Author Topic: Contemplating major upgrade - need suggestions  (Read 1231 times)

Offline longmire

• Contributor
  • WD (latest) GRL3_2 WF TWI WR-25e Win10Pro
Contemplating major upgrade - need suggestions
« on: August 07, 2014, 03:15:53 PM »
I am currently running VWS internet edition 12.08 p13 on an old intel motherboard that is WAAAY beyond it's Intel end of life. Sadly, I think it is also nearing the end of its physical life too, since its COM port has died, and there's a little chirping capacitor somewhere hidden on it.

That said - I am strongly considering an ASUS Z97M Plus motherboard, because it still has PCI slots - so my Boltek would still have a home.
The question - would upgrading from VWS 12.08 p13 to VWS 15.x provide any greater stability under Windows 7 64-bit? If so, are there any "got-ya's" when upgrading across this many versions at once?

None of the newer versions of VWS stated they offered any improved support for the Texas Weather Instruments WR-25, which is why I have not bothered to upgrade thus far, but with the motherboard clock ticking ever louder ...

Thanks!

Steve

Offline trevmm

Re: Contemplating major upgrade - need suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 12:47:00 PM »
Steve,
if it's of any help, i'm using VWS 15.0 on Windows 7 64 bit (I have been using VWS 14.1 on Win 7 64Bit for over two years prior to upgrading yesterday to V15.0), i have not come across and problems other than the normal sillies you cause yourself by changing something you should not have touched!

regards

Trevmm
Powmill, Scotland

Offline longmire

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 02:24:01 PM »
Thanks for the response Trevmm -

My biggest concern is in the huge leap from version 12 to version 15. I know, for example, that the number of columns in the dbase.csv file increased from version 12 to version 13 to allow for more sensor in the VP line of stations.

I worry a bit about doing this upgrade now - mid year- when my databases have all grown to very large file sizes. That, plus the fact that we are having a VERY active summer pattern here in Houston this year, makes me think I need to nurse this along until January - when the data loss, if any, would be much smaller.

Has anyone else made the huge jump from version 12 up to 14 or 15 in one step?

Steve

Offline dj1111s

• Weather obsessed
  • Forecaster
  • The "d" cloud.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 06:29:31 PM »
I started with V15 earlier this year on a new computer running Win7 64 bit.  Other than issues with Weatherbug (which I stopped uploading to) it has run trouble free.  I'm uploading to PWS/Weatherforyou without interruptions.
Vantage Pro2 Plus W/FARS, wireless anemometer, bucket heater with temperature sensor. Envoy, VP2 and Vue consoles. Meteobridge. Weatherlink Live. AirLink. Soil and leaf station. Attic temp and humidity.
Trained Storm Spotter
Member CoCoRaHS
You will never find me on Facebook or Twitter or any other social media!!!

Offline trevmm

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 07:40:30 AM »
Steve,
i would agree that it's a big leap from 12 to 15, leaving it to Jan is probably a good idea, you could also consider renaming your current database and let it set up a new one for the upgrade and see how it goes, that way you lose the least data in your current data file over a short period of time

regards

Trevmm

Offline longmire

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 06:31:32 PM »
I completed the hardware/software upgrade a little more than 60 hours ago.

Now running VWS 15p03 on Win 7 Ult 64 SP1 on a brand new ASUS Z97mPLUS motherboard with i5 4690K and 16 G ram.

WOW - it boots faster than the lightning it monitors!

The jump from VWS 12 to 15 had just a few bumps - mostly that I had to re-enter my station data and settings, but there hae been no VWS crashes or freezes thus far.

The two biggest problems: My CWOP reporting has become sporadic at best. Running VWSAPRS 1.9.7.0 set to automatic and ten minutes and running as administrator. But sometimes it reports every ten minutes and sometime it just says it has reported by CWOP says nothing for past hour.

Second MAJOR problem is that this fresh clean install of win7 refuses to connect to my win 2012 server essentials to be backed up! Useless Micro$$$$ suggests perhaps re installing the whole OS from scratch! RRRRIIIIGht!!! It's FIXED  \:D/  Gotta love "user" forums - a guy expalined the same problem on a win 8.1 system and listed the easy fix to a single txt file on the server and viola! backing up at the speed of ssd's over gigabit!  =D>

I guess this is just what happens when you try to exceed the speed limit of light - space time - consider yourself torn!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 09:53:15 PM by longmire »

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 09:50:02 PM »
You may want to try VWSAPRS version 2.
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=10220.0
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com