Author Topic: Upgrade  (Read 3869 times)

Offline mi77915

Upgrade
« on: February 26, 2013, 02:06:41 PM »
Hi,

I have a La Crosse WS-2308-AL and I am looking to upgrade. I have had this station for a few years now and the rain gauge stopped working soon after I installed the system. I am looking at the AcuRite 01035 or 01055 Pro Weather station and was wondering if this would be a decent upgrade. I was also looking at the Davis 6250 Vantage Vue, but I don’t really have that much money in the budget.

I biggest difference that I have found between the AcuRite and the Davis units is the refresh time (AcuRite – 18 seconds, the Davis – 2.5 seconds). This time difference is really not an issue for me.

Does anyone have any comments/suggestions in reference to the AcuRite stations that I listed above?

Thank you,

Tom

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
Re: Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 02:32:39 PM »
My opinion based on experience is get the Davis. The La Crosse sucks at update intervals due to many factors. I do not know about AcuRite. Also La Crosse misses many a wind gust. Don't get me started on them, but stay away, stay far FAR away!!! I will never EVER buy another of their units. The possibility of that type of weather station missing data is also a real possibility.

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 02:42:02 PM »
Get a Vue from Archer Trading Post.

www.archertradingpost.com/
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:43:45 PM by hayskswx »

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 02:44:33 PM »
 Their are only 2 stations too buy, Davis for warmer climes and for us colder climes people it is Rainwise, I would also throw in an OS WMR 200 in there for those in colder climate that can not afford an Rainwise station.

John

Offline mi77915

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 05:48:08 PM »
Thanks to everyone for your replies. As for climate, I live in Michigan, cold, snowy winters... :-x

Tom

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 06:56:24 PM »
Comparing a La Crosse to a Davis is like comparing MacDonald's to your local family steak house.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 10:41:18 PM »
As for climate, I live in Michigan, cold, snowy winters...

Still an warmer clime almost semi tropical..... Lol

Offline wdn

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 08:17:20 AM »
do urself a favor and get the davis vue...
go to rainman weather to get it.....
shipped for under 300 bucks ok.....
it will be more accurate, and last many years more....

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 02:58:04 PM »
Of course, I recommend AcuRite- but I designed most of the AcuRite stations and I may be biased- but I love this company and I truly feel we put out some great products at a great value. :-)

I have seen MANY tests comparing AcuRite to other manufacturers- and of course I have many set up at our test facility and at my home for a few years now with VERY favorable results for AcuRite, especially when you consider the price difference.

Thanks!

Ryan
AcuRite Product Designer

Offline mi77915

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 06:25:27 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies!!! Lots of great info to digest. I do understand that the Davis Vue might be a really good unit, but the cost of the unit plus the additional hardware and software required to get the data uploaded to my existing Wunderground account would be just too much money...  :-(

For that reason, I am considering the AcuRite unit.

Thanks again for ALL your replies!!

Tom

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 08:09:53 PM »
I've owned many brands of stations over the years, including Davis and Acurite.

Acurite gives you an excellent bang for your buck. 

It may not be as sturdy as Davis, and it doesn't report wind data as often, but Acurite does get the job done on a budget.

anything