Author Topic: "Self Built"sites  (Read 24197 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: "Self Built"sites
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2016, 01:29:43 PM »
As always, it is a work in progress, but it has generated substantial traffic in the area. Check it out and please feel free to critique NC Weather Happens
ncwxhappens.com

Your site doesn´t like the Czech Republic :D :D :D

"Access from your area has been temporarily limited for security reasons".

Offline crazyhorse

• NC Weather Happens
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2016, 01:38:24 PM »
  #-o I can fix that...

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2016, 04:11:47 PM »
I also get this message
Your access to this site has been limited Your access to this service has been temporarily limited. Please try again in a few minutes. (HTTP response code 503)
Reason: Access from your area has been temporarily limited for security reasons
Important note for site admins: If you are the administrator of this website note that your access has been limited because you broke one of the Wordfence firewall rules. The reason your access was limited is: "Access from your area has been temporarily limited for security reasons".

If this is a false positive, meaning that your access to your own site has been limited incorrectly, then you will need to regain access to your site, go to the Wordfence "options" page, go to the section for Rate Limiting Rules and disable the rule that caused you to be blocked. For example, if you were blocked because it was detected that you are a fake Google crawler, then disable the rule that blocks fake google crawlers. Or if you were blocked because you were accessing your site too quickly, then increase the number of accesses allowed per minute.

If you're still having trouble, then simply disable the Wordfence firewall and you will still benefit from the other security features that Wordfence provides.

If you are a site administrator and have been accidentally locked out, please enter your email in the box below and click "Send". If the email address you enter belongs to a known site administrator or someone set to receive Wordfence alerts, we will send you an email to help you regain access. Please read this FAQ entry if this does not work.

Paul

Offline crazyhorse

• NC Weather Happens
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2016, 04:34:59 PM »
Ahh. I see now. unfortunately, the site is restricted to US domains. I was getting hacked from all over the world and had to trim it down. Sorry guys.  :-(

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2016, 05:27:54 PM »
the site is restricted to US domains

tsss... Im surprised you dont tolerate even Canada :D

I got an idea.... how about I restrict meteotemplate.com to Czech users :D :D :D What do you think guys :D

Offline crazyhorse

• NC Weather Happens
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2016, 05:41:46 PM »
Only if you are getting hacked every 10 minuted from the US... :lol: I wish I could open it up more. :-(

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2016, 05:44:44 PM »
What do you mean by "hacked".

You should get a list of the most common bots, there was just one thread about this recently, and use this rather than globally cut off everyone. Not to mention that I dont see a reason why you couldnt get "hacked" from the U.S. as well.. there are many nasty bots from your country too, I would say probably many more than from my country given its síze and number of users :D

Offline crazyhorse

• NC Weather Happens
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2016, 05:50:25 PM »
I wish these were bots.... I run a rather beefy server and multiple attempts to bypass my firewall were attempted. I won't discuss security of course, but I had to essentially cut off the world outside of the US. I still get some mal attempts here and there, but earlier this year it was incredible with literally millions of attempts and one intrusion which shut me down. I't been pretty smooth with the new security... By "shut down" I mean my server was zombied and even my ISP had trouble clearing it up. I hope you understand. Weather should be available to everyone everywhere but some people make it difficult.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2016, 05:55:28 PM »
Thats strange, I wonder what made your site so attractive for someone to try to hack... I mean I can understand it in case of websites where hacking it can generate some profit, but weather hobbyist website?

Offline crazyhorse

• NC Weather Happens
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2016, 06:01:05 PM »
As an IT dude, it's not the content of the site...it is the infrastructure it is on. They look for memory and cpu with high traffic. It's ugly out there.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2016, 06:15:34 PM »
I understand

Well fortunately there are ways of bypassing that :D

Your site looks nice, maybe the homepage is a bit confusing (I would try to separate more the main content and maybe make the headings larger), but otherwise it is very nice and lot of info.

Offline crazyhorse

• NC Weather Happens
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2016, 06:51:05 PM »
Thanks! I'll give it a second look and format accordingly.

Offline PatrickK64

• Kennewick-Zintel Canyon Weather Page
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2016, 02:22:31 AM »
Hey guys.  I know this is a fairly dated thread, but I thought I'd toss my hat in for critique.  :-)
After all, you asked for self-build sites.  This one certainly meets that criteria.

www.familylegacy.us/wx/lakewood_wa.shtml

It's actually rather "old school" in the backend since I use a lot of HTML frames and the like.  But, if you look at the HTML source, I started to include CSS.  Work in Progress is an understatement!
I started writing the code in 1993 when I got a computer and immediately decided that I wanted to learn scripting.
It was originally a lab project for learning PERL and HTML, which I then converted to PHP3.

Now, it's quite a mish-mash of different scripts that I've borrowed, and I've cycled through a bunch image files that I acquired over the last 20+ years.

The wind indicator is built with Slickboard by Maani.us.  Everything else is, well, just hacks.

Oh yeah, my station is a Davis VP on a Meteobridge which FTP's XML every minute, but the Flash wind gauge pulls XML every 3-5 seconds.
I'd love to convert the Flash over to HTML Canvas or whatever would be best, but that thing called time really puts a damper on things nowadays.  :-)

-Pat
MADIS: AT119, Wunderground: KWAKENNE154

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2016, 02:51:49 AM »
Hey guys.  I know this is a fairly dated thread, but I thought I'd toss my hat in for critique.  :-)
After all, you asked for self-build sites.  This one certainly meets that criteria.

www.familylegacy.us/wx/lakewood_wa.shtml

I like it, especially sites like this!  Nice and simple to look at and easy to navigate around.  Thanks for sharing!

(I see you're also linking to one of my friends sites, wxscout.com...very cool!)
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline PatrickK64

• Kennewick-Zintel Canyon Weather Page
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2016, 01:58:33 PM »
Thanks a lot.

Are you Scott?  We've chatted a bit on the WxSpots app in the past.
(I need to get that re-installed. Had a PC crash and I'm still getting that back up and running.)

-P
MADIS: AT119, Wunderground: KWAKENNE154

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2016, 04:31:30 PM »
Thanks a lot.

Are you Scott?  We've chatted a bit on the WxSpots app in the past.
(I need to get that re-installed. Had a PC crash and I'm still getting that back up and running.)

-P

Yes, that's me...not the same Scott who built WxSpots, but the same Scott who now runs the server.

Offline MuellerWX

• Mueller Weather
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2016, 09:03:46 PM »
I'm a newbie to the forum but not to the weather. Here is my self-built site: www.muellerweather.com

The site is built with Blogger and uses various widgets and html to present the weather for the local area. Check it out.

Offline wcrowder

• Crowderfarm
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2016, 07:20:31 PM »
Looks good! Now look into bootstrap and make it responsive! :)

http://crowderfarm.com/weather.php
http://www.crowderfarm.com
Just playing around, work in progress. :)

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2016, 12:02:31 AM »

Looks good!  I like how you used the scripts to make your own site.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2016, 09:41:36 PM »
Mine is self built at http://stillwaterweather.com.  The point of the design is to go wide and view the most desired weather info without need to scroll.   If the page doesn't look right from columns being too wide or middle column overlapping, then go here to find out the trick to make it look right:  http://stillwaterweather.com/howitshouldlook.php

« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 09:55:34 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2016, 01:26:17 PM »
Hi,
I looked at your site from 2 devices and always saw just overlapping "mess".

Please take this only as a suggestion, I am not saying you should change it, but just think about it:

You are suggesting to press ctrl and zoom out the page. That surely "solves the problem", but...
Your goal was to have everything on one page without having to scroll. With pressing the CTRL key and then "scrolling" with the mousewheel, you are not saving the user any "work". But most importantly, you have to remember that the default zoom is the font size that is best for the user to read. If I zoom it out then yes, I do see the page like you want me to see it, but it is more or less useless. The font is so small that I have problems reading anything. And I cannot go back to the normal size because then everything is overlapping, so you are not giving me a choice.

There are several options how to really solve this.

First, probably the best, but also most difficult one in terms of coding, would be making it fully responsive by using various layouts based on user screen width. In other words adjust for example the number of columns and on smaller screens put the elements on top of each other rather than next to each other. This can be achieved by CSS and some Javascript and there are frameworks to make this easier for you such as Bootstrap.

The other option would be not using absolute positioning and use percentages for widths and for font sizes. And also make sure that the ideal view is on some relatively common monitor size. Do not make it look good just on the best HD monitor with HD resolution. Many people dont have that. If you make it look good on a smaller monitor, it will be usable on a wider one too, but not the other way around.

Only a suggestion :)

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
    • Long Island New York Weather
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2016, 08:49:30 PM »
As always, it is a work in progress, but it has generated substantial traffic in the area. Check it out and please feel free to critique NC Weather Happens
ncwxhappens.com

I think it's a pretty clean and well designed site.  I like how it is kind of "blog-like" and has substantial information.  I really like the windyty displayed right on the main page.  I always think that attracts people to look at it since it looks "cool" and non-weather geeks tend to like it.

Jeff

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
    • Long Island New York Weather
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2016, 08:51:24 PM »

Very clean.  Nice job!

Jeff

Offline sheldon

• Roma EUR Meteo
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2016, 06:00:48 AM »
This is my website, made in PHP, with self written code. There are no weatherlink IP templates, this is why I needed to make it by myself.
http://www.romaeurmeteo.it/
My weather Station in Rome:
http://www.romaeurmeteo.it/

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2016, 12:46:52 PM »
I designed http://somdweather.com from scratch many years ago. Constant updates/improvements via users requests.

Jim