Author Topic: Newbie, Tycon TP2700WC or AcuRite-01057RM ?  (Read 7114 times)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Newbie, Tycon TP2700WC or AcuRite-01057RM ?
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 01:21:41 PM »
But the UV and light sensors on the Tycon still make me hesitate.
I thinks it is very usefull, with ligh sensor we can know if it is a sunny or a cloudy day, and UV index is good to know since I have a friend who must protect himself from UV for medical reason.

Is there a light sensor and a UV sensor for the Acurite ? Something I can buy separatly and add to the system ?

Is there anybody here who really have the Tycon TP2700WC  ???

It seems a very rare model or it is too recent, because I can't find reviews nor owners anywhere...
You seem to have talked yourself into the Tycon.  Good for you.  There is no connected UV or light sensor (really?) for Acurite although you could get another brand and for Meteobridge or Weather Display software hook it up.

Look up any review for Fine Offset weather stations and decide.  Like I said before I had an FO (clone like the Tycon) and replaced it with an Acurite 5-1.  No contest IMHO.  I also have a VP 2 Pro and another couple of 1-Wire based systems.  Methinks you want a Cadillac for Volkswagen prices.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 01:38:35 PM »
I have Fine Offset WH1080.

I´ve had it for 5 yrs connected to Meteobridge without any problems. But I know that in terms of accuracy there is no doubt it cannot compete with the more expansive stations. In terms of value for money it is probably the best option of all, but if you really want to make accurate measurements I would recommend investing a bit more. My station now serves mostly to feed the DEMO for my template, but I know that especially in the summer, the temperatures are way too high because of the poor radiation shield (even after I replaced it with my own). Also, it is not very durable, mostly cheap plastic, it is ok for me because we don´t have strong winds here, but if you do, i would also not recommend it.

Offline astrolus

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2016, 02:30:44 PM »
I didn't make my choice yet.

I wonder where are located the UV and the light sensors on the Tycon ?

I would like to put appart the sensors on an home-made pole (not the very little pole provided) in order to put the temperature sensor (and rain gauge) lower, in the shade, and put the anemometer, UV and light sensor very higher in the light and wind.

But I can't find the information about the location of the UV and light sensors. If they are on the temperature sensor, my idea won't work because UV and light sensors must be in the ligh of the sun... but ther is a conflict because the temperature sensor must be in the shade...
And I see that there is a little solar panel ont the temperature sensor so... the temperature sensor must be in the sun ??? but I read everywhere to put the temperature sensor in the shade... huh ... there is something I don't understand....
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 02:32:35 PM by astrolus »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2016, 03:20:30 PM »
According to Fine Offset's (the manufacturer) web pages on this device, the "solar pod" that sits above the temp/hum unit has the light/uv sensor.  I guess you could decouple that and mount it separately, too.  The temp/hum sensor could be mounted elsewhere in or out of a radiation shield if you want.  BTW I tried that when I had mine - didn't really help much.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline astrolus

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2016, 03:33:43 PM »
OK !
Thanks for your searching.

So the UV sensor is ont top of the temps sensor... not very clever design... I found it clever to be able to separate the sensors in order to place some in the shade and some in the sun. It was something I found better in the Tycon than in the all-in-one Acurite sensors. But with the UV sensor on the top of the temperature sensor, it destroy all this.

With your acurite, all the sensors are in one piece, it is difficult to place it always in the shade because it have to be in the wind, high in the air and there is often no shade at a place high in the air...

How can you do that ? You must place it in the sun ? Do your Acurite temp sensor is acurate even in the sun ?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 03:36:20 PM by astrolus »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2016, 03:48:01 PM »
This has been covered.  Try the search function.  Besides, you originally asked for a budget station and now you want UV and solar sensors, separate components, etc.  In your price range it hardly maters what to get I'd say. 

Offline astrolus

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2016, 04:27:20 PM »
I read that there is a fan inside the temperature part, on the acurite, that should keep the temperature right, but I read that this fan often stops for any reason.
But maybe it is not all the models that are defectuous ?

I know that I won't have something perfect with my budget. But I still want to have the better I can for the price. Normal... as everyone.

The Tycon have everything I need but it is not very well build. So I am still hesitating. The question is, is the Acurite better build or not ? Some say yes, some say no...

I found this very interesting, it is inside the components :
http://www.philpot.me/weatherinsider.html

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2016, 04:28:21 PM »
OK !

So the UV sensor is ont top of the temps sensor... not very clever design... I found it clever to be able to separate the sensors in order to place some in the shade and some in the sun. It was something I found better in the Tycon than in the all-in-one Acurite sensors. But with the UV sensor on the top of the temperature sensor, it destroy all this.

With your acurite, all the sensors are in one piece, it is difficult to place it always in the shade because it have to be in the wind, high in the air and there is often no shade at a place high in the air...

How can you do that ? You must place it in the sun ? Do your Acurite temp sensor is acurate even in the sun ?

The placement of the thermometer is supposed to be in the open, 5-6 ft above grass, (not a hot roof)so it belongs in the sun, with the shield over it. If the supplied shield is not good enough, you can invert a plastic bowl over the top under the solar sensor. The solar sensor is also supposed to be in the sun, in the open, so that is why the station is designed this way. Also, you want the rain gauge in the same kind of location. The wind sensor should also be in the open, but as high as possible.

The acurite is not exact in the hot sun. It runs a few degrees high.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 04:31:17 PM by DoctorKnow »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2016, 05:36:11 PM »
I read that there is a fan inside the temperature part, on the acurite, that should keep the temperature right, but I read that this fan often stops for any reason.
But maybe it is not all the models that are defectuous ?

I know that I won't have something perfect with my budget. But I still want to have the better I can for the price. Normal... as everyone.

The Tycon have everything I need but it is not very well build. So I am still hesitating. The question is, is the Acurite better build or not ? Some say yes, some say no...

I found this very interesting, it is inside the components :
http://www.philpot.me/weatherinsider.html

I've owned both Acurite and Fine Offset clones (as well as a few other brand and home brews).  I much prefer the build quality of Acurite.  Those pictures of FO bring back some bad memories.

Acurite acknowledged a problem with some fan motors not working well last summer and has been replacing them as necessary with improved motors.

I've been running Acurite stations for several years now and have been very pleased with their performance, especially considering their low cost.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2016, 03:59:57 PM »
OK !

Theoretically, it could be possible to separate the solar sensor from the rest of the sensors. The temperature and humidity sensor which the other sensors plug into are the same as the 1080 and don't transmit solar data. The solar pod has its own transmitter. Or you could find an extension RJ11 cable and place the solar sensor and shield in an exposed location while the temperature and humidity sensor is in a shaded area.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 07:06:44 PM by Skywatch »
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline NanoWx

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2017, 12:02:59 PM »
@ SkyWatch ... separate the solar sensor from the rest of the sensors. ...
I did that with a TP2700WC, and lashed the solar sensor + rad-shield near everything except the temp/r.h. sensor, which is in the xmtr pkg (downside, probably should buy another shield (such as from AmbientWeather, for a WS1080, which is similar, to protect xmtr from the 'elements'). If you use extension cable (I've forgotten whether 6 conductor was necessary), be sure any connector(s) doN't crossover pins. In other words, check continuity to be sure that what will plug into the xmtr corresponds to plug pinout with the original cables.
An advantage of extension cables is that sensors can all be in relatively auspicious places for each of them, and distance from xmtr to baseStn can be minimized.
Some issues:
1) power from the solar sensor may not be enough to keep the xmtr batteries charged on a series of lo-Sol days
2) Alkaline batteries in xmtr may not stand up well to deep cold. I use newer, 2450 mAh NiMh.
3) Random changes to time and/or date on baseStn may be due to RFI impairing WWVB reception
4) Another EMI/RFI issue is with the USB cable. I use a ballasted cable, routed *away* from backside of baseStn.
5) Solar sensor (and possibly power) may degrade over time
6) Rainfall may fail to reset on baseStn, at local midnight. Manual reset has been an ongoing pain after ~ 1st year.
If you have a poor location for siting a weather stn, being able to separate sensors may offset some of the issues noted. Otherwise, saving money on the stn is liable to cost extra effort...

Offline NanoWx

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2017, 12:22:02 PM »
P.S.  FineOffset makes a lot of the re-branded, lower-end 'professional' weather stations. Closest to TP2700WC, but maybe newer: http://www.foshk.com/Weather_Professional/WH2310.html
I notice that has a link to WeatherSmart v1.8. I intend to try that on a laptop connected to baseStn of TP2700WC.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 12:25:23 PM by NanoWx »

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2017, 08:46:02 PM »
@ SkyWatch ... separate the solar sensor from the rest of the sensors. ...
I did that with a TP2700WC, and lashed the solar sensor + rad-shield near everything except the temp/r.h. sensor, which is in the xmtr pkg (downside, probably should buy another shield (such as from AmbientWeather, for a WS1080, which is similar, to protect xmtr from the 'elements'). If you use extension cable (I've forgotten whether 6 conductor was necessary), be sure any connector(s) doN't crossover pins. In other words, check continuity to be sure that what will plug into the xmtr corresponds to plug pinout with the original cables.
An advantage of extension cables is that sensors can all be in relatively auspicious places for each of them, and distance from xmtr to baseStn can be minimized.
Some issues:
1) power from the solar sensor may not be enough to keep the xmtr batteries charged on a series of lo-Sol days
2) Alkaline batteries in xmtr may not stand up well to deep cold. I use newer, 2450 mAh NiMh.
3) Random changes to time and/or date on baseStn may be due to RFI impairing WWVB reception
4) Another EMI/RFI issue is with the USB cable. I use a ballasted cable, routed *away* from backside of baseStn.
5) Solar sensor (and possibly power) may degrade over time
6) Rainfall may fail to reset on baseStn, at local midnight. Manual reset has been an ongoing pain after ~ 1st year.
If you have a poor location for siting a weather stn, being able to separate sensors may offset some of the issues noted. Otherwise, saving money on the stn is liable to cost extra effort...
I like it!
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

anything