• facebook
oh my!
« on: January 06, 2011, 08:43:02 AM »
John 3:16

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: oh my!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 01:21:45 PM »
Something doesn't look right about that video. Those kids didn't even skip a beat when that lightning hit. 
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 01:43:20 PM »
Something doesn't look right about that video. Those kids didn't even skip a beat when that lightning hit.  

I agree, why standing out in the rain with a video camera, and then they just happens to have it pointed at those kids.  #-o

No, I think it's a fake.
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 02:56:11 PM »
Never seen orange ligthing either, nothing flying  from the strike. With all the sap in that tree lighting bolt  choose to jump from it too ground thru air. Seems to me it would have been the path of least resistant. and last not least several of those that close the report would have been there everytime. Last 3 was rumble but no fresh report

John

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 04:58:03 PM »

That's what first caught my attention. Most people would have been at least startled from a strike right there in your face. Also the sound from it wasn't instantaneous, there was a slight delay. I would lean more toward it being a lens or other reflection from a more distant strike.
No flash reflection from the wet road directly below or from the side of the vehicle. There was a small reflection from the vehicle up near the front though possibly from the strike some distance out to the left of the frame?

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 05:45:55 PM by DanS »

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 06:04:33 PM »
I wouldn't call it fake exactly, but more a misrepresentation.  Dan beat me to this, but the sound delay after the first strike suggests that the real strike was a block or two away.

If the real strike were that close, both kids would have been knocked flat on their asses before they knew what hit them.  And like John suggested, it probably would have hit the tree instead.

The orange color doesn't bother me though, as I've witnessed that when lightning hit an oak tree in our front yard when I was a kid.

Offline KeithBC

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 12:14:13 PM »
Agree.  Lots of the supposed "lightning strike" videos are reflections in a window of a strike behind the photographer.

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 02:28:24 PM »
FYI

The user have removed that video, wonder why?  :-k
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus