Author Topic: Weatherlink IP and Orbi Wireless Routers  (Read 10038 times)

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Weatherlink IP and Orbi Wireless Routers
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2017, 05:59:39 AM »
I'm using the davis Envoy which plugs directly into the router.

That would be an Envoy fitted with a WeatherlinkIP logger then.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2017, 06:52:46 AM »
I'm using the davis Envoy which plugs directly into the router.

That would be an Envoy fitted with a WeatherlinkIP logger then.

it would be this:

https://www.davisnet.com/product/wireless-weather-envoy/

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2017, 07:58:17 AM »
it would be this:

Yes; and to which you've then added the WeatherlinkIP logger. (Not seeking to be picky at all, but just trying to avoid spreading the misconception that you can get connect an Envoy to anything else, PC/router/whatever, without first fitting a logger. You can't.)
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2017, 09:46:25 AM »
it would be this:

Yes; and to which you've then added the WeatherlinkIP logger. (Not seeking to be picky at all, but just trying to avoid spreading the misconception that you can get connect an Envoy to anything else, PC/router/whatever, without first fitting a logger. You can't.)

for me the 'logger' came with the Envoy.  all I did was connect it to the router.  The actual Weatherlink software (which I hardly open) is installed on a nearby PC.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2017, 12:04:01 PM »
for me the 'logger' came with the Envoy.

OK, maybe you bought it as second-user? Or conceivably from a dealer that did pre-installation set-up as an extra service? But otherwise that configuration is two separately packaged parts: 6316 Envoy and 6555 WeatherlinkIP. The user then installs the logger in the Envoy prior to use.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread but sometimes new users get the idea that all you need to buy is the Envoy unit itself.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2017, 12:10:37 PM »
for me the 'logger' came with the Envoy.

OK, maybe you bought it as second-user? Or conceivably from a dealer that did pre-installation set-up as an extra service? But otherwise that configuration is two separately packaged parts: 6316 Envoy and 6555 WeatherlinkIP. The user then installs the logger in the Envoy prior to use.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread but sometimes new users get the idea that all you need to buy is the Envoy unit itself.

I believe I bought the whole package from Davis...Envoy with logger and Weatherlink software.  With the quality of the Davis products it becomes something I don't look at everyday.  I do check out my Weatherlink website and that's about it.

Offline rbulson

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2017, 06:52:39 PM »
My WLIP is connected directly via ethernet to my Orbi Router.  I can see it as connected using my Orbi account.  It also now shows an IP address as 10.0.1.50.  I cannot bring up the WLIP configuration page in my browser using this IP address, however.  I am a Mac user so I do not have the WeatherLink software to set this up.

Offline rbulson

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2017, 10:30:08 PM »
Should I change the IP address of the WLIP (currently shown on network as 10.0.1.50) to 192.168.1.xx so that it will upload to Davis Instruments?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2017, 10:38:38 PM »
Unless you can open the WLIP web page then you won't be able to change the IP address.

What is the Gateway IP address of your router?

Offline rbulson

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2017, 11:00:57 PM »
I can't open the WLIP config. page at all. What is the Gateway IP address needed for?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2017, 12:18:36 AM »
I can't open the WLIP config. page at all. What is the Gateway IP address needed for?

So one can gauge what you think you are doing? 10.0.1.50 is what in relation to your router, hence the question re gateway IP of router. The router and WLIP has to be the same domain and we still have absolutely no idea if the WLIP is static or DHCP

Why do you want to change the IP to 192.168.1.xx? What is this thinking based on?

Unless you know some of the answers then you won't be able to do anything.

Offline rbulson

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2017, 12:31:42 AM »
I'm not familiar with routers so if my ignorance offends you that is your problem.

The Davis folks can't help me because I don't have access to the Windows program to configure the WLIP page per their instructions.  I'm just looking to connect the WLIP so I can upload weather data.

I have the Mac address, external IP address, gateway IP address, subject mask, DNS server, and type info for the router.

Every device on my network is on the 192.168.1.xx IP addresses except the WLIP.

I'll take my questions to the Orbi community, perhaps they can help.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2017, 12:39:13 AM »
Then that is the problem if the WLIP is 10.x.x.x and your router is 192.x.x.x then no way will they talk or will you be able to access the WLIP even if you had access to WeatherLink software.

What you still not sure about is if the WLIP is fixed as Static or DHCP, if DHCP then re-powering it should pick up a new IP in the 192.x.x.x range relative to your router. If not then you have a problem.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2017, 12:41:45 AM »
What you may need to do is get an old router, any old router and config the thing for a 10.0.1.x something and try and get in to the WLIP web page so as to maybe untick the Static IP if it is a static IP? 

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2017, 03:49:05 AM »
I'm no network expert, but isn't this one of those situations where you can just connect the WLIP direct to an isolated PC (or via a switch if you prefer) and then:

* configure the network on that PC to operate temporarily in the 10.0.1.x range;

* make contact with the WLIP's web page, which you now should be able to do (assuming you know the IP address);

* change the IP address back to 'receive an IP address automatically' from its present presumably static IP address (which never should be used IMHO - because it causes exactly these endless support incidents - unless you're a network professional who fully understands the configuration in use);

All should be OK after that.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 08:47:26 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2017, 10:15:28 AM »
I'm not familiar with routers so if my ignorance offends you that is your problem.

....and yet you changed your router.

I asked who set up your WLIP initially, and you didn't answer - can you contact him/her?  I suggested getting access to your old router - perhaps you can't, but that would let you do one of the fixes suggested above.  Or you can just use your current computer, disconnected from your current router, rebooted and then do as johnd suggested.

Or you could find someone near you who can come physically help.

Our problems are that (1) we can't know what you know unless you answer questions; and (2) we can't physically do anything to help you. 

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2017, 12:54:38 PM »
Excuse me my ignorance, but isn't there a simple method that resets the WLIP to a state where it requests an address via DHCP and it happily connects to the net? I can't believe someone needs to go through hoops to get a thing as simple as this done. From latest posts the problem seems to be the original network/subnet was different than the current one, using a fixed IP setup. No wonder it can't get through. I also suggest using any device connected to the same LAN, preferably via cable, take an IP address from the old IP subnet, no gateway, and access the WLIP config page at http://10.0.1.50/ from that device.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2017, 02:55:48 PM »
....but isn't there a simple method that resets the WLIP to a state where it requests an address via DHCP....

Not as far as I am aware.

Offline sundevil01010101

• KAZSURPR41/54/57
  • Senior Contributor
  • Eye on the sky...
    • Surprise AZ Weather
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2017, 04:29:54 AM »
I don't want to hijack this thread but I have a very similar problem with recently adding a secure router in front of my Netgear router

Everything else works perfectly (my original router is now in AP mode).

I have two 6555's and neither work now.   I know exactly what the problem is and it's similar to the original posters issue, he must have the static IP setting like I did.

And of course the subnet has changed, and my new network cannot see the static ips on the old 192.168.1.* subnet.

I know how to configure my PC via a manual setting of the adapters TCPIP4 connection properties to get my PC talking to the logger via their 192.168.1.* sub net addresses and I get to the Weatherlink config page just fine.

The problem is when I change it back to DCHP and try the IP setting save and/or the configuration save (tried saving both ways in different order) the stupid current 192.168.1.* address keeps repopulating the page, I simply cannot get it to save with the DCHP option, it reverts to the fixed IP setting every time.  I cleared out every field in the Static IP settings but the still come back.

I am stumped as to why I cannot seem to save it set back to the DHCP setting.   

I even tried reverting to the old router setup and accessing them both while on the good subnet and they still would not save with DHCP set, it does the same thing, keeps rechecking the static ip setting and repopulating the current 192.168.1.* addresses, wth!

I would appreciate any suggestions, I even cleared browser cache to ensure somehow that was not the cause.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 04:34:32 AM by sundevil01010101 »
Visit https://www.surpriseazweather.com/ !!!
Bucket List - 1,000,000 visitors  :twisted: Lol...

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2017, 05:43:25 AM »
So you have no problem getting into the WLIP web page then?

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2017, 05:58:32 AM »
@sundevil01010101: I'd suggest a WLIP firmware update if you haven't yet attempted that.

Offline sundevil01010101

• KAZSURPR41/54/57
  • Senior Contributor
  • Eye on the sky...
    • Surprise AZ Weather
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2017, 10:54:30 AM »
@Matt - No I can get to their WL Config pages just fine when I have my PC on their 192.168.1.* subnet  it just refuse to save back to DHCP...

@kobuki - A firmware flash is a great idea as in the light of day I realize it will probably reset those settings.   At least I hope it does lol.

Thanks!     I will be trying that next..

Update - after flashing both iploggers with the 1.12 firmware, which it already had but updated again, they both still retain the static 192.168.1.* addresses...  arrrrgghhhh, I guess calling Davis Support is the last resort.   

I got nothing else I can think to try at the moment...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 12:00:22 PM by sundevil01010101 »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2017, 11:57:46 AM »

@kobuki - A firmware flash is a great idea as in the light of day I realize it will probably reset those settings.   At least I hope it does lol.

Please report your results.  Well-designed firmware (with well-designed firmware updates) would not change settings.  [I have no information as to whether Davis' WLIP firmware is well-designed]

Offline sundevil01010101

• KAZSURPR41/54/57
  • Senior Contributor
  • Eye on the sky...
    • Surprise AZ Weather
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2017, 12:01:17 PM »
@dalecoy, yeah that's what I figured too and sadly it didn't change the settings..
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 12:20:13 PM by sundevil01010101 »

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2017, 01:09:37 PM »
I suggested the FW update to fix the misbehavior regarding the DHCP setting, not to reset the settings. But if no newer firmware exists than your current one it's not going to help...

anything