Author Topic: Weatherlink stopped receiving data from new station  (Read 954 times)

Offline metro750

Weatherlink stopped receiving data from new station
« on: November 15, 2018, 07:11:49 PM »
Hello everyone.  I installed a new weather station on 9/3/18, that is, I replaced the sensor suite because I was having various problems with it and it was 10 years old.  Everything else is the same with my setup:

cabled sensor suite
Weather Envoy with data logger connected to modem and computer
Weatherlink IP that uploads data to Davis and WU
Weatherlink 6.0.3 software on my Windows 10 pc

The new weather station worked great for about 3 weeks.  I was in and out of town for the months of September and October so I didn't have time to monitor it closely and I'm just now trying to figure out what happened.

After 3 weeks, there started to be missing data each day for a block of time between about 9a and 6p, and the size of the interval varied.  Then, after a week of days with missing data, no data at all.  Looking at the Browse window in WL, all I get now is barometric pressure and inside temp.  I believe both of those sensors are on the Envoy (?) so it seems I'm not getting anything from the outside sensors.  I checked all my cable connections, and I tried deleting the *.dat files from my weather database, but still no luck. 

I also tried checking the continuity in the cable from the station to the Envoy and I can't verify that it's OK (I don't have 100% confidence in the tester) but it seems unlikely that the cable would spontaneously fail after 10 years with no problems.

Any other things I should try before replacing the cable? Thanks in advance!

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Weatherlink stopped receiving data from new station
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 03:27:17 AM »
Make sure that the ISS is still set to transmit on Channel #1 (Setup | Set Transceiver) and with no other channels set to ON. (Unlikely that this is the issue but always worth a quick check. NB Not 100% sure whether you can do this with a cabled Envoy - the relevant menu might be greyed out - but only takes a second to check)

Another simple explanation would obviously be a cable fault. If you can bring the ISS indoors then I'd suggest buying a short (8') new cable to act as a test cable. It might be an unnecessary spend but it's often the simplest way of doing a definitive cable check.

If still no luck and all the inside data is still there and at the expected archive interval then I'd probably start to suspect an intermittent fault with the transmitter board.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline metro750

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 01:41:41 PM »
Thanks for your reply, johnd.  I checked the transceiver settings in WL and station 1 is set to ISS with all other stations set to Off.

It would be really difficult to bring the ISS indoors, but you make a good point about running a spare cable directly from the ISS to the Envoy over the shortest possible route before actually installing it (which requires crawling under the house, etc.).  I do have some spare Davis cable, connectors, and a crimping tool. 

When you say a fault in the transmitter board, you mean the transmitter board in the new ISS? I ask because there must be a board or some circuits in the Envoy as well and I'm not sure if those ever fail.  Of course, the Envoy is inside the house, mounted on the wall, so it's not exposed to the weather like ISS components.

Offline metro750

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 08:32:56 PM »
OK, I ran a new cable directly from the ISS to the Envoy and I get perfect results, so the fault must be in the installed cable. 

I'm going to try replacing the section that is most exposed to the weather, the section that goes from the ISS, under the deck, and right before it goes under the house.