Author Topic: got the virus  (Read 6172 times)

Offline offroadjosh

• Davis Vp2 Wireless- VWS 14 P90 Serial Data logger
  • Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
got the virus
« on: April 01, 2009, 02:58:13 AM »
few min after 12am my desktop totally crashed(blue screen) won't boot=( so now ive lost my most recent data of vws and lots of pics since my last back up=( gunna have to start over... again:( grrrrr

Josh
Josh Patten

Davis VP2 Wireless -May 2008
VWS 14.00P90\WL 5.9.9/Plus others!
Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
Smith Valley Fire Dept Firefighter:)
http://josh.northwestwx.com/station/usa.htm
CWOP-DW0711
Kestrel 2000 hand held anemometer
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Re: got the virus
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 07:15:07 AM »
This does not sound like the behaviour of the april 1st "virus".   If you kill / blue screen of death your target, your worm dies with it rather than propogating and taking over the world (as reported by media).

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 07:34:44 AM »
few min after 12am my desktop totally crashed(blue screen) won't boot=( so now ive lost my most recent data of vws and lots of pics since my last back up=( gunna have to start over... again:( grrrrr

Josh

Too bad your machine is toast, but still worked long enough so you could post about its demise.

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 08:22:16 AM »
Have to agree with Andrew. Does not sound like a virus. More like a hardware failure. Like maybe a memory simm? What does an attempted reboot get you?

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 09:53:41 AM »
If indeed your computer blue-screened, and this isn't an April Fool's prank at the forum's expense, then all is not lost.

It's very likely that your data and pics are intact on the drive. Simply install it in a second bootable machine as a second drive, and you should be able to copy the files off of it.

And, maybe it's time for a new computer. New ones from Dell are fairly inexpensive these days, and can still be had with XP installed.

Offline JOE

• Forecaster
    • Centralia IL Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 10:33:03 AM »
I'm guessing April fools here.

If computer died, how are you posting, Josh?  Hmmm.

Good one.

At least I hope it is for your sake.

I posted that I had had enough and was selling my built Jeep on the local Jeep club forum.  It got nailed pretty quick.  They know me too well.

Have a nice day.   :lol:
Joe
www.centraliaweather.com
DW1376
KILCENTR2
K9RJN

Offline offroadjosh

• Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 11:04:16 AM »
i have a laptop too. and im guessing it s the virus.. cause it blue screened and now it wont even come close to booting just blue screens and reboots. i cant even boot into safe mode or repair mode. so isnt this the virus since it happened like at 12am ish. 

edit*---  as a lot of you also know i have had issues with the pc before..... I think its toasted this time i MIGHT try fixing it  or i will part it out for my old desktop and see if i can get it running. i have all my weather data on it so i want to save that. right sucks cause i have to upload all my weather stuff via my laptop=\  soo... so i can take the hard drive and use it in my old puter??? can i steel the memory too? 

Josh
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 11:08:06 AM by offroadjosh »
Josh Patten

Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
CWOP-DW0711
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 11:09:11 AM »
did you ever acquire and install that new graphics card?

Andrew

i have a laptop too. and im guessing it s the virus.. cause it blue screened and now it wont even come close to booting just blue screens and reboots. i cant even boot into safe mode or repair mode. so isnt this the virus since it happened like at 12am ish. 

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline offroadjosh

• Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 11:10:28 AM »
nope takes some weird half card thing..

josh
Josh Patten

Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
CWOP-DW0711
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline wxkpt

• Kingsport, TN Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • When The Weather Gets Tough.. Get With The Weather
    • Kingsport, TN Live and Local weather
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 11:42:20 AM »

josh

Sounds like you have a Dell

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 12:01:30 PM »
there are 2 pages of low profile graphics cards on tigerdirect... 

but for the prices of new pc's even though yours is only a few months old, seems its a bit of a lemon, and that bailing out this pc is probably not the best route, let the markets correct themselves and get a new one.

Andrew

josh

Offline offroadjosh

• Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 03:02:33 PM »
yea idk my truck decided to lose a front wheel bearing today so now im having to fix that too.. which costs money. but o well its life what ya gunna do.

Josh
Josh Patten

Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
CWOP-DW0711
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 06:48:57 AM »
josh, how did you get back up and running so fast?  I know you have a laptop to, but you only seem to be missing 3/31 from your data, and april 1st you have records from midnight on.... 

Andrew

ps: if you decide to get a new pc, you can get a cheap sata enclosure (firewire or usb2) plunk the old drive in there, and pull off your pic's and data.  You could even hook it up to your laptop, while you are making your decision.  cost $20-40

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 09:45:14 AM »
Cheaper still is to make the old drive a "slave" using the existing cables in the new box.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline offroadjosh

• Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 11:00:13 AM »
cause i have my laptop  set up so i can quikly hook my station to it, in the event something like this happens lol.

its a new computer so its going to be fixed. my dad is working  on it now so we will see. think it could be the hard disk or mother board going bad or the OS but  he said OS dont just go bad like that.

Josh
Josh Patten

Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
CWOP-DW0711
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 03:02:07 PM »
cause i have my laptop  set up so i can quikly hook my station to it, in the event something like this happens lol.

its a new computer so its going to be fixed. my dad is working  on it now so we will see. think it could be the hard disk or mother board going bad or the OS but  he said OS dont just go bad like that.

Josh

Yes. They do. I have two machines on my bench right now that yesterday were booting fine and today one is bluescreening due to a corrupted boot record and the other doesn't make it that far due to an OS file corruption. And no, neither is virus related. I get 2 or three of these a week. I get as many similar issues that are hardware related too,(almost always HD issues) sooooo.........

BACKUP YOUR STUFF FOLKS! I can't say it enough. NEVER TRUST A DISK DRIVE!
In these two particular cases no data lost but it easily could have been.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 03:16:37 PM »
I lost my hard drive on my first two modern day pc's.  At about the 1.5 year mark. and in those days you lost some files, usually some games.  Second one I had become a quicken addict, but not a backup addict so after losing a few months of my finanacial life..... Since then an avid backupper. 

Now people have their entire kid's lives (from a photo perspective) and lots of money (post napster) invested in mp3's etc....   Can imagine losing all the pix of my kids cause of not backing up.

Disk space is so cheap now, and backup systems from one touch firewire, usb2 and NAS are so readily avaialable... on top of DVD backups etc.

And with each camera download being a gig these days, space disappears pretty quick. 

Also, most people backup for computer/disk failure.   Remember theft, fire, flood etc.  Get a copy of your important stuff to a relative or friend out of your town.

Andrew

BACKUP YOUR STUFF FOLKS! I can't say it enough. NEVER TRUST A DISK DRIVE!
In these two particular cases no data lost but it easily could have been.

anything