Author Topic: Vantage Pro 3 - Wish List  (Read 25270 times)

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: Vantage Pro 3 - Wish List
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2015, 05:39:23 PM »
It should be able to make coffee

Now we're talking functionality - and I'm not totally sure about coffee.  However, I strongly believe that it should be able to make an appropriate hot beverage when the weather indicates!

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2015, 06:16:46 PM »
it looks ugly and outdated BECAUSE it is BW, bulky etc.
I actually like the way the VP2 console looks. Then again, I like the way those two cars you posted look.
Eric

I agree with you.  And I absolutely hate the example that Jachym posted.  Oh, the appearance is OK - but the functionality is terrible.  I can't see, at a glance, without fiddling with pushbuttons, the things I want to be able to see at a glance.

It was a joke.... :D

Of course you would not have such a bad combination of touchscreen and normal buttons... It was just a joke since Eric said he likes color and he likes the look of the console ;)

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2015, 06:17:41 PM »
I vote for touch screen color displays with fancy frames. Be rid of buttons. And color displays capable of creating virtual LED displays like Rainwise. Or dials like the Maximum Weather Master.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2015, 08:14:07 PM »

It was a joke.... :D

Of course you would not have such a bad combination of touchscreen and normal buttons...

I apologize - I didn't notice that it had a touchscreen.       :eek:

Offline SpartanWX

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2015, 12:27:24 AM »
I wish to be able to leave the console light on without it affecting the temperature reading. 

That's about it.

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2015, 10:30:47 AM »
It actually should have a separate indoor temperature sensor. That way you could monitor the temperature in an optimal location. Due to my console needing to be close to my router, that puts it in an area (entertainment center) that has much higher temps than the rest of the house. Even some of the $100 weather stations have remote indoor temperature sensors.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2015, 02:03:45 PM »
 Columbia has a nice touch color display. Ideal would be a bit thinner. Davis could offer frames similar to those on the Rainwise Oracle displays. Touch screen and no buttons. Frames can boarder the actual screen.

Perhaps they can also offer different sizes. Imagine hanging a 20" display on the wall. :)

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2015, 06:25:06 PM »
Perhaps they can also offer different sizes. Imagine hanging a 20" display on the wall. :)

The VP2 console is now horribly outdated. Buttons instead of touchscreen displays are so last decade, and I loathe the daglo orange colour of the backlight. Just as well I never really have to look at it.

I use a data logger that goes into a standalone mini PC, a Quantum Byte. The HDMI output from the Quantum goes into a matrix HDMI splitter along with my HD CCTV. The splitter feeds four large HD televisions. So I have my weather software and CCTV displayed on large televisions in my study, lounge, kitchen and bedroom. All the info I need in every room  :-)

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2015, 06:30:19 PM »

The VP2 console is now horribly outdated. Buttons instead of touchscreen displays are so last decade, and I loathe the daglo orange colour of the backlight. Just as well I never really have to look at it.

I use a data logger that goes into a standalone mini PC, a Quantum Byte. The HDMI output from the Quantum goes into a matrix HDMI splitter along with my HD CCTV. The splitter feeds four large HD televisions. So I have my weather software and CCTV displayed on large televisions in my study, lounge, kitchen and bedroom. All the info I need in every room  :-)

=D> \:D/

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2015, 01:28:43 AM »
I would like an auto adjusting clock!  :grin:

These are all changes I would like on the display.

1) Show the "Feels Like" Temperature (THW Index) - The current console displays Wind Chill or Heat Index, displaying the THW Index would eliminate the need to keep switching between the two.

2) Show the Dew Point as a separate value - The current console makes you choose between Dew Point, Heat Index and Wind Chill.

3) Show the 10 minute Wind Gust Speed in addition to the 10 minute Average Wind Speed. - Currently only the 10 minute Average Wind Speed can be shown at the bottom of the display.   (Being able to graph the gust speeds would also be nice)

4) Update the wind-rose to show the Wind Direction as an arrow on the outside pointing in (technically the correct way) and have an "analog" display of the Wind Speed on the inside (1 dot for each MPH), with an additional point at the 10 minute Wind Gust Speed.

As far as the station as a whole:

1) Heated Anemometer.

2) Infra-red Temperature Sensor, for pavement surface temperature sensing.

3) The ability to add temperature sensors on the wired version.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2015, 02:35:14 PM »
What *I* would like to see is some POSITIVE indication from Davis that they are truly working on a "VP3."

Yes, I'm skeptical, how can you tell?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 05:42:54 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2015, 03:00:57 PM »
What *I* would like to see: some POSITIVE indication from Davis that they are truly working on a "VP3."

Yes, I'm skeptical, how can you tell?

Considering this thread started in 2009, doesnt look like they are yet.
Tony

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2015, 04:09:33 PM »
How about a console that is color LED.
A data logger similar to the Envoy8x  that would monitor all 8 stations in the Weatherlink software.  I figure if the Envoy8x has that capability with a standard datalogger (serial,usb)  why not have the console hardware and their software do exactly the  same.

And as far as the Weatherlink Software, being able to rename the sensors. I know in the datalists  it can be done, but not everyone who uses them is knowledgeable and gutsy to do that as  I have done.  And have that also be on the summary section of their main screen.

And NO, I doubt there is going to be a VP3.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2015, 04:33:10 PM »
A data logger similar to the Envoy8x  that would monitor all 8 stations in the Weatherlink software.  I figure if the Envoy8x has that capability with a standard datalogger (serial,usb)  why not have the console hardware and their software do exactly the  same.

The problem is that there's potentially too much data. In principle, with an 8X you could have a VP2-type system with eight Plus ISS units attached or any conceivable combination of other transmitter types. It's not obvious how you could easily design a display that could cater for the presentation of all possible sensors. And certainly the standard Weatherlink archive data format cannot - that's why you have the WDTU software for the 8X - you then have a database structure that can potentially log all conceivable sensor combinations but which stops there and leaves the presentation aspect for others to figure out.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 09:37:09 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2015, 09:41:15 AM »
No sign of a VP3 in the Davis 2016 catalog. Maybe 2017 will bring something?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2015, 05:32:33 PM »

I doubt that even.    But you can always ask them..   ho, ho, ho

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2015, 05:35:54 PM »

The problem is that there's potentially too much data. In principle, with an 8X you could have a VP2-type system with eight Plus ISS units attached or any conceivable combination of other transmitter types. It's not obvious how you could easily design a display that could cater for the presentation of all possible sensors. And certainly the standard Weatherlink archive data format cannot - that's why you have the WDTU software for the 8X - you then have a database structure that can potentially log all conceivable sensor combinations but which stops there and leaves the presentation aspect for others to figure out.

I have an 8X and know that.  Still their software could be a little more friendly that way.  So...  I also have the IP, a serial and an USB logger for the other channels. Plus I also use Weatherdisplay software which will pick up all 8 channels.    I am guessing that they farm out their software to some kid in 8th grade who does their work for them.  I haven't seen any software updates to the original program.

Oh  we can always hope to see something.  Maybe they might combine some of the features of the Vantage Vue console with the vp2.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2015, 06:14:10 PM »
I'd be for multiple sensors other than temperature humidity.

Perhaps the same way one can toggle temperature stations. They could have a way to toggle station numbers.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline dcriner

« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2015, 06:57:50 PM »
I tend to agree. The VP2 is Davis' cash cow. They don't seem to be too interested in product innovation.
Doug

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2015, 07:54:18 PM »
I tend to agree. The VP2 is Davis' cash cow. They don't seem to be too interested in product innovation.

That is unfortunately usually the case if there is no competition.... why invest in development when you know that people will buy it anyway given they have no other choice...

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2015, 08:00:03 PM »
...and THAT (above) is exactly why I *had* HIGH EXPECTATIONS for the new OSI WMR300...which, sadly, let me (and others) down!

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2015, 07:28:21 AM »

But I am curious as to what the new 6830 and 6832 T/H units are for. (And no that's not a typo for 6382.) What is the question to which these might be the answer?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2015, 08:45:27 AM »
Since this thread is all about idle speculation, here is mine: They might be adding a solar door to the Temp and Temp/Hum stations.
No basis for this, just a guess. It would be easy "parts bin engineering".
I already did this on my own by changing out the plain door for a solar one.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2015, 08:54:45 AM »
Since this thread is all about idle speculation, here is mine: They might be adding a solar door to the Temp and Temp/Hum stations.

For 6382 - correct. For 6372 - unchanged.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2015, 12:46:01 PM »

For 6382 - correct. For 6372 - unchanged.
Thanks!

anything