Author Topic: Bridge and Wunder Underground  (Read 2916 times)

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
Bridge and Wunder Underground
« on: October 19, 2013, 11:08:04 AM »
Is anyone else with a bridge seeing the station drop off of the map and the station list every day?

Mine seems to drop every day in the morning and then come back late in the day.

I think it may have to do with the slow 15 minute updates but don't really know.

The data is getting reported just it drops off of the map, station list and sticker in the upper right corner.

Offline Jack Bowman

• Forecaster
  • Ambient Weather WS-2000
    • KCOFORTC421 - Hanna Farm
Re: Bridge and Wunder Underground
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 12:02:17 PM »
I have found that not all stations in a given area display all the time. Changing your zoom level (zooming in) seems to make the missing stations show up.
Ambient Weather WS-2000 Weather Station

Home Weather Server:
http://kcofortc421.dynu.net/WD/wx.html

Weather Underground Link:
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCOFORTC421

PWS Weather Link:
https://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KCOFORTC421.html

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 01:32:49 PM »
I've noticed some goofyness in the sticker lately, but I chalked that up to the recent MBW update.

As of last night, I've been having problems getting to the MBW website since the update...I have to try several times, otherwise I get an error (which looks like it is coming from MBW itself) saying the page is not yet available.  With a couple of refreshes I eventually get through.

I thought maybe it has something to do with my browser cache and I haven't messed with it, but perhaps it's also impacting bridge reporting to MBW?

Offline wxman2003

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 02:47:59 PM »
I have noticed this too. My data does make it to WU, but it does not always display on map. If I happen to view map and my data is 10 minutes old, it will not display, but will when the new data comes in. It must have something to do when you access WU maps. If the data is 10 minutes or more older than last ob, it won't show. If I access the WU map when my data is only 8 minutes old, it displays. It must be related to WU and how it interacts with your browser. Also there will be no data showing on map after midnight until the first ob for the day comes in. But I do not know why your info does not display for the whole day. Even after the recent MBW upgrade, my data still displays on WU.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 02:51:50 PM by wxman2003 »

Offline GaryStofer

• Mt Shasta on clouds
    • DIY WunderWeatherStation
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 11:56:14 AM »
An other reason that your WU sticker is blank and the station is of the map can be that WU has filtered out your station because your reporting of the three basic readings of temp/ hyg and baro are not in line with other stations in your vicinity and/or the forecast model.  When you look at the list of recorded data and you see that your reports are getting recorded, but your station is off the map then this is most likely the problem.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 03:00:14 PM »
I like Gary's answer. My experience is the same.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 03:17:39 PM »
Not mine.

I have two stations, one "experimental".  It's experimental in the sense that it's using custom software to send the data more frequently (1 minute) than the standard Acurite 15-minute-based method.  Essentially it's the same data source, but with more frequent reporting.  The data are obviously in-line with each other.

However, the 15-minute Acurite station has a tendency to "drop" for some reason and come back on its own.  It might be the reporting frequency, or perhaps it's caused by a glitch at the AcuRite data center.  I've no idea.  All I can tell you is that my experimental station reports at 1-minute intervals and goes around the AcuRite data center, yet it stays on-line.  It only drops if I take it down or the whole system crashes.

The only time I've heard of wunderground removing a station for problems is if the temperature is way out of line.

My humidity reading has been broken for months at a time due to the well-known AcuRite sensor problem, yet Wunderground didn't complain a bit.

It's not too particular about the barometer reading, either.  I've sent absolute, MSL, and randomly calibrated and they don't seem to notice. 

The only service I know of that actively drops like described is CWOP.  Wunderground seems overly-tolerant of goofy data.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 05:28:56 PM »
There is definitely some sort of correlation between how often WU is up dated and/or how often the site is looked at.

My two stations and the next closest station to me are all dropping the sticker data and falling off of the map.  If I go to the WU page and refresh it about 7 to 10 times in a row the sticker and map come back and stay for a few hours and then drop out again.   If I leave the WU page up and let it self refresh nothing drops out.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 06:26:13 PM »
Here is another screen shot of how close the acurite is to the Davis