for add free and was just thinking to myself how ironic it is. Here I am sending them my weather info for free and I have to pay to see it without the annoying adds. Granted I know they have to make their $ but would it hurt them that much to give us contributors to their web site a break.  :shock:

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Add free wunderground
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 02:38:10 PM »
Well I think there are several reasons for that:
- do you really think your 10 dollars would cover the costs and make profit?
- my guess is that 80% of their regular visitors are people who also send data, so not displaying ads would practically eliminate ads at all

Question is - would you be willing to pay more if they really removed them?

I can understand that, though what I dont really understand is why they have this at all. What exactly did you pay for if you are saying you see them...

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 02:39:27 PM »
Started seeing advertisement on my WU page. I had paid for the premium service sometime ago, but could not remember for how long it was for. So I forked over the $10 for add free and was just thinking to myself how ironic it is. Here I am sending them my weather info for free and I have to pay to see it without the annoying adds. Granted I know they have to make their $ but would it hurt them that much to give us contributors to their web site a break.  :shock:

If you registered your PWS directly with WU, it should be ad-free. If your WU page came via CWOP or some other site, ads will result.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 06:45:45 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline jpk1018

• Senior Contributor
    • Mad Russian
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 02:42:47 PM »
Sure I registered through WU. Never new that it wasn't an option. 

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 02:56:51 PM »

If you registered your PWS directly with WU, it should be ad-free. If your WU page came via CWOP or someother site, ads will result.

But thats what Im trying to tell you, my guess is that vast majority of regular users are people who also have their data there, so how should they make money then.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 03:07:04 PM »

If you registered your PWS directly with WU, it should be ad-free. If your WU page came via CWOP or someother site, ads will result.

But thats what Im trying to tell you, my guess is that vast majority of regular users are people who also have their data there, so how should they make money then.

Since WU is now owned by IBM, you can't feel sorry for them. Why IBM wanted to own them is beyond me! However, a major business periodical stated it was because of the data that the Weather Company has--including from my PWS--which is probably why WU agrees to not show ads for folks that share their data!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 04:44:55 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 03:12:41 PM »
I definitely don´t feel sorry for them, but they have to cover their costs, that´s obvious... they are not a charity...

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Re: Ad free wunderground
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 03:16:57 PM »
I definitely don´t feel sorry for them, but they have to cover their costs, that´s obvious... they are not a charity...

As a retired businessman myself, I agree 100%, but when you sign up to send your data to WU, they explicitly state that you get no ads.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 03:23:16 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 04:11:10 PM »
Hmm, I didnt know that and if it is the case then you are absolutely right. I will check it.

P.S. Thanks to one add-on I havent seen any ads for a very long time anyway :D ;)

Offline vreihen

• El Nińo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 04:40:10 PM »
I was one of their first paying customers, dropping five dollars per year since they started collecting money so that I could get email alerts of NWS watches and warnings.  When I started feeding them PWS data a few years ago, they renewed my membership every year for free after that.  I would put nothing past WU for this being another bug, let me ask if you are sure that you are using the same email address and user ID to view the weather and upload to your PWS?????
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 05:07:27 PM »
When I logged out of my WU account and turned of ad block I saw ads (overlapping half of the wundermap....). But when I log in, it disappears.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Re: Ad free wunderground
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 05:19:11 PM »
When I logged out of my WU account and turned of ad block I saw ads (overlapping half of the wundermap....). But when I log in, it disappears.

I wonder if WU is going to start charging PWS owners $10 per year for no ads. Based on wording on sign up page, could be. See screenshot signup page attached. If so, probably helping IBM finance, in a very small way, its $2 billion purchase of the Weather Company which includes WU.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 08:38:21 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2016, 05:27:41 PM »
Well... installing adblock is free and takes about 5 seconds :D So I dont really care to be honest, I didnt even know that I dont see the ads because of some premium membership.

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2016, 07:06:05 PM »
Try logging out of your account and then logging back in and viewing your station. The ads should disappear once you do this logout-login process. I have a free membership and have no ads, but after being signed in for a while (about a month or so without logging out regularly) I notice that ads will randomly start to show on my PWS page, so all I do is logout and then log back into my account and the ads are then once again gone. Not sure why this happens but it's an easy fix.

Hope this is what your looking for and I hope it helps!
   - Matt
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline jpk1018

• Senior Contributor
    • Mad Russian
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2016, 02:03:22 PM »
Went and emailed WU but have heard nothing back yet. Wish I would of tried logging out then back in before paying. But this maybe their new way of doing things, wait and see I guess.

Offline lrosenman

• Contributor
    • Siena Weather
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2016, 02:06:00 PM »
my membership gets moved about once or twice a month:

Handle:lrosenman Status:No-Ads Paid Membership Expiration:2017-11-21 18:31:01 Signed Up:2013-09-22 11:15:58

Offline jpk1018

• Senior Contributor
    • Mad Russian
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 08:34:48 PM »
Got a reply from WU, have to say I was impressed and I also would like to thank Wheaton Ron for enlightening me about it.

Hello,

PWS providers get the ad-free for no charge. I refunded the $10.

If the ads ever show up again, it's likely that the login expired. Signing out / in again usually fixes that.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you,
William
Wunderground Support
 Helpful? Click to give Wunderground Support thanks!

On November 25, 2016 at 5:56 PM jpk1018 <jpk1018@bajabb.com> wrote:

I started seeing adds on my WU weather page so I purchased your $10 premium service. Now someone has stated that I should be add free without paying the $10 since I have been sending you weather data for years. Could you let me know if this is correct and if it is could I get a refund.

John K

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 08:37:48 PM »
Nice :)

Although I do think that this is the only acceptable reaction, I would be very surprised if they didn't offer you a refund.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2016, 08:38:11 PM »
Got a reply from WU, have to say I was impressed and I also would like to thank Wheaton Ron for enlightening me about it.

Hello,

PWS providers get the ad-free for no charge. I refunded the $10.

If the ads ever show up again, it's likely that the login expired. Signing out / in again usually fixes that.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you,
William
Wunderground Support
 Helpful? Click to give Wunderground Support thanks!

On November 25, 2016 at 5:56 PM jpk1018 <jpk1018@bajabb.com> wrote:

I started seeing adds on my WU weather page so I purchased your $10 premium service. Now someone has stated that I should be add free without paying the $10 since I have been sending you weather data for years. Could you let me know if this is correct and if it is could I get a refund.

John K

Glad WU came through!

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2016, 07:13:16 AM »
Signed on to Wunderground and advertisement are showing up.. I send data anyone else seeing this 12/08/2016 7:11am Eastern time?    :roll:   
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2016, 11:25:13 AM »
Signed on to Wunderground and advertisement are showing up.. I send data anyone else seeing this 12/08/2016 7:11am Eastern time?    :roll:   
Try signing out of you account and then signing back in. Always works for me. I have to do this every couple of months or so, because for some reason ads begin showing up after a while for me too. Thankfully re-signing into my account takes care of the problem for a while.
  -Matt
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2016, 12:03:08 PM »
Thanks that worked. Don't remember how many years I've been logged in but it been many. Only the second time I have ever logged in..
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2016, 12:21:35 PM »
Thanks that worked. Don't remember how many years I've been logged in but it been many. Only the second time I have ever logged in..
Glad it worked! Ya it seems as though the login resets on its own after a while and the ads start showing again. At least there's a temporary fix! Lol!
   -Matt
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2016, 12:29:40 PM »
AdBlock and you will never have to worry about logging in/out or ads in general anywhere on the internet...