Author Topic: windows 10 usb port communication error  (Read 24604 times)

Offline simonbee

windows 10 usb port communication error
« on: November 14, 2015, 08:36:27 AM »
earlier today my pc upgraded to the latest version of windows 10.  since then, i have not been able to download any data from my vantage pro 2, i get a communication error.  it seems to ber unable to find the vantage via it's usb connection.  has anyone else experienced the same since upgrading?

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
Re: windows 10 usb port communication error
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 09:12:54 AM »
Best way to overcome that is to upgrade to windows XP!  :twisted:

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 10:04:33 AM »
earlier today my pc upgraded to the latest version of windows 10.  since then, i have not been able to download any data from my vantage pro 2, i get a communication error.  it seems to ber unable to find the vantage via it's usb connection.  has anyone else experienced the same since upgrading?
Was this an update (i.e. you were already running Windows 10 and the recent major update was automatically applied) or an upgrade (from Windows 7 or Windows 8.x)? I have been running W10 since a couple of days after its official release, and have had no serious problems accessing  my VP 2+ with my home brew software (using the Vantage DLL), through or since installing the new OS, except that the virtual serial port number used by the Weatherlink USB connector was different under W10 from what it had been under Windows 7. My monitoring  program continued to work without problems through the recent major update.

Have you tried creating a completely new station in Weatherlink and having it refind the USB connection? Are you having any other problems with USB devices?
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline simonbee

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 10:27:55 AM »
it was the recent major update.  i hasve tried creating a new station, same thing.  have unplugged the data logger, and reconnectred it. same error.  i have tried reinstalling the CP210X USB to Serial Converter software and get an error message referring to CP210XManufacturing.dll not being installed when it is

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 05:13:53 PM »
And if you try via the serial option?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline simonbee

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 07:02:46 AM »
i have tried it on another pc running the latest build of windows 10 and the same problem.  also tried it on a pc running windows 8.1 and it works perfectly.  i have emailed Davis to advise them of the problem

Offline CurtisZM

• Forecaster
    • CurtisZMWeather
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 08:59:38 PM »
 For USB to UART Bridge (COM3 on my PC):

I'm running the CP210X USB to UART Bridge with an updated driver v6.7 on Window 10: https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/USBtoUARTBridgeVCPDrivers.aspx

Offline readman

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 05:21:56 PM »
I have the same problem with windows 10 and Weather Link.  I did notice that Widows did an update while I thought it was asleep and the USBXpress driver now says it is 11/06/2015.  I haven't been able to find a source for the older driver and I'm not sure that it would stay installed since Windows 10 updates when it feels like it.

Offline CurtisZM

• Forecaster
    • CurtisZMWeather
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 10:24:53 PM »
To All,

Also make sure to go to Device Manager, select Ports, right click on the silicon labs CP210X and select properties. Then select the power management tab. Make sure the boxes are unchecked. The last update must have turned the power save back on. Check your network adapter also.

I also checked and the recent Windows 10 update did not update the driver. Still running 6.7.

Offline readman

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 11:38:16 AM »
I'm sure its me but I don't have a "Ports" device under Device Manager.  The Silicon Laboratories Inc. USBXpress driver is 6.7.2.0 and has a date of 11/6/2015. 

Offline phqfh

• Paul's Weather Satellite and Waffle Page
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 12:07:45 PM »
Same issue here, updated my original windows 10 today and can no longer find my Vantage Vue using USB as it did before update, I downloaded latest weatherlink and tried making a new station but can't find it.

Best regards
Paul H

Offline CurtisZM

• Forecaster
    • CurtisZMWeather
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 12:17:14 PM »
Silicon Labs should be under your LPT & Com ports in device manager.

Offline CurtisZM

• Forecaster
    • CurtisZMWeather
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 12:27:57 PM »
I've attached my device manager display.

Offline readman

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 12:31:17 PM »
here is mine.  This is a fairly new computer and has no "Ports"  No Line Printer and no comm. 

Offline phqfh

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 12:43:48 PM »
Not sure how this fixes the problem but mine can be found under Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

Offline readman

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2015, 01:15:08 PM »
mine is the same. The USBXpress device only shows up when the Vantage Vue is plugged in.  Looks like CurtisZM has an older computer with serial ports.  I am using a ASUS Laptop.  My other, older laptop with windows 7 does not have "Ports" either it uses the USBXpress drivers  but they are 2009 version and it works fine with Weather Link.  I sent a email to Davis and I'll see if I get a response.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2015, 06:59:30 PM »
As suggested above have you tried running it in serial mode?   I run my USB logger in serial mode because everything except WL requires it.  Don't understand why Davis does not just tell everyone to do this.

If it were me I would also try TCP mode.

Offline readman

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2015, 07:25:15 PM »
When I select the serial button in WL and then select any comm port 1-18 I get the same error msg.  Are you using some kind USB to serial driver that makes WL think there is a serial port?

Offline CurtisZM

• Forecaster
    • CurtisZMWeather
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2015, 07:54:13 PM »
Is there a way to update the USBXpress device driver? Open the USBxpress Device and find your Silicon Labs USB file and update it?

Otherwise:
 1. Uninstall Silicon Labs CP210X USB to UART Bridge & USBXpress Device software in programs and features
 2. make sure USBXpress is not in the USB controllers. If it is, uninstall it.
 3. Reboot.
 4. Install the Silicon Labs CP201xVCPInstaller_x64.exe or the x86 software and see if that works.

On the Sandysoft forum someone had to re-install Windows 10 and everything worked.

Offline doug95630

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 12:54:06 AM »
I called Davis tech support yesterday.  They had me roll back the USBExpress driver to version 3.0.   In device manager, USB controllers, right click on the USBExpress, select properties and the driver tab.  Choose roll back driver button. If grey'ed out, unplug your sub connection to the weather station.  It should roll back to an earlier version that worked.  Was easy once I got support on the phone.

Offline phqfh

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 02:50:30 AM »
Hi Doug95630
Thanks for update, My Roll Back is greyed out so tried unplugging and plugging back in but it just loaded the new driver, just thinking maybe uninstall driver but it will probably reload the new one again.
I have sent Davis a email will report here if I get a solution
Best regards
Paul H

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 08:40:20 AM »
When I select the serial button in WL and then select any comm port 1-18 I get the same error msg.  Are you using some kind USB to serial driver that makes WL think there is a serial port?

Did you follow the instructions in the WL manual? Page 14 I think

Offline doug95630

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 09:44:34 PM »
Hi Doug95630
Thanks for update, My Roll Back is greyed out so tried unplugging and plugging back in but it just loaded the new driver, just thinking maybe uninstall driver but it will probably reload the new one again.
Best regards
Paul H

I asked them if the old driver that we rolled back to (v3.2.0.0) would get overwritten by Win10, he said no.  Someone on the forum might know how to disable auto-1updates for this driver, but I do not know how.

If greyed out, close the Weatherlink SW and unplug the USB to the WS.  That worked for me.

Offline phqfh

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 01:54:46 AM »
I have tried a few times unplugging the usb and plugging it back in but it keeps loading the new driver, I have not had any response from Davisnet, I have looked for the old driver but other than suspicious looking links not found anything reliable.
Has the above solution worked for others? other than Doug95630, are any other members still having this problem?

Best regards
Paul H

Hi Doug95630
Best regards
Paul H

I asked them if the old driver that we rolled back to (v3.2.0.0) would get overwritten by Win10, he said no.  Someone on the forum might know how to disable auto-1updates for this driver, but I do not know how.

If greyed out, close the Weatherlink SW and unplug the USB to the WS.  That worked for me.

Offline phqfh

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2015, 08:38:56 AM »
Update: All working
Further to conversation with Greg from Prodata, I uninstalled the driver then disconnected data logger next uninstall weatherlink then reboot then re-install weatherlink, start weatherlink, connect data logger and eureka :)
Still looking to find a way to stop windows from updating driver in future but from my initial research it appears that is not possible for Windows 10 home user version.
Best regards
Paul H

anything