Author Topic: Dr. Greg Forbes  (Read 16999 times)

Offline weather9

• Akers Weather
Dr. Greg Forbes
« on: May 01, 2010, 07:58:29 PM »
Does the man ever sleep? He's on it. Buy that man a cup of coffee and give him a big Bravo Zulu for a job well done.
KSCBENNE4/CW6106
VP2 w/ 24hr FARS and solar, XP sp3
VWS 14.01 p31
Regards,
Steve

"To hear, one has only to listen"

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Re: Dr. Greg Forbes
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
  He is the only redeeming quality at the WC!!  I like to watch his analysis of storms.  I wish he was on all the time!!

Offline weather9

• Akers Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 09:59:48 PM »
I agree. and now they show movies on TWC...NBC ruined TWC...
KSCBENNE4/CW6106
VWS 14.01 p31
Regards,
Steve

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 08:36:52 AM »
I like watching him. Probably as knowledgeable as they come regarding severe weather
Tony

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 08:40:49 AM »
Then there's the other guy.  The Hurricane guy.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 09:52:44 AM »
Then there's the other guy.  The Hurricane guy.

I think Steve Lyons is his name?  But I don't see him listed.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline weather9

• Akers Weather
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 09:57:07 AM »
Steve Lyons is the man for tropical weather. I dont think they will ever have a John Hope again, but I like Lyons. I think he and Forbes are real meteorologists, not just camera hounds. I think there are probably some good meteos in the background as well. They used to advertise that they employed 100 meteorologists. Of course, if you get on camera, and your female, at TWC, you will be pregnant in a very short time. I know the ones in front of the camera are meteorologists, but I think they might have had a push in journalism more so than meteo.
KSCBENNE4/CW6106
VWS 14.01 p31
Regards,
Steve

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 05:50:19 PM »
Forbes is great, but he has GOT to ditch that stupid "Torcon" forecast. It's one of those things that is ultimately pointless. Here is a great example. Our local weather has a similar thing on their radar. During the tornado that was striking Ashland, Mississippi this morning (and was being reported on the ground) our meteorologist, Jennifer Watson (fantastic talent who was on duty from 11am Saturday through 4am Sunday) told everybody to flat out ignore the "impact value" (which was only at 4) because she stated that there was a tornado on the ground doing damage.

People are inherently stupid. If you tell them there is only a 40% chance of tornadoes or whatever you're going to make it more likely that most won't take tornado warnings seriously. But if you say "these storms could produce tornadoes" and leave it at that, you have a higher likelihood that these people might decide to go to a storm house or basement if a warning is issued.

Offline weather9

• Akers Weather
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 06:30:26 PM »
Agree completely. Like telling someone that it is partially dangerous. I think they should stay with what the Storm Prediction Center criteria are, and to me they will be much more credible.
KSCBENNE4/CW6106
VWS 14.01 p31
Regards,
Steve

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 06:45:32 PM »
You guys do know Steve Lyons has left TWC.
http://press.weather.com/press_detail.asp?id=293

Offline weather9

• Akers Weather
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 07:35:53 PM »
Didnt know that...Lyons probably wanted to get back to nuts and bolts meteorology.
KSCBENNE4/CW6106
VWS 14.01 p31
Regards,
Steve

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
I do like Forbes, but TORCON needs to stop.  I doubt that was his idea, but more of a market ploy pushed on him.  It makes him a little silly actually. Other then that though I have great respect for the man and I do enjoy his analysis.  I'd love to shadow him for an outbreak or two.
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 08:16:42 PM »
It's kinda sad that Lyons left... didnt know that.... Forbes is phenomenal, and I think Cantore is decent... Bill Keenely seems to be a geo beast too... when describing where rain is, he dosent just use the towns on the weather map :lol:
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline weather9

• Akers Weather
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 06:41:49 PM »
Its good to see someone comfortable up there..Heather Tesh is nice to look at, but it seems she is struggling for her words on whatever she wishes to say or is having trouble reading the teleprompter. But she is nice to look at.. :-P
KSCBENNE4/CW6106
VWS 14.01 p31
Regards,
Steve

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 06:55:14 PM »
I truly believe that TWC is in a slump at the moment.... I kind of dislike the "Weather on the 8s" because for every 10 minutes, 3 are commercial. :shock:
Joe Fitzwater

Offline westernks

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 01:14:05 PM »
I think Dr. Greg Forbes is one of if not the best severe weather expert out there. Jim Cantore is a good guy I met him a few years ago here in KS during a severe weather outbreak. Think it was around the Greensburg tornado time frame. Greensburg has really come a long way since the tornado. I have pictures if anyone is interested . It's located 90 miles south of my home.

Offline scottm

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 06:41:18 PM »
I've noticed he's loving the "storm slice" feature on GR2  :)

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 06:56:44 PM »
I think that the NBC promotion has slit TWC in the throat. "Wake Up With Al"? Come on people, most people that watch TWC dont watch to see what the temp is going to be at dinnertime; we want to see severe weather that is occurring around the nation, or good quality forecasts so that we can predict and see when interesting weather is on the horizon.

PS: I would like to see some Greensburg, Kansas photos, and some of Parkersburg, if u wouldnt mind sharing   :grin:
Joe Fitzwater

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 12:14:04 PM »
Steve Lyons is the man for tropical weather. I dont think they will ever have a John Hope again, but I like Lyons. I think he and Forbes are real meteorologists, not just camera hounds. I think there are probably some good meteos in the background as well. They used to advertise that they employed 100 meteorologists. Of course, if you get on camera, and your female, at TWC, you will be pregnant in a very short time. I know the ones in front of the camera are meteorologists, but I think they might have had a push in journalism more so than meteo.
Hope's son is a teacher at my school.

Offline onoeric

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 04:17:12 AM »
I know this thread is old, but I must set things straight here for anyone who happens upon it, as the previous information regarding torcon is misrepresented to say the least.

Torcon does most certainly NOT need to go. It is quite useful IF you understand what it means. A value of 4 is nothing to shrug off. Although it may seem somewhat common when severe weather is expected, you need to be aware and alert of changing conditions when this value is given. Now if it's a value of 2 or less, you can lower your guard unless you hear something brewing outside. During the tornado outbreak of April 2011, Dr. Forbes gave values of 9 across many states, prompting me to make a 3 hour drive to my most sturdy house--and it was well worth it. Do not rely solely on this number for forecasting, but rather take it as an estimate of the likely-hood that a severe thunderstorm may produce a tornado warning, and if a warning is issued do not ignore it--take cover immediately until the storm has completely passed.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 04:22:18 AM by onoeric »

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 11:26:13 AM »
   I happen to agree that the "Torcon" is a good tool for the general public for knowing that a tornado is say a 30% or 70% possibility withing 50 miles.  It is not that much different from what the SPC has in their "fixed" and "effective" tornado parameters.  And, I always give Dr. Forbes the benefit of his expertise in severe weather and in his professionalism.
   But because someone disagrees doesn't mean they can't think or are not worthy of respect.  There a many people here and many opinions. That makes the forum interesting.

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 12:55:50 PM »
I know this thread is old, but I must set things straight here for anyone who happens upon it, as the previous information regarding torcon is misrepresented to say the least.

Torcon does most certainly NOT need to go. It is quite useful IF you understand what it means. A value of 4 is nothing to shrug off. Although it may seem somewhat common when severe weather is expected, you need to be aware and alert of changing conditions when this value is given. Now if it's a value of 2 or less, you can lower your guard unless you hear something brewing outside. During the tornado outbreak of April 2011, Dr. Forbes gave values of 9 across many states, prompting me to make a 3 hour drive to my most sturdy house--and it was well worth it. Do not rely solely on this number for forecasting, but rather take it as an estimate of the likely-hood that a severe thunderstorm may produce a tornado warning, and if a warning is issued do not ignore it--take cover immediately until the storm has completely passed.

I'm quite frankly insulted that you would imply I don't like torcon simply because I don't understand it.  I'm a meteorologist who has a very deep understand of the weather and his torcon index is quit simple to understand.  Parameters like the sig tor index, soundings, hodographs, etc as well as pure forecasting knowledge of cape, helicity, and general knowledge of what is needed to produce tornadoes are much more useful then some gimmicky 1-10 scale.   

His torcon index is a bit inflated too because he's using the 50 mile scale vs the NWS 25 mile scale.  It insures higher probs on outbreak days which makes for better TV because you can rile more people up with doom and gloom scenarios and it makes for a better hit rate.  Also torcon gives no indication of strength just number.  9/10 is just a probability but with the SPC you not only get a probability say 30% but also a strength with non hatched being non significant tornadoes and hatched being significant. 

I think private Met firms like TWC, and Accuweather are approaching some dangerous ground here with these sort of things.  This year we saw Accuweather issuing their own tornado warnings.  I doubt it's long before the weather channel does the same.  Especially if it can draw in some viewers and get them some eye witness accounts to interview. 
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 04:36:10 PM »
Oh so THIS is the thread that got me that really ugly private message. (I am 30 years old by the way, not sixteen or less...and I have studied meteorology and severe weather in one form or another for the last 25 years.)

Now, for the torcon and all other indicators of this nature, if onoeric had bothered to actually UNDERSTAND what I said about the torcon index he would see where I find flaws in it and why I do not like it.

But, let me break this down further. The idea behind it is good in theory. You are giving people a heads up on tornado possibilities and that's a good thing...in theory. However, as I said, people are inherently stupid when it comes to the weather. I have no problem saying that again because it is generally true.

Perhaps "ignorant" is a better way to put it, but the bottom line is 75% of the general public understands the weather only in its most basic forms. They want to hear good news when it comes to the weather. They do not want to be bothered with the weather. They want to know that it is not going to do anything that will interfere with their favorite television programs or their sleep patterns. Therefore, if they get even a hint that a meteorologist has said it is not going to do anything, then most people will grasp onto that for all it is worth and ignore everything else that the weather man tells them.

When it comes to tornado index values that more and more meteorologists are using these days, you are giving people way too much rope to hang themselves with. If someone says "there is a 4 out of 10 chance" then you are basically telling them that there is a 60% chance tornadoes will not happen. That is what they will run with.

If there is even a 1 out of 10 chance then it needs to be taken deathly serious because even a single tornado can take a person's life, and that is not a chance people need to be putting percentages on. The best case of action when it comes to forecasting severe weather is to always say "there is also a chance we could see some tornadoes, so it is best to keep your guard up." Always better safe than sorry.

And more and more I am seeing where meteorologists are having to say "ignore those ratings" because as the blasted rating is on the screen, you hear the meteorologist say "we see the hook echo plain as day" or "we have confirmed reports from law enforcement of damage in that vicinity."

That is why I am against index values of that nature. I am not stupid. I am not ignorant. I do understand perfectly well how they operate and what they mean. And I also understand that people have to have severe weather reports put right in front of them in blunt language so they understand these are not storms to be trifled with in any fashion.

"There is a 4 out of 10 chance of tornadoes in a 50 mile radius" doesn't sound that threatening to most people.

"There is a fairly good chance that folks in the forecast area could see a few tornadoes" gets the point across a LOT better.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 07:27:50 PM »
Great points Hailhunter, I totally agree with you  =D> =D> 8-)
Joe Fitzwater

Offline onoeric

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, 06:42:54 PM »
I'm quite frankly insulted that you would imply I don't like torcon simply because I don't understand it.  I'm a meteorologist who has a very deep understand of the weather and his torcon index is quit simple to understand.

If you understand torcon (or better more, a few of the principles that it constitutes) then you certainly should not feel insulted by my comment.

I mostly agree with HailHunter's reply. Where our opinions differ is a matter of language. If people choose to be, "ignorant" as you put it, then it's not going to matter if you give them an acute estimation or an obtuse generalization. What is important is that people take weather warnings seriously and not assume that it will not pertain to them. The only way to encourage this is through education, not in further generalization.

anything