Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 8912 times)

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Windows 7
« on: May 05, 2009, 01:22:52 PM »
Microsoft just announced today that you can download Windows 7 V7100 which is basically the final version before release. Instead of expiring in August of 2009 like version 7011 does, this version lasts until June of 2010 !!!

And now for the dark cloud inside the silver lining.

If you run this version and don't buy your real copy until after March....well your computer will start shutting down every 2 hours.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 08:40:49 PM »

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 07:38:19 AM »
My Win XP Pro does just fine. Until I am forced to upgrade. I will keep what I have.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 07:40:10 AM »
Ditto here. XP pro and IE7 haven't let me down or given me problems so I see no reason to jump into problems either.

Offline longmire

• Contributor
  • WD (latest) GRL3_2 WF TWI WR-25e Win10Pro
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 07:42:19 AM »
WARNING! - When I clicked on the link provided in Chief David's post it immediately opened multiple windows "offering" "Strongly Recommending" that I should allow the site to "Scan your computer " because it was infected wth viruses and adware that could damage its performance.

Fortunately I was able to shut down IE7 quickly and the scan I did afterwards revealed no infections, malware or adware.

BEWARE!

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 07:48:25 AM »
I've seen similar screens like that when I open a link. I think as long as you don't do anything suggested like use their scan, etc. and back out like you did you may be ok. I believe the problem is waiting to be let in with your acknowledgement. I'm no software guru, just my feeling on it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 07:50:04 AM by DanS »

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 08:22:23 AM »
Ditto here. XP pro and IE7 haven't let me down or given me problems so I see no reason to jump into problems either.
I think that Vista was released prematurely.  Is Win7 the MS fix for Vista?  I can't upgrade beyond XP Pro because of Vista lack of support for acquistion devices operated by my computer.  I'm using an amazing 7 year old HP Pavilion 950.  I bought a Vista machine and trashed it after a year.  Bought a Vista laptop, can't remember where it is, never use it.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline Birdman85

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 08:42:45 AM »
Is Win7 the MS fix for Vista?

No Win 7 is running a lot of re-coded software. It still has much of the *new* look and feel of vista however the underlying structure of the operating system is very different.
More smaller programs using less resources (leaving smaller 'footprints') and running faster than the older more "traditional microsoft" way of large programs using up large chunks of resources.

This YouTube video (if you watch it all the way through) describes how it was all being re-engineered from their older way.

I hope this doesn't get too technical, the microsoft guy does a reasonable job of explaining it, also takes us for a walk down the microsoft operating system memory lane.
La Crosse 2355
XP Pro Laptop temporarily running HW
Linux Server adapting software and graphs for web display.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 10:06:41 AM »
The link is FOR THE article in the paper.  If you don't want to go to the link IN  the article, don't.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
    • http://www.softwx.com/products.html
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 10:18:29 AM »
Here is the link to the official microsoft site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/

Depending on the source, those "your computer is infected" popups can cause havoc. My neighbor's computer was infected by one of those, and it took several hours to get the mess cleaned up. One anti-virus site suggested that clicking anywhere in one of those windows, even the red X in the upper right hand corner to close it, can be dangerous (the red X can be be part of a dummied up screen, and not the actual close button). The bad folks responsible for those things get them into the web site add streams, and it takes a while before they are found out and removed by the add deliverer. But they just do it again under another name.

Steve
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 11:50:20 PM by tinplate »

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 10:32:37 AM »
I doubt the posted link was the source of the "virus removal" popup infection.  those can hide for a while, and pop randomly, so you think the site you are on is the culprit.   

The best way to exit those is to ctrl-alt-delete and end task on your browser.  As Steve mentioned, the x can be coded to be the launcher.

Andrew

WARNING! - When I clicked on the link provided in Chief David's post it immediately opened multiple windows "offering" "Strongly Recommending" that I should allow the site to "Scan your computer " because it was infected wth viruses and adware that could damage its performance.

Fortunately I was able to shut down IE7 quickly and the scan I did afterwards revealed no infections, malware or adware.

BEWARE!

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 12:46:37 PM »
I've seen similar screens like that when I open a link. I think as long as you don't do anything suggested like use their scan, etc. and back out like you did you may be ok. I believe the problem is waiting to be let in with your acknowledgement. I'm no software guru, just my feeling on it.

Dan, is correct, don't acknowledge that junk, if you do then you are asking for spyware to be put on your machine.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 12:48:07 PM »

Bought a Vista laptop, can't remember where it is, never use it.

If I come to your house and look for it, can I have it?  :-)

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 01:02:13 PM »
Is Win7 the MS fix for Vista?

No Win 7 is running a lot of re-coded software. It still has much of the *new* look and feel of vista however the underlying structure of the operating system is very different.
More smaller programs using less resources (leaving smaller 'footprints') and running faster than the older more "traditional microsoft" way of large programs using up large chunks of resources.

This YouTube video (if you watch it all the way through) describes how it was all being re-engineered from their older way.

I hope this doesn't get too technical, the microsoft guy does a reasonable job of explaining it, also takes us for a walk down the microsoft operating system memory lane.

Sorry, but that's all MS hype/PR BS IMHO. While there may be coding changes (which new Window release isn't recoded?) everyone who has run actual benchmarks to this point is saying it doesn't perform any better than Vista. My limited testing backs that up. In MS's defense I have not run the latest version yet so there may be some improvements in it.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 02:32:10 PM »
on a similar spec machine, Mac OSX , i.e a Apple Imac, runs much faster, I can tell you that!
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 02:43:38 PM »

If you get the pop up saying that your computer is "infected with 500 viruses blah blah blah" your computer is probably infected. Here at the university we use McAfee as our main antivirus program and it would say it deleted the virus yet never could (V8.5i latest dat file). We found that if we ran Malwarebytes (free from CNET's download.com) it would eliminate the virus completely. We have had a 50/50 split of infected versus non-infected when the user closed the window when it first popped up.

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 03:01:38 PM »

Bought a Vista laptop, can't remember where it is, never use it.

If I come to your house and look for it, can I have it?  :-)
Don't think so.   :lol:  But you can have the Compaq SR2000, that's outside in the rain.  Side is off, so maybe I'll use it as a flowerpot.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 04:55:15 PM »
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 09:17:42 AM »
Or...  http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml  LMAO!

That is funny, and it still serves as a working computer case as well.   Oh the fun I could have with that.

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 10:25:29 AM »

That is funny, and it still serves as a working computer case as well.   Oh the fun I could have with that.

The truth behind what makes a computer run !!!!!

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 10:34:09 AM »

The truth behind what makes a computer run !!!!!

Am I the only one that is wondering if this could be converted to a FARS?
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 10:40:36 AM »
I found a power supply for it,

the green machine!

(Greg probably won't go for this idea,  being a electricity producer) :lol:

(and maybe Vista could be happy and work ok on this machine??)
(also shines a new light on the term "mouse pad")   now where's my snare drum and cymbol....
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 10:51:06 AM by DanS »

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 11:05:33 AM »
I found a power supply for it,

the green machine!

(Greg probably won't go for this idea,  being a electricity producer) :lol:

(and maybe Vista could be happy and work ok on this machine??)
(also shines a new light on the term "mouse pad")   now where's my snare drum and cymbol....

You gotta see this one:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omnOhzOyAIo
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 11:08:14 AM »
LMAO...where do you find these things..good one.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 11:10:53 AM »
LMAO...where do you find these things..good one.

What can I tell ya?  My mind is warped.   ;-)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA