Author Topic: VP2 lamp randomly turns off  (Read 454 times)

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
    • Anthem North Parkside, AZ
VP2 lamp randomly turns off
« on: July 22, 2019, 06:47:07 PM »
I decided the VP2 console was too hard to read without the backlight on so I decided to keep it on, adjusting the indoor temperature to compensate. This has been working fine for a couple of years.

The last few weeks or so, I randomly find that the lamp has turned off. As far as I can tell, there are no power outages or spikes the might cause this. Ideas?

Davis Vantage Vue, Davis Pro 2 Console with Wifi Logger
Weather Display software
WU: KAZNEWRI17
PWS: ANTHEMNP
CWOP: EW7526

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: VP2 lamp randomly turns off
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 06:56:03 PM »
Silly as it sounds, but you sure it's still plugged in? On batts alone, it'll auto switch off.

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 07:15:14 PM »
Oh, it's definitely plugged in. It will go for several days before I find the lamp off. I've verified, again, that both ends of the AC adapter is plugged in. I even pulled the batteries and verified they're good.

Weather Display software

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 10:12:46 PM »
Power failures, even if a second or two might cause this. Have you had these or power surges? Either of these events could trigger the console to ask permission from you before using the lights on. Absent further Forum ideas, give Davis support a call.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 12:56:31 PM »
I have two VP2 consoles - and one of them does that occasionally.

I attribute it to very short power "glitches".  It started just after a new electric clothes dryer was installed in the room that is on the other side of the wall, and that has the power outlet that the VP2 console is plugged into.

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 02:36:56 PM »
I've thought about power glitches but haven't seen another other indications of them. The console is in my office which has plenty of other electronics. No new devices have been added in this or any adjacent rooms. Unfortunately, the lamp hasn't gone off while I've been sitting next to it which might prove it is a glitch.

Weather Display software

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 04:44:57 PM »
I've thought about power glitches but haven't seen another other indications of them. The console is in my office which has plenty of other electronics. No new devices have been added in this or any adjacent rooms. Unfortunately, the lamp hasn't gone off while I've been sitting next to it which might prove it is a glitch.

Yes, these would have to be EXTREMELY brief events that wouldn't affect anything else.  Not easy to prove, and it's just a suspicion on my part, based on coincidence.  And in my case it's random - usually a few days between occurrances.  And doesn't seem to ever occur when nobody is using the new electric clothes dryer - but doesn't seem to always occur when somebody IS using the dryer.

....but you did ask if anybody else was seeing something lik you are seeing.