Author Topic: How I fixed my Vantage Vue temperature/humidity problem  (Read 24163 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: How I fixed my Vantage Vue temperature/humidity problem
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2016, 05:13:08 PM »
No, about 6 months old.

Offline nixxon

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2016, 12:33:11 PM »
No, about 6 months old.

I see. For some reason, my Vue console sees the anemometer switch closed less frequently than your console.

Right now it is shows a switch-closed to switch-open ratio of "66" to "90 00" (real value 19000).  The "Total number of good packets received" (in the bottom right corner of the Statistical Diagnostic Screen 1 was 19066).

66 counts closed / 19066 total packets * 100% = Anemometer switch is only closed 0.346 % of the time. Thus the switch is open 99.654% of the time. This means that the ISS is seeing the switch closed only once every 289 times it checks the anemometer switch status. Because my wind speed is working right now, and the switch is so rarely seen as closed, I believe that the ISS is taking sudden measurements of the switch status (open/closed), and that it is not counting the total number of the times the switch has been closed.

In my oscilloscope screenshot at http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=24701.msg296448#msg296448 it seems that the anemometer switch OpAmp/Transistor "Q1" has a switch closed output period of ~1/10000 second or 0.0001 second (one half of 200 us (microseconds)). Hmm... I can't explain this right now. I have to study the matter a little closer. Later...

Offline nixxon

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2016, 04:00:45 PM »
Now the anemometer switch closed / open ratio is: 87 / 15100 (total 15187)

The probability of the switch being closed is 87/15187=0.00573 = 0.573%
(switch is closed 1 in 175 times)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 04:45:59 AM by nixxon »

Offline William BAZ

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2019, 02:14:48 PM »
help me please

my Davis is in a few hours of the day losing signal of temperature and humidity and getting only wind and rain, when the temperature and humidity works for the rain, I dismantled it cleaned, changed the pile and did not solve, if put in the sun it loses the signal that I noticed, the led also does not light in just a few moments, I took the battery it worked a few hours even without sun and without battery then stopped what can I do? help me

Offline dibasta

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2023, 06:20:44 PM »
I know this thread is now a few months old but I'd like to chip in here with a problem I started experiencing about a week ago.
I bought my Vantage Vue in 2010 and, until recently, had been giving good service. Recently I noticed the outside humidity was giving much lower readings than it should have been. After a few days, it went to 0%. Then I noticed something odd. On a sunny day (and I do mean sunny), the humidity sensor would spring back to life. But once the sun started going off the ISS in late afternoon, the humidity reading would start to drop again until it hit 0%.... and stayed that way overnight. Over the past few days, if we have sun, the sensor will 'wake up', but even a cloudy day will zero it again.

Ok, after all this ramble, my question would be: would this problem likely be related to the above thread?

Many thanks.

Hello,
I have the same problem!! can someone give the solution?
Regards, dibasta.

Edit:

anyone???
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 04:25:03 PM by dibasta »

Offline dibasta

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2023, 09:13:54 PM »
Nobody??

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2023, 05:48:15 AM »
You haven't made it easy for people to respond by only quoting from an ancient thread with the quote in a tiny font (on my Windows PC at least).

If you have a significant problem with RH readings on a Vue then sadly the only straightforward solution is a new Vue ISS. If your Vue is old enough (ca 2010 roughly) then there was a spare T/H available, though I doubt whether anyone has this spare any longer. But after around 2010/11 then the design changed and the spare wasn't relevant.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dibasta

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2023, 05:43:32 PM »
Hello

By quoting, I have clearly indicated what the problem is with me, namely exactly as it is described!

But thanks for your reply, I'll spend the weekend looking forward to what year my VUE is.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 05:45:57 PM by dibasta »

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2023, 09:22:23 PM »
If you have 4 pin removable connectors then you are buggered, replacement parts either no longer available or would be extremely extremely hard to find, if any. If new style Vue with all-in-one cabling to the main board then you are also buggered as the main board/cabling/components come as a set and that will not fit your old shell if it predates the current Vue design. 

Offline dibasta

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2023, 07:46:08 AM »
I have 2 removable cables running from motherboard, one is, Hum and Temp. (4 pins) other is... I don't know off the top of my head! Everything taken apart and cleaned, but it doesn't matter, the problem remains. how can I find out how old my Vue is?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2023, 08:01:51 AM »
how can I find out how old my Vue is?

https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/find-the-model-mfg-code

Probably first 2 digits of the Manufacturing Code (unless it was 2009). But if you have cables with pogo pins then it will be the original design, in which case a replacement T/H sensor was available as part 7345.283 if memory serves. But good luck finding one of these now.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline EA1EF

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2023, 11:33:20 AM »
Needed to understand that before any use of volatile thing near humidity sensor needed proofing it because the sensor are extremly sensitive to it.

Good look with hum reads.

Offline dibasta

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2023, 06:01:58 PM »
Hello,
I'm afraid I'd better go for the Vp2, and run my Vue with a humidity sensor that is unfortunately broken?
Would like to thank everyone for thinking along.
thanks again !

Offline jnissen

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2024, 03:53:29 PM »
This is an old thread but I will try to document the issues and fixes I encountered with the Vantage Vue.

1. Low power or battery fails in the ISS. Ultimately was found that the super capacitor inside the ISS is the fault. I carefully "dremeled" the case apart near the capacitor. There are a few posts with pics on how this is accomplished. I replace the faulty super capacitor with a similar unit but with a slightly elevated working voltage. I covered the area with a conformal coating to protect the remaining circuitry. So far it's been working 12 months without issues.

2. Humidity levels were reporting incorrectly. I searched and searched for a replacement sensor chip. The original manufacturer no longer produces the units and I couldn't find a new replacement after looking for months. Instead of ordering a new ISS or board for the ISS I tried heating the sensor with my hot air soldering station. It got the chip quite warm and the solder actually melted. I removed the chip and inspected it carefully. I tried a second hand sensor I had obtained with no guarantee it would work. True to the words - it did not work. Not only were the humidity levels off but the temperature sensor itself was no longer reporting. So back to install my previously partially working unit.

After the original unit was reinstalled on the board I tested it and to my amazement the humidity levels were reporting near ideal. I believe the process of heating the chip up may have released some trapped moisture inside the unit. Not exactly sure but the bottom line is that I have had solid temperature and humidity levels. It's been operating like this for at least six months without issue.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2024, 04:07:15 AM »
This is along the lines of what I did to my VP2 Humidity sensor. It also uses a sensor that is not being produced any longer so replacement is not an option at the moment and the sensor Davis uses now is not compatible with the PCB. I removed the sensor, cleaned and reballed the PCB and upon installing it the sensor read fine for a few days.  This time I baked the sensor in a low temp oven and replaced the coating and that has lasted several months. Just recently I've went back to the night time humidity drops and during the days all is fine.  Guess I'll spend the money for the new updated version sensor. I've rode the repair attempts as far as I can go  #-o

Wayne

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline wsNoordbergum

• Contributor
    • wsNoordbergum
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2024, 05:40:24 PM »
Had a Vue with the humidity problem, the SHT11 sensor was showing way to low humidity readings during night and in good conditions it would be back to normal, temperature was ok
So I desoldered the tiny PCB with the SHT11 on it and replaced it with a SY-SHT11 (only about 15 $ on Ali) which is plug and play with the Davis board, same board en pinout
Soldered it in and yes temperature and humidity are good
So it seems a replacement for the rare and expensive SHT11 is available
Davis Vantage Pro 2 UV/Solar
Meteobridge nano SD
Ecowitt WS90 WH40 WH31 WH57 GW2000 HP2550_c
CumulusMX/raspberry Pi 4b