Author Topic: "big" snow forecast  (Read 2183 times)

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
"big" snow forecast
« on: February 23, 2012, 07:30:11 AM »
Its only 10-15cms, but surprisingly, its the largest storm forecast so far this season.   Bulk to hit right at rush hour.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: "big" snow forecast
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 08:10:20 AM »
Why do I think March will be more wintery than winter was?

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 08:31:21 AM »
I agree. Ever since the groundhog didnt see his shadow, winter started for us.

Last Friday morning, we had a forecast of 2cms' Friday night, that afternoon it was up'd to 2-4cms.  Woke up to around 8cm's on the ground, snowed most of the day, but temp rose a bit so it melted as it hit road and clear driveways.   got to use my blower for the 2nd time in a week (2nd time all year)

Fingers crossed for a week from now, I have a 2 hour drive, and hoping its uneventful.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 11:37:04 AM »
I can sum it up in one word: 1993   #-o
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 06:57:09 AM »
Woke up to zero snow.  Not even trace.  Still took the train, as we are under a "heavy snowfall" warning.  I guess it got slowed up, as we were supposed to get 5cm between midnight and rush hour.  Still going to be nasty for normal rush hour folks as it is snowing (very wet downtown almost rain mixed) the greater Toronto area.  Still saying 10-15cms.

Andrew

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 12:05:21 PM »
Enviro Canada is doing some egg-on-face damage control this morn.

Lots of people decided to work from home today.  School buses were canceled in the suburbs (that decision has to be made by 6am).

Just before 8am they canceled the Snowfall Warning.  Revised forecast down from 15cm to 2-5cm with lots of rain thrown in.

The front slowed then shifted north, so we ended up on the warm side of the storm.   Accidents happen, but I think even they admit throwing out the warning so early for only 10-15cm was a little over the top. Next storm there will be a cry wolf from the general public for sure.  6 million people in GTA alone.  But at this rate, they will probably forget cause it will happen next season.

Andrew

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 04:13:36 PM »
I don't know.  WGN this morning was talking about two more systems in the next week.  The next one is supposed to go north of Chicago, but they weren't sure of the one following it.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 05:40:18 PM »
Just before 8am they canceled the Snowfall Warning.  Revised forecast down from 15cm to 2-5cm with lots of rain thrown in.

Gee Andrew, I thought all you Canadians scoffed at anything less than a meter (3 feet US).   :eek:

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 06:22:14 PM »
Like the rest of the west, we have become very soft.

Havent seen a meter of snow since 1999 when we got about that in a week.  Had to call in army to get EMS around the city.

Andrew

Gee Andrew, I thought all you Canadians scoffed at anything less than a meter (3 feet US).   :eek:

anything