Author Topic: Homemade Weather Instruments  (Read 9867 times)

Offline Markus

Homemade Weather Instruments
« on: November 15, 2009, 09:01:02 AM »
Hello,

Before pulling out the credit card to buy an electronic wind vane, I checked around on the web for homemade weather instruments, electronic wind vanes, homemade thermometer, etc,  and found this site:

Homemade weather instruments http://sites.google.com/site/weathermake2000/

Has anyone tried making their own homemade weather instruments?  The design on the website for the electronic wind vane seems simple enough.  He also has a rather interesting idea on making a homemade thermometer.

M

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Re: Homemade Weather Instruments
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 11:12:38 AM »
Markus,
   Welcome to the forum!!  I know there have been a few threads about homemade instruments but for the life of me I cannot find them :oops: ](*,).  Hopefully someone will know where they are hiding #-o.

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 12:28:33 PM »
Interesting Site and construction methods.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 12:36:10 PM »
Interesting projects.  I concur with the parts suppliers All Electronics and Electronic Goldmine, been using them for years.
My favorite book is "Weather Toys", by Tim Bitson, available from http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/index.php   Hobby Boards are also a good supplier of wx sensors and parts.

Also check out Tracy Allen's http://www.emesystems.com/index.html for earth measurements, wx sensors, Basic Stamps, etc.  He's written many books with student projects/kits.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 12:46:38 PM by wxtech »
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 06:28:31 PM »
If you want to make a wireless rain gage check out the sticky in the "Tech Corner". ;)

Welcome to the WxForum Markus!

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 10:57:48 AM »
As a kid I built a weather station for a science fair project and got first place. The barometer consisted of a milk carton, orange juice can, Saran wrap, a needle, thread, a toothpick and a fishing weight. The thermometer was made from a light bulb and denatured alcohol and a milk carton. The anemometer was made with soda straws and pointed paper cups and the wind vane was a cut piece of laminate with a wire pushed through it. The rain gauge was a drinking glass with calibration marks on it. Everything was calibrated using old analogue gauges and then I kept a daily records. 

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 03:28:12 PM »
Kewel. Deffinately soulds like it deserved 1st place for that catagory.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 05:35:16 PM »
Sounds cool. Best part was you didn't have to worry about the stinkin' Serial-to-Usb adapter crapping out during your presentation in class.  :lol:

anything