Author Topic: Doing my homework before I buy  (Read 5941 times)

Offline Rodger

Doing my homework before I buy
« on: September 14, 2011, 09:40:51 AM »
I am considering a station on my farm. The location is remote, 30 miles from my home. Its a heavily wooded property with some open pastures and a open pond dam. The pond dam is approximately 500 feet from my cabin. Between the cabin and the pond dam there are some trees but not a lot.

If I proceed, I would plan to mount the unit on a post of some sort on the dam where it can collect rainfall without any trees around and get a decent wind reading as well.

My questions are many but for this post today, what models/brands would you recommend? It will never be hooked to internet since its remote rural Missouri and our service providers/phone company wont ever be able to afford to offer it in that county. I would like to be able to take a laptop to download history and such to play with at home.

Per mounting, has anyone mounted a setup like this on a wooden fence post...Im a farmer, we think of things like that....

Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Doing my homework before I buy
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 10:27:26 AM »
A Davis Vantage Vue with the Weatherlink logger will do the trick.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 11:46:37 AM »
   Depending on your budget a Davis Vantage Vue or one of the Vantage Pro 2 would be wise.  But other members with other brands can let you know how they do.  Good luck.
   Mark

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 11:48:51 AM »
I'd say a Davis Vue or even a Vantage Pro2 if the budget permits.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Rodger

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 11:52:54 AM »
Seems pretty unanimous on the Davis products. 

Can anyone address the mounting that would work best in the situation I described...any do not do's or any make sure you do this?

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 12:29:03 PM »
Seems pretty unanimous on the Davis products. 

Can anyone address the mounting that would work best in the situation I described...any do not do's or any make sure you do this?
The Vue's mounting is simple for small areas where the sensor unit is easier to setup. Just put the battery in, assemble the cups onto the top, install the rain bucket mechanism, fix the Sensor unit (ISS) to a pole, tighten the U-bolt, then setup the pole. The Pro2's ISS can be a little more challenging but not too bad.

With the Pro2, the ISS is more flexible. You can extend the anemometer 40 Ft from the main ISS. So if you wanted accurate wind readings like you mentioned, place the anemometer at a good height above the surface while keeping everything else at access level. You can also add UV and solar (unless you get the Plus model which already includes them) Also with the Pro2, you can add things like leaf wetness, soil moisture, and soil/water temperature, extra temperature and humidity stations. The Ticker tape forecast is nice. Gives you more detail on the current weather.

A few things both Davis stations have in common; they're durrable, reliable, tough, accurate, and user friendly.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 12:48:56 PM »
My questions are many but for this post today, what models/brands would you recommend? It will never be hooked to internet since its remote rural Missouri and our service providers/phone company wont ever be able to afford to offer it in that county. I would like to be able to take a laptop to download history and such to play with at home.

I think the davis with the datalogger would do you well in this instance.  The datalogger can be set to store lots of information based on the update interval (I think I'm right on this point).

Per mounting, has anyone mounted a setup like this on a wooden fence post...Im a farmer, we think of things like that....

I am using a mailbox post, not a fence post, but it is very similar.  You can see it here:

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=3628.0
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Rodger

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 12:58:51 PM »

I think the davis with the datalogger would do you well in this instance.  The datalogger can be set to store lots of information based on the update interval (I think I'm right on this point).

I am using a mailbox post, not a fence post, but it is very similar.  You can see it here:

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=3628.0

Thanks so much for the link to the photos. Sounds like a similar situation to mine. I had on my list of questions to ask about grounding since this looks like a great lightning attraction opportunity.  Ill have to look into this datalogger and see what that is about...thank you

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 01:05:21 PM »

My only concern with a fence post is that the post is plumb, and the surface smooth. The weather station wants to be mounted plumb and level so the rain gauge tipper works properly. When I think of fence posts, 2 things come to mind; metal T posts (not suitable for a weather station) and round wood posts (peeler cores, lodgepole, etc). The round ones I've used for fencing are really uneven, and would make leveling the station a PITA.

Some people have used PT 4x4s with success. My station is mounted on a PT 6x6 set in concrete. I feel the 6x6 is less prone to warping. You didn't indicate (state/climate etc) the station will be, but I would ensure the post extends below the frost line to help keep it plumb over time.

Offline Rodger

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 01:38:07 PM »

My only concern with a fence post is that the post is plumb, and the surface smooth. The weather station wants to be mounted plumb and level so the rain gauge tipper works properly. When I think of fence posts, 2 things come to mind; metal T posts (not suitable for a weather station) and round wood posts (peeler cores, lodgepole, etc). The round ones I've used for fencing are really uneven, and would make leveling the station a PITA.

Some people have used PT 4x4s with success. My station is mounted on a PT 6x6 set in concrete. I feel the 6x6 is less prone to warping. You didn't indicate (state/climate etc) the station will be, but I would ensure the post extends below the frost line to help keep it plumb over time.

I would likely use a 6 by 6 treated post base, set in concrete/rock. I have access to two post hole diggers, the large auger is 18 inch so stability is not an issue and square and plumb is something I am able to achieve.  Sorry for the lack of added information....this will be located in south west Missouri about 100 miles due south of Kansas City in Bates County.  Our climate is midwestern...this year was the hardest hit area drought wise after a glorious spring. Crops are generally a wipeout, our corn came in at a screaming 10 bu per acre...beans are a question still. Ponds right now are very low, some cattle guys have had to move cattle a lot to stay in pastures with water.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 02:18:38 PM »

I would likely use a 6 by 6 treated post base, set in concrete/rock...

One last note I forgot to mention. If you can set the post with one side facing due south. This is the side that you will mount a solar powered station on, so that the panel gets full exposure to the sun.

Something else just occurred to me...

You presumably aren't going to have a home or outbuilding on-site to house the console, which is the display part of the weather station. You'll need an enclosure for that, and a way to extend the battery life. I believe Davis makes something like this, or you can roll your own. I gotta leave right now, or I'd look it up for you.

When you get around to wanting to order, let us know and we'll point you to the least expensive places to order.

BTW, I sent you a PM.

Chris

Offline Rodger

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 02:24:01 PM »

I would likely use a 6 by 6 treated post base, set in concrete/rock...

One last note I forgot to mention. If you can set the post with one side facing due south. This is the side that you will mount a solar powered station on, so that the panel gets full exposure to the sun.

Something else just occurred to me...

You presumably aren't going to have a home or outbuilding on-site to house the console, which is the display part of the weather station. You'll need an enclosure for that, and a way to extend the battery life. I believe Davis makes something like this, or you can roll your own. I gotta leave right now, or I'd look it up for you.

When you get around to wanting to order, let us know and we'll point you to the least expensive places to order.

BTW, I sent you a PM.

Chris

I do have a cabin...I call it a cabin, wife says its like a bit over the top for a cabin. Its my home away from home, hiding spot, turkey season and deer season home and the damn holds back 3 1/2 acres of excellent fishing.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 04:44:07 PM »
I do have a cabin...I call it a cabin, wife says its like a bit over the top for a cabin. Its my home away from home, hiding spot, turkey season and deer season home and the damn holds back 3 1/2 acres of excellent fishing.

OK, so the cabin has AC power(?) and is how far from the dam?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 04:49:06 PM »
500 feet he claimed in the first post.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline AridZona

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 05:36:01 PM »
Sounds like a no-brainer for either the Davis Vue or VP2, depending on whether you find it important to be able to separate your anemometer and get it higher up in the air for more accurate data.  I copied Greg's idea, my station is mounted on a mailbox post with a metal mast for the anemometer attached to it.

I'd second Chris' advice to site it with one side of the post facing due south (true, not magnetic) - it makes it easy to mount the ISS for maximum solar exposure, and also easier to point your anemometer's wind vane due north for accurate wind direction data. 

Transmitting 500 feet from the ISS to your cabin shouldn't be a problem, so console placement should be a non-issue.  You'll definitely want to buy the Weatherlink/data logger package so you can store and download your data.  Make sure to read the manual and set your data storage intervals according to how often you get up there so you don't lose data.

As far as prices go, I bought my station and datalogger from Rainman Weather - in doing the math they had the best deal, but several other places were very competitive as well.  Like you, I did a lot of homework before I purchased my station - the Davis systems definitely aren't cheap, but IMO it seems they're hard to beat for quality, accuracy and reliability.

Mac
Davis 6153 VP2 w/FARS | LWC 2.10

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 06:51:35 PM »
Check this site out.....www.archertradingpost.com/atp.....they are in Florida
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 10:29:37 AM »
I like the idea of the Vantage Pro 2 for you.  One of the big reasons is that yours will be in a rural undeveloped area with woods and water nearby.  The VP2 station can be disassembled and cleaned more thoroughly.  In the environment you will have it in, you will be more succeptible to insects, birds, spider webs, dirt accumulation from dew, etc.  It will be important to thoroughly clean the internals of the stations at least once per year.  The VP2 station will allow you to get inside and clean your rain tipping spoons, temp/hum sensors, etc. with detail.  This will keep your station working great for many years.

It also gives you flexibility to mount your anemometer up high for good wind readings as mentioned.

I would try to keep it away from the pond, however, or the moisture and temperature profiles from the water will give you readings that don't match up with what is going on out in the fields.
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 09:54:24 PM »
Any help is appreciated. Thank you
I mounted the VP2 on a 2" pvc pipe attached to a fence post. This allowed the fence post to add the needed stability. The PVC pipe is attached to the post with 2 pieces of all-thread and pipe hangers. The all-thread gives an adjustment factor to the PVC so it can be plumbed and leveled. Oh-yea .. it is also not my fence post  :oops: Then once the PVC is set up, the bottom is concreted into the ground. The PVC pipe is about 10' tall bringing the anemometer off the ground, but not near the regulation height. (who really cares what the wind is at 30' anyway? :-)) I have thought of adding another section, but I am concerned about it bending in higher winds as well as getting to it for maintenance. The rest of the station is easily accessible without a ladder.
http://www.cavecountryweather.com/about.php
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:02:36 PM by Dr Obbins »

Offline Rodger

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 10:56:09 AM »
If I may ask a couple more questions.   How often do you find the rainfall readings to be wrong...In other words, if you use a old fashioned rain gauge next to the Davis unit, how often do they agree?

Reason for asking is that when I look online at weather stations that are showing data, the rainfall totals are so wide and so clearly not correct that I wonder if that function is not dependable or are the owners doing something wrong?

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 11:13:38 AM »
If I may ask a couple more questions.   How often do you find the rainfall readings to be wrong...In other words, if you use a old fashioned rain gauge next to the Davis unit, how often do they agree?

Reason for asking is that when I look online at weather stations that are showing data, the rainfall totals are so wide and so clearly not correct that I wonder if that function is not dependable or are the owners doing something wrong?
I typically experience +/- 0.05". No biggie. Just be shure to mount the ISS in an area not effected too much by the wind.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 11:17:59 AM »

On what are you basing the conclusion that the readings are not correct? Rainfall can vary widely over a small area, and, as has been posted here, can only be compared if the rain gauges are as close together as possible.

Anything more than a few feet, and all bets are off.

Offline Rodger

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 12:02:25 PM »
My rain gauge had 2 1/2 inches. I called around (farm thing, we obsess about rain) and pretty much everyone i talked to had 2 to 3 inches.  When I check three different online home weather stations in same area they who under an inch. 

When I check 5 or 6 in any given area that I know the geography, I see the same variability.   Just makes me wonder what the dickens is going on....now also I know some people may not take care of the instrument and I may be looking at 3 or 4 different brands....so its just the skeptic in me wondering is all

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 01:19:52 PM »
There's a link to this paper in the "VP2 Rain Guage Adjustment screws" thread.

http://www.onerain.com/includes/pdf/whitepaper/InconsistentRainGageRecords.pdf

One thing it says is,

Rain gauge measurements taken by identical gauges located a few feet
apart have experienced differences as much as 20%.

And, there is a lot of other good info about height above ground, tipping buckets, etc.

Offline Rodger

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 01:46:13 PM »
you guys know everything.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 02:11:39 PM »
Well, there's a lot of collective expertise and experience here.

But, we don't know everything. (Yet...) ;)