Author Topic: Is there a recommended brand?  (Read 4734 times)

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
Is there a recommended brand?
« on: August 12, 2009, 11:16:23 AM »
I'm looking into buying another weather station after a year of using an Acu-Rite weather station that has instruments that are slowly degrading in the New Mexico weather..and it eats up batteries in about a month. Is there a recommended brand out there? And is there a weather station that hooks up wirelessly to any computer with a software on it..specifically less than $300? I have a home network (no server) and would like to port weather info to software on a backroom computer through the network, rather than using another computer that is in the same room as where the weather station will be.
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline offroadjosh

• Davis Vp2 Wireless- VWS 14 P90 Serial Data logger
  • Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
Re: Is there a recommended brand?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 12:23:48 PM »
Well i would say save up a little more and get a davis(you  can get a really good price on ambient for just over $300) So i would suggest doing that. If thats totally out of the question look in to the Oregon Scientific.

Josh
Josh Patten

Davis VP2 Wireless -May 2008
VWS 14.00P90\WL 5.9.9/Plus others!
Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
Smith Valley Fire Dept Firefighter:)
http://josh.northwestwx.com/station/usa.htm
CWOP-DW0711
Kestrel 2000 hand held anemometer
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 12:46:50 PM »
OMG....you asked...THE QUESTION....LOL.....You will find the majority of users here are split between OSR and Davis, both with excellent points. I think for the compactness and support, Davis. However, I am sure to hear in a split second after posting many other opinions...LOL....go to the Ambient page and check each one and decide, what you want to spend, what kind of data you want, etc.

Next question I am sure you will be asking is...."what software should I use ?"

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 12:49:55 PM »
OMG....you asked...THE QUESTION....LOL.....You will find the majority of users here are split between OSR and Davis, both with excellent points. I think for the compactness and support, Davis. However, I am sure to hear in a split second after posting many other opinions...LOL....go to the Ambient page and check each one and decide, what you want to spend, what kind of data you want, etc.

Next question I am sure you will be asking is...."what software should I use ?"

Wow. I'm a n00b and here I am asking "THE QUESTION"  ](*,)  :shock:  8-)  :grin:
I'll check out Ambient. I'm thinking of either selling the current Acu-Rite (see my post in Weather Photography) or handing it down to one of my friends who needs one because he keeps asking me what the temperature outside is.  #-o

Offline TorH

• Forecaster
    • Været på Fauske
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 12:51:12 PM »
I agree with Josh here, a little more and you have a Davis which it's a great station, and i think would cover your needs.
Otherwise you got Oregon S. and also wireless from LaCrosse. You cold check out some here http://www.ambientweather.com/

With the Davis stations (don't know right now if others) you can get the low price on mail from them  ;) Nice prices.
Davis Vantage PRO2 wireless
VWS V14.00 p103, WD ver.10.37N, WL 5.8.2, VVP.
WeatherFlash
DW1549
WeatherUnderground: INORDLAN14
http://bjornli.net                     

Offline offroadjosh

• Davis Vp2 Wireless- VWS 14 P90 Serial Data logger
  • Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 01:18:28 PM »
Just looked at the low price quotes for you.  $396.95 for the wireless base model which i have and totally love!! then $331.95 for the same station except  cabled.(you can make the cables ALOT longer if need be). Then after you have it setup for a little you can get the data logger and hook it to a pc.

here is the OS brand also..

http://www.ambientweather.com/orwmr200.html

http://www.ambientweather.com/orscwmprwece.html

again save up some extra $$$ and get the davis.

Josh
Josh Patten

Davis VP2 Wireless -May 2008
VWS 14.00P90\WL 5.9.9/Plus others!
Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
Smith Valley Fire Dept Firefighter:)
http://josh.northwestwx.com/station/usa.htm
CWOP-DW0711
Kestrel 2000 hand held anemometer
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 01:39:16 PM »
For me, the Davis' much faster update intervals (especially for wind speed) pretty much sealed the deal.  The much longer wireless range helped things a lot.  Got mine on eBay for $380 brand new in box.  However, I do wish I had a FARS.  During hot summer days my temp. reading is 2 degrees too high. 

Good luck...
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 02:10:09 PM »
Chris,
In trying to keep you in your budget, under $300 (and other requirements, connect to pc and wireless)... yes having a Davis would be great.  But keep the following in mind.

low cost quote davis wireless 6152 $396.96  (6152c is cheaper, but you said you wanted wireless)
low cost quote davis datalogger $118.95 (need this to interface with PC)
software $99.95 (most use VWS or WD, there are free and cheaper ones, but these give you most options for web etc out of the box)

So there, you are already at $615.85, more than double your budget.

So if you want a station, and your budget is actually a budget.. you need to decide get it now and start having fun, and someday grow your hobby, or wait till you can double your financing, or charge it  :evil: .

OS has been mentioned, the 200 is close to your budget, but after softare is over it again (mixed reviews over the years). 
I am happy with the OS 968 overall, (and the cheap cost additional sensors). no additional pc interface required $199.95 plus VWS 99.95 (WD ~U$70), you are looking under $299.90.
http://www.ambientweather.com/wmorscwiprwe.html

I also saw you mentioned GR3 in another post, cool toy, another $90 ...   So many options

I know spending more than you can afford is part of obamanomics 101, but its kind of what started the whole credit crunch in the first place, that lead to the R....which lead to ...(and so on...)

Of course happy to see the other members did say to "save" up some more before making the decision...

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 02:15:41 PM »
There's two La Crosse 2317s on ebay brand new really cheap.  One of those for $50 and WUHU would be a good starter station/software.  (Of course, winning the bid for a low price is the only catch)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 02:20:06 PM »
low cost quote davis datalogger $118.95 (need this to interface with PC)
software $99.95 (most use VWS or WD, there are free and cheaper ones, but these give you most options for web etc out of the box)

Andrew, if he gets the datalogger, he would have the Weatherlink software with it which can be used to make a web site.  It isn't fancy, but it works.  Many people still use it for their web sites.  Fancier software can be added at a later date after his coffers are replenished.  :grin:
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 02:27:09 PM »
Sorry Greg was meant to be a joke and more about economics than anything...  figured being Canadian made me apolitical. 

Andrew

This is such a friendly and helpful place, please don't ruin it by bringing politics here.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 03:01:15 PM »
I see your point.  I will take it in the spirit it was intended!   :grin:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 03:04:58 PM »
Chris......just like throwing a big rock in a pond....asking THE QUESTION.....causes alot of ripples almost to the point of tsunami...LOL

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 03:49:38 PM »
Well thank you all. Really. I appreciate it. Looks like I will have to save up if I want the best. My current station does use wireless sensor-to-base communication, but I much prefer wired, and having my dad wire it through the wall or something, seeing as the station knocks the wifi network off the computers  :evil:...but I'll look into the Davis systems.

When I meant wireless, I meant being able to have the station use an ethernet cable directly into the modem, so a computer that is using a wifi card can access the stations recordings wirelessly. I'll have to look and see what's available, and eventually (probably in a few years I'm guessing) I'll replace the station I have. Unless I get a new one for Xmas or something.  :roll:

Thank you guys! 8-)

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 03:53:04 PM »
By the way, is it recommended to put this kind of sensor: in the sun, even with those fins on top? Someone in another forum (I don't remember much about it, but I left it because it was really unorganized.. #-o) said it wouldn't have mattered. It's just in the middle of winter on a sunny day (when the temp in shade is 35f, in the sun it's closer to 60 under a few layers), the sun strikes the sensor, giving me highly inaccurate readings.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 03:55:40 PM »
When I meant wireless, I meant being able to have the station use an ethernet cable directly into the modem, so a computer that is using a wifi card can access the stations recordings wirelessly. I'll have to look and see what's available, and eventually (probably in a few years I'm guessing) I'll replace the station I have. Unless I get a new one for Xmas or something.  :roll:

Thank you guys! 8-)

Isn't that what the IP datalink thing does?
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 04:08:52 PM »
When I meant wireless, I meant being able to have the station use an ethernet cable directly into the modem, so a computer that is using a wifi card can access the stations recordings wirelessly. I'll have to look and see what's available, and eventually (probably in a few years I'm guessing) I'll replace the station I have. Unless I get a new one for Xmas or something.  :roll:

Thank you guys! 8-)

Isn't that what the IP datalink thing does?

Idk? ](*,)
I'm not exactly network saavy. My dad is..I guess I'll ask him.

UPdate: I found a few weather stations that'll hook up directly to a computer. Seeing as that I have a laptop, I guess that will have to do, unless I can convince my parents to allow me to connect it to my living room Media Center PC, so as long as I can install software on it as well.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 04:43:57 PM by Chris H. »

anything