Author Topic: Need a RainWise VWS user to answer a question, please  (Read 2488 times)

Offline trinity

Need a RainWise VWS user to answer a question, please
« on: November 03, 2015, 12:02:46 PM »
I'm considering moving from Davis to RainWise. Currently(have been since V12p?), I use VWS V15-p05 with Davis USB data logger. When I pull down the Communication menu I only see RainWise WS-2000/MKIII listed.

So, my question to a RainWise VWS MKIII user. Is the CC-3000 supported? How about the IP-100?

Thanks,

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Need a RainWise VWS user to answer a question, please
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 12:30:26 PM »
According to Ambient's site, no.  BUt I understand that it is not always up to date.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline trinity

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 01:02:27 PM »
I looked at wiki's, the program, FAQ's, RainWise (they just say look at the manufacturer of the software), read forums and I couldn't find anything, looked in the VWS Manual (mine is dated 2009 can't find a newer version).

From the program it doesn't appear so hence I'm asking an actual user to let me know. To bad RainWise won't commit to comment since they should know and advise potential customers.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 02:56:18 PM »
Richie from Rainwise comments here intermittently.  I know that doesn't help.  If the issue can be resolved from the Rainwise side talking to Lonnie from Rainwise might help. 

A little anecdote: I was speaking to Lonnie about a problem I was having with my Mk III. In casual conversation I suggested that Rainwise should support CWOP.  Lonnie said, yeah, maybe we can look into that.  I thought nothing more of it, but about 6 months later CWOP support was added to their list of partner services.  I doubt my conversation had anything to do with this, but you never know.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 02:58:51 PM by ggsteve »

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 02:56:32 PM »
In case VWS doesn't Weather Display does and  WD does much more the VWS ever will. Eddoesn't seem to do much in upgrading his program compared to what Brian does. So you might look at that program.

John

Offline trinity

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 04:01:47 PM »
I figured out the answer.

The old MKIIICC does talk to VWS. The new CC- 3000 does not.

If I get the the MKIIICC I either have to change software or go the IP-100 route that sends info directly to Wunderground and Rainwise's online display software.

Thanks for the info.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 05:53:49 PM »
I figured out the answer.

The old MKIIICC does talk to VWS. The new CC- 3000 does not.

If I get the the MKIIICC I either have to change software or go the IP-100 route that sends info directly to Wunderground and Rainwise's online display software.

Thanks for the info.

They also send data to AWEKAS, CWOP, PWS and a few others.

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 06:16:47 PM »
fyi...Each CC-3000 is shipped with a free version of Weatherview32 V8 Home Edition. Upgrades are available.  Weathersnoop for Mac is sold separately.

I personally used Weatherview32 for many years.  Its a fine piece of sofware that gives the user lots of flexibility in designing his/her weather website. 

The IP-100 supports 'several' 3rd party weather data banks.  One of which is WU.

Offline WA7FWF

• Contributor
  • Blitzortung 1196
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 10:17:42 PM »
   I always liked VWS and used it for many years then when I upgraded to a LR I specifically asked if they would please add support since it was so easy to do since the command string  barely changed, the answer was one line    NO!

I'm guessing they had a falling out with Rainwise or something...

Anyway I switched over to WD and WDL and it works great!, tons of options but the best part is the support, always quick to fix bugs.  I have used it with both a CC-3000 and with the IP-100 and both work fine.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 08:07:04 AM »
Don't think VWS is being supported at all anymore. Someone posted a while back Ed no longer provides support through email he received directly from Ed. 
Randy