Author Topic: Looking for a setup to report data to Wunderground, CWOP  (Read 4827 times)

Offline seth.elsen

• Hood Canal Salmon Enhancement Group
Looking for a setup to report data to Wunderground, CWOP
« on: November 22, 2016, 03:48:08 PM »
Hi all!
I work for a non-profit organization here in western WA. Recently, we had a bird watcher who visits our property regularly offer to give us $1000 towards a weather station. I'm hoping y'all can help me a bit on figuring out where to go next.

We'd love to have a station to collect basics (temp, precip, wind, barometric pressure, etc) and a way to transmit that to Wunderground, but also we'd like to transmit the data as part of NOAA's CWOP. Does anyone have a recommendation on what setup would allow us to do this, between $1k-2500?

Thank you!

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Re: Looking for a setup to report data to Wunderground, CWOP
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 04:00:26 PM »
Hi all!
I work for a non-profit organization here in western WA. Recently, we had a bird watcher who visits our property regularly offer to give us $1000 towards a weather station. I'm hoping y'all can help me a bit on figuring out where to go next.

We'd love to have a station to collect basics (temp, precip, wind, barometric pressure, etc) and a way to transmit that to Wunderground, but also we'd like to transmit the data as part of NOAA's CWOP. Does anyone have a recommendation on what setup would allow us to do this, between $1k-2500?

Thank you!

You don't need all that money. I would get a Davis Vantage Pro2, with its Weatherlink software. The VP2 comes in both wireless and cabled versions. I use the wireless version. Go to Davisnet.com (the manufacturer) to shop but the best prices are likely to be at Scaled Instruments, an online retailer. There are other stations out there but most that use this Forum like the Davis products.

At Scaled Instruments, you can buy the wireless VP2 with a 24 hour fan for $559 (Davis part no. 6153), or without a fan for $428 (Davis part no. 6152). The software and datalogger (Davis part no. 6510) sells for $117. All amounts exclude shipping charges and if ordering from Scaled Instruments, you must create an account to get this pricing.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 04:08:32 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline seth.elsen

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 04:07:39 PM »
Thank you! So to confirm, something like the Vantage Pro2 and a WeatherLink would allow me to transmit my data for sites like Wunderground and as part of the CWOP?

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 04:19:01 PM »
Thank you! So to confirm, something like the Vantage Pro2 and a WeatherLink would allow me to transmit my data for sites like Wunderground and as part of the CWOP?

Exactly. Here is my WU station:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KILWHEAT17

Here is my CWOP station site:

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?CW5020

Here is Mesowest that tracks my data and shows all kinds of information.

http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base.cgi?stn=C5020

Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline seth.elsen

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 04:22:15 PM »
Many thanks for the examples!

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 04:27:54 PM »
Many thanks for the examples!

Keep reading this Forum for other ideas. This Forum is great and loaded with knowledgeable folks and amateurs like me--a retired CPA that likes tracking and reporting weather!

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 04:42:54 PM »
You still a computer  to send the data unless you get the data non computer device that Davis sells.

Offline seth.elsen

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 04:48:53 PM »
You still a computer  to send the data unless you get the data non computer device that Davis sells.

This could be done though with the WeatherLink IP, correct?

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 04:52:52 PM »

Sorry, I assumed you had a computer. If not, you can get a Windows computer for $300 or so. I don't know anything about WeatherLink IP--someone else will chime in on this issue.

Offline seth.elsen

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 04:54:12 PM »

Sorry, I assumed you had a computer. If not, you can get a Windows computer for $300 or so. I don't know anything about WeatherLink IP--someone else will chime in on this issue.

We have a computer that we can use, certainly. It just looked like the WeatherLink transmitted data for CWOP, etc without a CPU.
http://www.davisnet.com/product/weatherlinkip-for-vantage-stations/

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 05:10:55 PM »

We have a computer that we can use, certainly. It just looked like the WeatherLink transmitted data for CWOP, etc without a CPU.
http://www.davisnet.com/product/weatherlinkip-for-vantage-stations/
Only WeatherLink IP does not use a computer, the USB and serial hookup does. USB and serial are more versatile.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 08:32:40 PM »
Hi all!

Thank you!

You don't need all that money. I would get a Davis Vantage Pro2, with its Weatherlink software. The VP2 comes in both wireless and cabled versions. I use the wireless version. Go to Davisnet.com (the manufacturer) to shop but the best prices are likely to be at Scaled Instruments, an online retailer. There are other stations out there but most that use this Forum like the Davis products.

At Scaled Instruments, you can buy the wireless VP2 with a 24 hour fan for $559 (Davis part no. 6153), or without a fan for $428 (Davis part no. 6152). The software and datalogger (Davis part no. 6510) sells for $117. All amounts exclude shipping charges and if ordering from Scaled Instruments, you must create an account to get this pricing.

In addition to the above, you need to figure out where you plan to locate your station. There is a good discussion of this on the CWOP weathersite viewable here:

http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/CWOP_Guide.pdf

You may need to buy a tripod or something else (a fixed pole maybe) to put your Integrated Sensor Suite. In addition, you may need a different location for your anemometer--desirably up high. Where I live, I have a great place for my ISS, but not for the anemometer, so I just accept that my wind speeds are way too low and move on.

Offline Sooner Al

• Old enough to know better...
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 05:31:16 AM »
FWIW and as noted by the others I use a Davis VP2 (non-aspirated) in my backyard. In my case I use a Meteobridge to get data to both CWOP, the Weather Underground and the MesoWest networks which also puts my data on the NWS mesonet site.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Retired NWS ESA/ET
Sys: Davis VP2 (Wireless)

Offline seth.elsen

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 03:49:36 PM »
I appreciate all of your guys' help! I think we're going to go ahead with the wireless Vantage Pro 2 with WeatherLink IP to transmit data to NWS, Wunderground, etc. I also appreciate the info re: sighting. Anything else that we should plan on getting to make sure we're all setup to transmit? From everything I can find, seems like the Vantage Pro 2 and Weather Link IP will do what we need. I just wasn't sure if there is additional software aside from WeatherLink that we'd need, as I scan this page - http://www.wxqa.com/cwop_info.htm#Signup and Access Information:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 03:51:40 PM by seth.elsen »

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
  • Too soon old, too late smart.
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 12:49:39 AM »
Sorry to be a little late to the discussion. I have a VP2 but catch the data with this:
http://www.ambientweather.com/amairbridgereceiver.html
It doesn't require an adapter from Davis and gets the transmission from the ISS directly.
It is plugged into a Raspberry Pi, a very low powered Linux device which reports the data to WU for me, but can also report to many other sources using Meteohub, a low cost app with great support that reports to almost every site recording wx data.
This is the RPi I use, and it is several years old. You don't need to buy the Pi3 unless you want the wireless BT and WiFi.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-16317Pi B+
The Meteohub info is here; that's the software I use, but there is also Meteobridge to consider. Check them both out.
http://wiki.meteohub.de/Hardware_Overview

My hub has been reporting error free for over a year now, and the one glitch I had in the beginning was easily resolved. In my opinion, this is the best solution for connecting your Wx station to your sites. JMHO
-Lee

Davis VP2, Meteostick, RPi Meteohub, KCACALIF33
working on an RPi webcam and a 30 ft. flagpole...

Offline Billyram

• The Rapids
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 09:03:59 AM »
So all I need to link my pws to WU is the 6510 datalogger to go between the 6153 and my router?
The meteobridge is not needed? Is the meteobridge just a expensive wireless access point?
Billy

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 10:23:22 AM »
Yes - a logger will ink your Weatherlink IP to the world. The MB box gives you so much more!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2017, 11:35:41 AM »
So all I need to link my pws to WU is the 6510 datalogger to go between the 6153 and my router?
Yes - a logger will ink your Weatherlink IP to the world.
But I think the 6510 is a serial or USB logger, and the 6540 is the IP version.

Paul

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2017, 11:39:58 AM »
and the 6540 is the IP version.

6555 actually.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 01:04:02 PM »
Ah, sorry, I should have actually looked it up but knew it was not 6510.

Paul

Offline seth.elsen

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 08:18:20 PM »
UPDATE: I went ahead and bought the Vantage Pro 2 with WeatherLink IP. Rookie mistake - I was under impression that with WeatherLink IP, we could link our VP2 to wireless to transmit data, but it seems that I still have to hook up the data logger to a router with a cord. Anything I'm missing, or is there a better solution for this out there?

Thanks!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2017, 08:30:40 PM »
UPDATE: I went ahead and bought the Vantage Pro 2 with WeatherLink IP. Rookie mistake - I was under impression that with WeatherLink IP, we could link our VP2 to wireless to transmit data, but it seems that I still have to hook up the data logger to a router with a cord. Anything I'm missing, or is there a better solution for this out there?

Thanks!
If you want to put your data out with Davis, no matter what, VP2, Vue, you MUST use some form of data logger. Your choice is IP, USB, or serial. What wasn't made clear?

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2017, 10:30:26 PM »
that's not really the issue though CW2274
the issue seth.elsen is that the IP data logger needs to be connected to the router via a LN cable, i.e it is not a wireless connection to the router
i.e it needs to be placed close enough to the router for a LAN cord to reach

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2017, 11:37:37 PM »
I was under impression that with WeatherLink IP, we could link our VP2 to wireless to transmit data, but it seems that I still have to hook up the data logger to a router with a cord.
That sure sounds like to me that he/she thought it is a wireless connection, not wired, which of course it is. Nonetheless...

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2017, 12:06:35 AM »
One of the Meteobridge variants will do wireless.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!