Author Topic: WU - Let us know your issues  (Read 184266 times)

Offline dave.mccreath

• Wunderground Cambridgeshire UK
Re: WU - Let us know your issues
« Reply #1025 on: November 02, 2018, 04:38:35 PM »

With the added information you have provided, this is what I conclude. There are a couple of issues that you were experiencing before.

There may be a WU issue if you were before only uploading every 5 minutes. That explains both your missed data and delay in graph/chart results. WU servers are notoriously non-responsive. If you only upload every 5 minutes then a timeout can results In a skipped opportunity to upload and it becomes something WUnderfixer then has to deal with. A similar behavior is apparent in web cam uploads. Or it could be a Raspberry Pi freezing issue, WiFi or network issue, ISP issue. I'm lumping all this into one connectivity issue. Needs further testing to discern.

The second issue is maybe a bug in WUnderfixer/WeeWx/Pi combination in regards to time stamp of data resulting in 2 hour error. Or some misconfiguration.

The solution to use rapid-fire is I think a recommended and more optimum configuration choice. This way there is plenty of data within the 5 minute span and WU will extract from that an never miss a 5 minute frequency history plot on the 4s and 9s as you've observed. Now you won't need WUnderfixer. Now your data won't be delayed. And you benefit now from having a "Live" WU dashboard with rapid-fire.

The only time I would not recommend rapid-fire is when data bandwidth is a concern like a limited cellular connection. But even that is becoming rare. Although every rapid-fire setup is different (2 seconds vs 5 seconds vs 15 seconds... etc.), and also every ISP may count data slightly differently, I don't think that you would consume more than between few hundred MB (like 300 MB) to about a max of 1 or 1.5 Gigabytes per month. If this is a concern then do further testing for your particular software and given ISP.

I am on a cellular network but with a 200GB monthly cap and I've yet to use over half that each month, so I do not foresee it being an issue.

I also upload a captured CCTV image every 5 minutes, not yet noticed a time lag of over 2 minutes on the uploads but I presume that's to a different server than WX data.

Tomorrow I'm going to build all the required software and settings into an RPi from scratch and then try that, could be that over time I've 'played' with some settings that I shouldn't have  :oops:

The whole issue is somewhat strange, my RPi and software has been working fine for over two years without any major issues.  Yes, the clocks changed early on Sunday morning, but data delivery/display was fine until Monday afternoon (I'm in the UK and wondered if anyone did something at the server end on Monday morning?). 

Regards

Dave

Offline Trebacz

• McHenry, Illinois Weather
« Reply #1026 on: November 02, 2018, 07:55:02 PM »
I'm also seeing wunderfixer picking up quite a few missing readings every night (been uploading pretty good for years). Something is definitely going on.... It has just been the past 3 or days. I can pull logs from my cron job if it helps.

WU ICAMBSLE2

Vantage Vue/Raspberry Pi/weeWx.

With WUnderfixer running every hour as a crontask to pick up any missing records.

Issue:  Over the past two days a number of records are failing to upload to the WU server but are being resent by WUnderfixer.  However, these records are appearing back on the chart about two hours after being resent.  Looking at a number of local stations, they are suffering the same issue but without WUnderfixer the missing records remain as gaps in the chart.  Temporary glitch?

As an aside, I've also noticed that records (on my station at least) are not appearing for 6-10minutes after being uploaded to the WU server, previously this used to be a minute or so.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Nothing changed my end.

Any ideas?

Dave

Offline dave.mccreath

• Wunderground Cambridgeshire UK
« Reply #1027 on: November 03, 2018, 05:14:14 AM »
I'm also seeing wunderfixer picking up quite a few missing readings every night (been uploading pretty good for years). Something is definitely going on.... It has just been the past 3 or days. I can pull logs from my cron job if it helps.

Trebacz

Hi, glad that I'm not alone, are you also running a RPi?  I started noticing the issue on Monday afternoon at about 1400hrs GMT.

If you get a chance sometime can you open a command prompt/terminal window and run 'wunderfixer --query'.  That should ID any missing records from today.  If the query ID's any can you then confirm that you want WUnderfixer to update them.  Give it 20 minutes or so and then repeat to see if the records have been updated (easier to do it in the same command prompt/terminal window as you can then visually compare).

I'm finding that records over 2 to 2.5 hours old are being updated but any within that timeframe are not.  If you are seeing the same issue then it's not my configuration (breaths a sigh of relief) and it's either something at the server end that has changed or the weeWx software interface into the server (but nothing has changed with weeWx as far as I can tell).

Having turned rapidfire on all is still OK at my end.

Regards

Dave
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 05:17:36 AM by dave.mccreath »

Offline Trebacz

• McHenry, Illinois Weather
« Reply #1028 on: November 03, 2018, 12:18:57 PM »
Hi, glad that I'm not alone, are you also running a RPi?  I started noticing the issue on Monday afternoon at about 1400hrs GMT.

Me too (not alone). No I'm actually running wview (ubuntu 16.04) on a full server. No rapid-fire (not available) in wview. My cron job only runs wunderfixer nightly. I have random drop outs with my current 15 minute submissions to WU only. The missed submissions are random across the 24 period. I'll dig a bit deeper and see what I find.

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1029 on: November 04, 2018, 10:24:49 AM »
Not sure if anyone can confirm this, but it looks like the charts are fouled up b/c daylight savings just kicked in? We’re now seeing 48 hour timeline with plotting starting 1 hour prior to 12AM at chart middle and ending 1 hour prior to 12AM at right hand side.

Offline jetspeedz

« Reply #1030 on: November 05, 2018, 06:06:02 PM »
Since WU updated the Android app from 5.8.2 to 5.9x and every iteration of 5.9.x it has not worked since. Multiple people reported this including myself multiple times and not a single response from the WU team.

They essentially released the app without fully testing it on Lollipop and older android OS.

I'm shocked not only they don't respond but they don't seem to care as they have release 4 versions since 5.8.2 and it has not been fixed. Not all devices can upgrade to the latest OS.

Offline ShermanCT

« Reply #1031 on: November 06, 2018, 08:48:19 PM »
This post is directed at the guys from WU.
I am new to this PWS game, however reasonably tech savvy. I have my WS2902 working as it should and reporting to WU.
I want to use one of my IP security cameras to upload images and or video to your site. The issue I have it that my IP cam software will not allow me to enter webcam.wunderground.com
It requires an IP address for the FTP entry.
I know the FTP software in the camera works ok as I upload images and videos on a daily basis to my NAS drive.
My camera make is Amcrest model IP3M-943
Any help greatly appreciated

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #1032 on: November 06, 2018, 09:03:34 PM »
This post is directed at the guys from WU.
I am new to this PWS game, however reasonably tech savvy. I have my WS2902 working as it should and reporting to WU.
I want to use one of my IP security cameras to upload images and or video to your site. The issue I have it that my IP cam software will not allow me to enter webcam.wunderground.com
It requires an IP address for the FTP entry.
I know the FTP software in the camera works ok as I upload images and videos on a daily basis to my NAS drive.
My camera make is Amcrest model IP3M-943
Any help greatly appreciated

I'm not weather underground but the address above is...
Randy

Offline ShermanCT

« Reply #1033 on: November 07, 2018, 08:08:11 AM »
Thanks for that, I am able to manually upload to that IP, but for some reason my camera software won’t connect. Hopefully someone from WU will pitch in here.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #1034 on: November 07, 2018, 08:28:16 AM »
May not get much help if it's camera software issue. I can't even get help when it's WU issues... Good luck

Last time I checked some time ago you were lucky to get a dozen images uploaded each day and reason I stopped sending.

Outside the fact their servers are sporadic at best receiving images ---2 common issues are wrong pass/username and image size restrictions. Also try passive mode its preferred for most servers .

Randy

Offline ShermanCT

« Reply #1035 on: November 07, 2018, 09:22:42 AM »
Thanks again, I’m quickly getting the impression I should give up on this. Maybe try something different for my webcam images.
At least my data is uploading consistently, fingers crossed on that one

Offline ShermanCT

« Reply #1036 on: November 07, 2018, 11:58:08 AM »
Update
it’s working, but I guess the question is how long?
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KCTSHERM11

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #1037 on: November 08, 2018, 08:10:03 AM »
Update

Still working as of this AM; I just checked and your camera image was updated one minute ago. Fingers crossed!
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #1038 on: November 08, 2018, 08:05:55 PM »
Why aren't Acurite stations with a smarthub or Access rapid firing? It's sometimes 5 minutes on every station I check. Mine will RF for a short time, then stop.

Offline CBXSteve

• WU PWS KTXPATTO2
« Reply #1039 on: November 09, 2018, 02:39:00 PM »
Why aren't Acurite stations with a smarthub or Access rapid firing? It's sometimes 5 minutes on every station I check. Mine will RF for a short time, then stop.

Mine too. Started about 2 weeks ago, which was a couple of weeks after the status message feature disappeared.

Offline krispin

« Reply #1040 on: November 09, 2018, 05:24:05 PM »
I have a new Ambient Air 2029A that I have had running for 36 - 48 hours. It was happily feeding data to both Ambient Weather and Weather Underground then it just stopped feeding to Weather Underground at about 11:15 this morning. Ambient is just fine.

I tweaked a couple of the settings on the console right around that time, but otherwise it is the same setup as before.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

cheers,
krispin
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 05:25:56 PM by krispin »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline krispin

« Reply #1042 on: November 09, 2018, 07:27:23 PM »
Everything looks to be ok on my end based on those links

I noticed that the not reporting time keeps getting later and later first it was 11:15 AM then 12:29 now it is 1:24

I am just hoping it just needs to reset itself after changing some settings

cheers,
krispin

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1043 on: November 09, 2018, 07:38:59 PM »
Update your WS-2902A to the latest version. Then factory rest the console. Your issue is not a WU issue. You are having hardware / software issues. This is the wrong sub asking for help on. See the Ambient sub lots of good info there.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=111.0
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #1044 on: November 11, 2018, 09:12:48 AM »
The WU concept of awarding the highly coveted and prestigious “Gold star” to PWSs that meet WU standards (i.e., “passed our quality control process for 5 consecutive days”) appears to have returned after several months of retooling by the WU folks. Yea :grin: :-) !!

To the staff at WU, UU!

See post 1049 above. Like the NFL officials state, “after further review....”
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 09:45:06 AM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline ShermanCT

« Reply #1045 on: November 13, 2018, 01:48:02 PM »
Update
Well, it worked for 4 days, stopped displaying up to date images 23 hours ago and now has gone inactive.
Oh well

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #1046 on: November 15, 2018, 08:50:17 AM »
Looks like it's back. I'm seeing an 11/15 date and an 8:47 (AM...assuming because it's light out) timestamp.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline ShermanCT

« Reply #1047 on: November 15, 2018, 12:44:24 PM »
The IP 54.148.11.148 was down. I changed to 52.37.52.183 and that got it back online. Unfortunately my Amcrest IP cam will only let me set an IP for FTP and not an address such as webcam.underground.com.
All my Amcrest cameras have the same issue, so will probably invest in another camera.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #1048 on: November 16, 2018, 07:28:20 PM »
Apparently I spoke too soon (see my earlier post number 1045). The Goldstar concept still needs work.  ](*,) The goldstar status was removed from one of my two personal weather stations. My stations are both VP2s, about 20 feet apart on the same fence, with essentially identical readings and even share the same anemometer. WU removed the Goldstar status from my newer station (about 6 months old) but not the station that has been there for years.

Update, November 21, 2018–it is worse. When looking at my PWS dashboard page (KILWHEAT36) there is no data at all, let alone a Goldstar. What you see is a “No Data Available" message. Apparently, this is a known WU issue for certain PWSs. I have heard the expression two steps foward three steps backward, but this is like two steps forward and ten steps backwards!  :evil:

Update, December 25, 2018-I recently added a third station to upload to WU, KILWHEAT39. Within hours, that station received a Goldstar but my second station (KILWHEAT36) lost its recently awarded GoldStar. Go figure. To receive a Goldstar, doesn’t WU state the station has to have 5 consecutive days of reporting?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 02:52:38 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1049 on: November 18, 2018, 11:52:22 AM »
ATTENTION WU FIXERS: If you are still in the game...I've got an issue. I haven't any confidence in using support@ so I'll try here. At some point over the night, I lost over 820 data points in my chart details  :shock: starting at 10:31 PST on 11/15. In addition, my station was transitioned to "Off Line"  :roll:.  I am absolutely certain the data was there, as I pay close attention to my station reporting status and would clearly catch an error of that magnitude. I spent the last hour manually pushing the missing data elements via updateweatherstation.php. However in doing so, it refuses to load 10 data points between 2018-11-18 0520 PST and 2018-11-18 0655 PST. I would like to get that sorted with your help. Naturally while doing this little dance my station status has been nullified  ](*,).

Oh, and the Station Status details are MIA as well  #-o  ](*,)

KWAREDMO131
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 11:54:11 AM by rormeister »