Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 109299 times)

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Sorry, I can't answer that question.  I have only connected my Vue/WiFiLogger with both A/C and batteries installed.

Paul

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
I'm assuming that, like the OEM Davis WL-IP data-logger, that *IF* the Console is being powered by the #6625 AC adapter that the internal 3xC-cell batteries are not truly necessary and could be eliminated. Yes? No? Maybe?

Yes WiFiLogger is working like any other data logger. If you have AC adapter plugged that is a main power supply, If you pull out AC adapter then start to work using battery power.
Problem is bigger current consumption. It is bigger than USB/RS232 data logger and equal to IP Logger.

Console without any data logger can work on batteries 1 year.
Console with RS232/USB data logger can work about 3 months.
Console with WiFiLogger/IP Logger can wotk using batteries 3-4 days.

But I have add option to switch WiFiLogger to external power. If you add second ac adapter for WiFiLogger or  you manage to split original AC adapter cable. Then batteries will be not used with WiFi chip.
However, the console is still equipped with the ability to write archived data. So even  if you switch WiFiLogger to external power source life on batteries should be about 3 month just like RS232/USB data logger.

Logic is simple. If you don't have power at home, your router don't have power as well. No internet, no reason to drain batteries.

Original IP Logger also should have that option, becouse it's loosing data.
When you have a storm and you pull out AC adapter and you will forget to plug in. Then after 3 days batteries are dead, and no power.
Common issue with IP Logger.

I give you this option with external power source to prevent this situation. You choose, very convinient internal power supply from console, or external with second adapter, or splited cable.
+ There will be an option to automaticly shut down WiFi chip to save batteries, that option should be good for solar panels.

I am using DC UPS made by myself from old laptop Li-Ion cells. Not perfect but cheap and works fine. I will make some documentation and start separate post with this solution.
"How to buy 3 item from china and make yourself DC UPS for Davis weather station"

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
is it better that the davis IP data logger in relation to more than 1 connection?

It is not a problem of any data logger. Console has only one connection.
You can use only one software at the time.
If you are using WeatherLink then you can't use Cumulus.
WiFiLogger internal software is also working like WeatherLink or Cumulus. So collision may occur.
If WiFiLogger is uploading data, then you just can't connect with Cumulus to console throught WiFiLogger.
If you upload to WU every 15 min using internal WiFiLogger software, then you have 15 minutes free time between uploads.
With RapidFire which uploads every 3s. You have only 2.5s for Cumulus software.

I will add button to make pause for internal software to stop uploading data and clear this channel for WeatherLink/Cumulus to allow to download archive data.

Original IP Logger send data every 1 min. There is also problem with collision, it's tricky to download archive data, becouse full reading takes 2 min 15 s. And there is interaption every 1 min.

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
i think this just fantastic news i have a redundant vp2 project simply they reluctantly did not budget for the additional cost for the logger and computer .

as this project runs with a small computer UPS in line im really looking forward to the cost of your product and preying it’s substantially better priced than a official logger package.

kudos to you ...

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Sweet!  Any idea on pricing?

Pricing:

WiFiLogger price is $169. I think resellers will sell it with discount. You should expect -15% at the beginning.

There will be second product. WiFiLogger Lite with price $109. Also expect -15% at the beginning.

WiFiLogger Lite will be simple data logger like RS232/USB, it will need running computer to download and share data, but via WiFi.
Good to work with Cumulus or WeatherLink. That becouse is an Internet technology, you can still share data regardless of distance. Only one connection at same time (console limitation).

Please note that it comes without WeatherLink.
So you need to have original RS232/USB/IP data logger which has licence for WeatherLink.
Cumulus is a free software.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Curiosity question: What's the RF output power and thus 'nominal' operating range?

Tx Power
802.11 b: +20 dBm
802.11 g: +17 dBm
802.11 n: +14 dBm
Rx Sensitivity
802.11 b: -91 dbm (11 Mbps)
802.11 g: -75 dbm (54 Mbps)
802.11 n: -72 dbm (MCS7)

Using Mode N, operation range is not much. If you have router on second floor, maybe you will need to switch to Mode G or even B.
B & G has more power and better sensitivity.
This WiFi chip is popular now. People test it very well. It has very good operating range, but using external antena.
WiFiLogger has builtin antena and it's under cover.
Distance is a problem only with special use. At normal house, that should not be a problem.

For distance I have idea to add GSM module as an external module in a future.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
So if this only works with Cumulus or weatherlink one at a time just like the Davis logger and I'm using Cumulus already and not changing, I'm trying to see advantage of this over WL data logger which BTW is less money.

I'm not turning computer off because Cumulus and website uploads its needed, while wifi is nice it isn't something I really need so what advantage would I have using this product?
Randy

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
So if this only works with Cumulus or weatherlink one at a time just like the Davis logger and I'm using Cumulus already and not changing, I'm trying to see advantage of this over WL data logger which BTW is less money.

I'm not turning computer off because Cumulus and website uploads its needed, while wifi is nice it isn't something I really need so what advantage would I have using this product?

This product is just not for you in that case. You like to have computer always on and Cumulus software to upload data.
WiFilogger needs only router. When it has WiFi connection to the internet it can upload data to WL,WU, PWS .... by itself.
It's like original IP logger, but it's WiFi and you can setup what it will do for you.
Original one can work with WeatherLink/Cumulus and upload to WeatherLink.com
WiFiLogger has some more options to export data, you can view data on its web interface also.
If somebody has original IP logger I don't think he will be interested in my product.
If somebody use set computer + weatherlink/cumulus in that case WiFi is useless.
But if somebody has VP2/Vue without any data logger, that can be quit good option for him. WiFi + no computer

Please take it into consideration that WiFiLogger will have more functions in the future.

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
Wojtek, would it be possible as a future firmware upgrade to communicate with a mysql database?  I have had some of my customers ask about that and I have to refer them to purchasing an envoy 8x which is an extra expense if they already have a console.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Wojtek, would it be possible as a future firmware upgrade to communicate with a mysql database?  I have had some of my customers ask about that and I have to refer them to purchasing an envoy 8x which is an extra expense if they already have a console.

I will try, but I don't know now if than can be done.
I have idea to make program for server. PHP script which will receive data from WiFiLogger and put it to MySQL database.
Everyone is using this scheme: WeatheLink.com, wunderground,pwsweather. But my PHP program will be free to use. You will have to install it on server, prepare MySQL and data will be storage in this database. It easiest to make and have more potential that exporting to database directly. Also this method need less data to send. Important if you are using a GSM connection.
So using WiFiLoggers network + server with PHP software you will be able to establish your own little Weathelink.com, wunderground, PWS etc. service.
It will transmit all data: current data, HiLows, archive. All of them will be storage in MySQL database.
After that you have to do some work and make nice view of this data on your website.

That is my idea. Easy do make, very powerfull for you.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Please take it into consideration that WiFiLogger will have more functions in the future.

And, it's WiFi. There have been many posts here wanting a wireless connection from the console to computer or Internet. WiFi logger has already solved one problem for me in that manner.

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments

And, it's WiFi. There have been many posts here wanting a wireless connection from the console to computer or Internet. WiFi logger has already solved one problem for me in that manner.

Yup many people ask me "when is Davis going to come out with a wifi data logger?"  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  Certainly they have got to be working on one?... maybe?

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
Just wondering if anyone here has tested this with Weather Display?

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline cabud

This is amazing news, and will actually be a tipping point for a Davis purchase for me.

This will solve the console location problem, WiFi will make it doable at my site.

Also the Lite version sounds like it might be what I'm looking for, if it will interface with software, particularly http://www.weewx.com/

I would be ready to purchase as soon as available

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
I have idea to make program for server. PHP script which will receive data from WiFiLogger and put it to MySQL database.

My suggestion is to use the already-defined Meteotemplate URL posting API in your custom PHP code above.  It should easily fit into an ESP8266, and re-using that API also lets your neat device feed the popular Meteotemplate web software using the exact same simple code.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
I'd like to see/read the instructions on how one inputs/loads the (a) network name (SSID) and network security key (password) into the device...so the WiFi modem will talk to it; and, then,  (b) the Davis WL password so its transmissions will be recognized (and not blocked) at the Davis website.
Not sure if I can answer, or really understand Weatherlink.com.
Before WiFiLogger I had to run Weatherlink on my computer for data to show on Weatherlink.com  (free, non-subscription version)for
Now with WiFiLogger I have the device ID  and key in the settings and  my station and data is on the map.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
....Before WiFiLogger I had to run Weatherlink on my computer for data to show on Weatherlink.com  (free, non-subscription version)....

But that would not have been a WLIP logger, would it?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
....Before WiFiLogger I had to run Weatherlink on my computer for data to show on Weatherlink.com  (free, non-subscription version)....

If you have damaged WLIP logger and take it ID and Password then WiFiLogger will become your WLIP logger.
You can have free account on WeatherLink.com and you will generate ID and Password( those are for WeatherLink PC version)
Free account it is not a WLIP logger, but WeatherLink.com is underconstruction. It accept all data: current, hilows, archive. Now everything depends on Davis which data will you be given back on theirs website.

Original WLIP has very good system to upload data to WeatherLink.com. Best of all interface WU, PWS, CWOP etc. In very easy way it transmit whole memory.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Just wondering if anyone here has tested this with Weather Display?

Stuart

I just did for you. WiFiLogger is connecting normally with Weather Display.
Good software for WiFILogger Lite.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
I would expect Davis will put the screws on any non Davis loggers that can upload to WL.com. I feel a "GREEN GREEN" dot logger V2 coming on and another round of firmware updates just to ram home some more incompatibility  :-x   

Offline PraveenC31

This is great but isnt the pricing too high? A belfryboy logger costs around 65$ I guess, add a raspberry pi to it for 35$ and you get same capability in 100$. Agreed that this has built in software to upload etc, but you can achieve the same using weewx etc on raspberry.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Maybe, but that only for new devices. Those thousands that are on the market will not change.
I hope becouse of WiFiLogger there will be more Davis VP2/Vue users all over the world.
I very like Davis products.  I really don't want to make any problem for them.
They loose a lot of clients becouse other weather stations has communication with bluetooth,WiFi etc.
Davis weather stations has very good quality with reasonable price. We all know that data transmition is the weakest point, but we all still love it.
That why there is so many 3rd party software.

You may think that is a clone, but it was not possible to make this compact device without using the entire surface of the expansion port.
That becouse is has data logger form, you can power it from console and you have no additional wires.

It's 2018 WiFi and Ethernet and Bluetooth should be built into the console.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
This is great but isnt the pricing too high? A belfryboy logger costs around 65$ I guess, add a raspberry pi to it for 35$ and you get same capability in 100$. Agreed that this has built in software to upload etc, but you can achieve the same using weewx etc on raspberry.

Yes price is not low, but it's includes technical support, new updates, the possibility of cooperation with resellers, and a warranty.

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather

No, I have the USB logger connected to an Envoy and the computer and only run Weatherlink on occasion to maintain the .wlk data files and then switch back to Cumulus.  I have again been experimenting with VVP to run both Cumulus and Weatherlink at the same time.  But before WiFiLogger weatherlink.com did not show any data nor on the map until I was actually running Weatherlink.  Now with WiFiLogger weatherlink.com has constant data.  Not sure yet what consequences if I have WiFiLogger uploading to weatherlink.com and then also run Weatherlink off of the Envoy/USB logger on the computer.

Enjoy,
Paul

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Sweet!  Any idea on pricing?

Pricing:

WiFiLogger price is $169. I think resellers will sell it with discount. You should expect -15% at the beginning.

There will be second product. WiFiLogger Lite with price $109. Also expect -15% at the beginning.
Wojtek,
Are those in US$ and is shipping cost dependent on where it is bought?

Enjoy,
Paul