Author Topic: Is ObserverIP and meteobridge the only option?  (Read 917 times)

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
Is ObserverIP and meteobridge the only option?
« on: December 31, 2018, 02:38:23 AM »
Opened the WS-2902A on Christmas and am learning that the data isn't mine as much as I would have preferred, but is instead under the absolute control of Ambient Weather. For example, I'm not allowed to delete data and start over, the data that I send is immediately decimated, gets further decimated after 30 days, gets completely purged after a year, all of which is housed on what apparently is turning out to be a bit of a dodgey IBM server that has yet to have its issues of reliability fully resolved.

Don't misunderstand, I really am enjoying learning about all of this and it's wonderful being able to see the readings of our local conditions. I love it and think that Ambient Weather is a great equipment supplier.

I'm just wondering what options are available that don't require me to be running a PC 24/7, will facilitate automated remote service submissions to places for qualitative analysis like CWOP, and to have more of a role in the stewardship of the collected data.

Offline StephenR0

Re: Is ObserverIP and meteobridge the only option?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 07:24:09 AM »
You may have missed this option.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35494.0

:-)

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 08:17:29 AM »
Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your reply. I was hoping you would comment, and yes, I've read through that thread a number of times and am a little less intimidated with each reading. There is much discussed that is unfamiliar to me, but even before embarrassing myself further in that regard, I have to confess my naivete in thinking that the sensor data was accessible to me without limitations and able to be archived locally, should that be something desirable.

I'm not sure how data is sent to Weathercloud, Weather Underground, and PWS Weather; e.g., is it sent directly from my display console to those sites, or is the data being relayed to them from AmbientWeather.net? Is Ambient the gatekeeper?

If I'm understanding your radio project correctly, data transmitted (@ 915MHz) from the outdoor array is what is being received, bypassing the display console altogether, and the Raspberry pi then is relaying the sensor data (@ 2.4GHz?) - is this understanding correct?

Offline StephenR0

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 09:44:49 AM »
I'm not sure how data is sent to Weathercloud, Weather Underground, and PWS Weather; e.g., is it sent directly from my display console to those sites, or is the data being relayed to them from AmbientWeather.net? Is Ambient the gatekeeper?

The answer to your questions is "yes".  :-)  You can configure the console to send data to Weather Underground and other options.  In that case, Ambient isn't in the middle of the process.  Or you can configure ambientweather.net to forward the data to other services as well.  Actually, I have no experience with either option.  I have my console send data to ambientweather.net and that's all.  I'm mostly interested my own data.

If I'm understanding your radio project correctly, data transmitted (@ 915MHz) from the outdoor array is what is being received, bypassing the display console altogether, and the Raspberry pi then is relaying the sensor data (@ 2.4GHz?) - is this understanding correct?

Yes, you have it right.  The only extra thing is that the console collects inside temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure.  To capture that data with the Raspberry Pi, you need some other way to get this data.  I use a WH25 which broadcasts on 915Mhz as well.  I understand that Weewx can forward the data to various web sites.  I have not explored those options, though.

There is another option for collecting the data.  If you are forwarding your data to Weather Underground, you can intercept that data and feed it to Weewx.  Here is a link that describes that.

https://github.com/matthewwall/weewx-interceptor

This option may require a deeper knowledge of networking, however.

You know, you don't have to lure me into responding to a post.  :-)  You're welcome to PM me with any questions you may have.  Or we can have a thread to document the journey if you like.

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 09:55:12 AM »
Could you alternatively "dial in" the raspi radio to the display console's transmission (@ 2.4GHz) intended for the WiFi router instead of the sensor array's transmission?

Offline StephenR0

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 10:30:59 AM »
I suppose that could be theoretically possible.  But I suspect the interceptor option is much easier.

Offline relko

• Astrogenic Systems
    • Astrogenic Systems
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 01:26:36 PM »
Also see this post which is a WiFi based plug-and-play option: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35103.0

As an example use case; Right now I am logging all my weather data on a BeagleBone Black over UDP on my local network while simultaneously also logging the same data on my web space. The latter is used for various online visualizations like the graphical sticker in my footer. The original weather data is also being uploaded unmodified and uninterrupted to WU, WOW and WeatherCloud.

First stage beta tests are currently being evaluated, there were some issues with the initial microcontroller firmware that went out to people so soon I will need a few additional beta testers to try out the revised version. If interested you are welcome to PM or email me.

anything