Author Topic: Atlas on Amazon  (Read 10541 times)

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: Atlas on Amazon
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2017, 06:10:36 AM »
I'm not sure I understand why you think it would make it "seriously far away", though.

Small engineering/development team, brand new (to them) radio technology where they apparently aren't just re-hashing the old modules, no Elite info on their staged help files, no QC testing at the Chaney HQ sensor farm, and no hidden re-list on Amazon despite the other Atlas stuff going live and apparently being available for pre-order.  Chaney's core competency is mass consumer products at a retail price point, and the leaked $599 street price (Davis money) is probably not going to sell much further than the participants in this thread.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and still believing that they will ship the Elite *some day*, but my gut feeling from the available evidence is that the product will probably not ship ever given the price tag and niche market.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2017, 07:15:26 AM »
I'm not sure I understand why you think it would make it "seriously far away", though.

Small engineering/development team, brand new (to them) radio technology where they apparently aren't just re-hashing the old modules, no Elite info on their staged help files, no QC testing at the Chaney HQ sensor farm, and no hidden re-list on Amazon despite the other Atlas stuff going live and apparently being available for pre-order.  Chaney's core competency is mass consumer products at a retail price point, and the leaked $599 street price (Davis money) is probably not going to sell much further than the participants in this thread.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and still believing that they will ship the Elite *some day*, but my gut feeling from the available evidence is that the product will probably not ship ever given the price tag and niche market.....

Chaney, Chaney, Chaney....

No one ever talks about who owns Chaney or what expertise and resources they bring to the table.

:grin:

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2017, 09:31:04 AM »
"....the leaked $599 street price (Davis money) is probably not going to sell much further than the participants in this thread....."

If ever the Elite is as solidly built as Davis, has modern, accurate, prosumer level data displays, and prosumer level methods to acquire and display data on one's own computer without convoluted and problematic workarounds, I then think participants in this thread and others will be willing to invest $600. (I'm probably missing some important items on this punch list). For every item above not accomplished, deduct $50 from the Amazon price and/or deduct a percentage of sales to serious hobbyists.

That said, I presume that most here are rooting for Chaney (aka Acurite) to succeed in their endeavor and shake up the pws market and give Davis some serious competition.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:36:56 AM by BeaverMeadow »

Offline dhageremtp

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2017, 11:59:32 AM »
that is part of the reason I have stayed away from Davis. I like the nerd side of the weather station, I like the data, the graphs etc. my wife and kids just want a nice looking display on the wall they can read the current temp, rain, and wind speed along with wind chill in the winter. 

If davis could make a better display that is more user friendly and aesthetically pleasing I would fork out the money.

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2017, 01:24:59 PM »
I wonder if Acurite will exhibit at CES 2018 which is less than 6 weeks away. Last I looked on the confirmed exhibitor list they weren't listed, but that list was still pretty short. Since they announced the Atlas at CES 2017 and haven't delivered a year later, do they re-announce it at CES 2018 like it is a brand new idea? Do they drop the Elite and just promote the 7/8 series as shown in the Amazon listings? Do they pretend the Atlas was never mentioned in the first place and announce something completely new? It will be interesting to see what they do.

Correction: Acurite is listed as a CES 2018 exhibitor: Booth: Sands, Halls A-D - 40961 (Smart Home Marketplace)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 01:48:14 PM by alanb »
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2017, 06:38:38 PM »
I wonder if Acurite will exhibit at CES 2018 which is less than 6 weeks away. Last I looked on the confirmed exhibitor list they weren't listed, but that list was still pretty short. Since they announced the Atlas at CES 2017 and haven't delivered a year later, do they re-announce it at CES 2018 like it is a brand new idea? Do they drop the Elite and just promote the 7/8 series as shown in the Amazon listings? Do they pretend the Atlas was never mentioned in the first place and announce something completely new? It will be interesting to see what they do.

Correction: Acurite is listed as a CES 2018 exhibitor: Booth: Sands, Halls A-D - 40961 (Smart Home Marketplace)

The most likely scenario that you forgot:

They'll show the Atlas and Atlas Elite as companies would normally show their products at a trade show.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2017, 07:28:28 PM »
If davis could make a better display that is more user friendly and aesthetically pleasing I would fork out the money.

Can you afford $49 for a full color 7" touchscreen weather console?

Think outside the ancient weather console and outdoor sensors layout box!  China is already mass-producing generic presentation layer devices at a price point that no PWS manufacturer could hit on their niche sales, just add the available web-based WX software and of course some double-faced tape to stick it to the wall.

As for who owns Chaney, a better question is what good has come from IBM's ownership of WU?????

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2017, 08:50:03 PM »
 :roll: It still astounds me how folks want to buy a scientific instrument and care more about how it looks than performs. I'll be sticking with my accurate, reliable, boring, ten year old Davis.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2017, 08:52:42 PM »
:roll: It still astounds me how folks want to buy a scientific instrument and care more about how it looks than performs. I'll be sticking with my accurate, reliable, boring, ten year old Davis.
+1
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2017, 08:37:08 AM »
Different degrees of users. Some people want a lot of very accurate data and aren't worried about presentation. Other people want data that's laid out in an aesthetically pleasing way.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2017, 09:35:29 AM »
Different degrees of users. Some people want a lot of very accurate data and aren't worried about presentation. Other people want data that's laid out in an aesthetically pleasing way.

Pretty much that.  I suspect that the lion's share of Davis income comes from business and research users who don't care so much what it looks like.

Offline dhageremtp

« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2017, 12:09:41 PM »

Are you married?  so of us have to live with the WAF (wife approval factor) as well...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 02:06:19 PM by dhageremtp »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2017, 02:13:22 PM »

Are you married?  so of us have to live with the WAF (wife approval factor) as well...
I get that. What so hideous about this compared to whatever? https://sep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-37697109791737_2270_271224656

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2017, 02:26:07 PM »

I get that. What so hideous about this compared to whatever? https://sep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-37697109791737_2270_271224656

Looks like a controller out of my dad's old combine circa 1990.

Hey. you asked!  :lol:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2017, 02:43:23 PM »

Must be me then. I still very happily use a 40 year old turntable to play my 40 year old records too, and damn does it sound good.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2017, 03:26:30 PM »

I was going to say that it looked like my father's weather station in 1990, but it wouldn't be a joke and was also made by Davis.

Back in the summer, I was 100% ready to pull the trigger and buy a Davis station when my 5-in-1 was going through one of its random address change fits every few days.  The show-stopper *was* the console, not for aesthetics reasons but rather because it was more or less required to pry the data out of the sensors without having to sell an organ or take a second mortgage out.  All of the third party data options were on month-long backorder at the time, so I just toughed it out and waited until the sunspot cycle or whatever was whacking out the 5-in-1 stopped.

Davis and I have bad blood going back to the early 1990's, when I was working for a non-profit organization and they charged us more than one of their stations costs today for the serial port API documentation on a photocopied page along with a floppy with some useless MS-DOS sample code.  They made my employer sign an NDA as part of the purchase order, that not only blocked giving way the API info but also wouldn't allow us to give away the code that we developed.  It doesn't look like things have gotten any better with them 25 years later.....

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2017, 04:33:04 PM »

I could just picture how that conversation would go down in a typical household:

Husband: "Check out my new weather station! Look at all the data!"

Wife: "You paid $600+. Why does the display look like a digital watch from 1987?"

:lol:
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2017, 04:39:41 PM »

I could just picture how that conversation would go down in a typical household:

Husband: "Check out my new weather station! Look at all the data!"

Wife: "You paid $600+. Why does the display look like a digital watch from 1987?"

:lol:
Evidently I live in an atypical household. :roll:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2017, 05:37:08 PM »
]Evidently I live in an atypical household. :roll:

Do you do wash your clothes in the kitchen?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2017, 05:49:07 PM »
]Evidently I live in an atypical household. :roll:

Do you do wash your clothes in the kitchen?
Ha ha. However my machine is 20 years old. Does that make me a bad person, or just a smelly one?  :-"

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2017, 06:15:58 PM »

Nothing wrong with that. I have 2 HD Displays but I like my VP2 Display more. It has really grown on me in a big way. I also like the Vu Meters on my Audio equipment along with my Analog Chronometer Watch. Then again if I want color data from Davis, I just look at the WL or Cumulus on my Laptop 8-)...........................
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 06:18:03 PM by benay ra'am »

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80