Author Topic: Sticky post for info  (Read 1664 times)

Offline eyecue

Sticky post for info
« on: April 07, 2017, 03:26:14 PM »
Some of us NOOBS,  might benefit from a sticky that has definitions that are commonly used in all the forum threads and posts.  It would beat looking through countless articles trying to figure out what acronyms or abbreviations mean what in terms of software, hardware, etc. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 10:23:39 PM by eyecue »
Cocorahs, Skywarn, Aficionado of weather. Davis VP2  pro wireless, Oregon Scientific and DIY.

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
Re: Sicky post for info
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 05:36:52 PM »
Agreed. After a couple of weeks here, I am beginning to pick up some of the lingo ... like FARS, CWOP ... but a glossary for newcomers would be quite helpful.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 07:11:49 PM »
Ya know, this is probably a pretty good idea. I'm certainly guilty of assuming folks know what I'm talking about, but I don't want to explain something unnecessarily either.
How to proceed?

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 08:50:14 PM »
Two other things/threads I think would be very useful (as I got asked about this countless times here on the forum as well as by email)

- webhosting - list of providers, your experience with them etc. (I recently posted about this http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=31821.0)
- template comparison - I often see people asking me, or even here, what the differences are between the main available website templates (as far as I know there are four right now), something like a simple table with features of each, what they share, how they differ

And this is just a personal opinion, but I think rearranging the structure of the threads might be useful too. Some threads linked directly from the main wxforum website have not been active for literally years, while several very active threads are as a subthread of a subthread