Author Topic: Are we getting too soft?  (Read 3975 times)

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
Re: Are we getting too soft?
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2018, 02:51:36 PM »
Shoot, those guys would've had that in the woodshed before dark!!!!!

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2018, 02:54:31 PM »
As for the A/C in Florida.  Look at census reports and when A/C units came on the market for the general population...air-conditioners and people arrived in south Florida about the same time.   :-k

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2018, 04:47:22 PM »
I would add as a contributing factor for the need to AC a modern house/building is the change in building philosophies, where everything now has to be buttoned up so air-tight that people could suffocate inside.  In the pre-electricity days, houses were designed to naturally ventilate themselves.  I was in an old mansion once, and they had interior hinged windows at the top of every wall that could be adjusted to allow airflow between rooms.  No AC, and it was bearable inside during a warm summer day thanks to simple convection.

Ironically, I just finished putting the finishing touches on a DIY central air installation today.  On a hot day, the whole house is only using 0.85 kWh per hour with dew forming outside on the double-pane windows.  :twisted:  The unit that I chose also had the heat pump feature as a $100 add-on, which seemed like cheap insurance even if only as a backup to the hot water oil boiler.  I would never have considered a heat pump in place of a traditional boiler/furnace, but will let the system run during the fall to see if I can project winter electric power costs versus running the oil boiler.  Supposedly, it should be 2.0-2.5 times the cooling cost to heat with it.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2018, 05:10:46 PM »
I would add as a contributing factor for the need to AC a modern house/building is the change in building philosophies, where everything now has to be buttoned up so air-tight that people could suffocate inside.  In the pre-electricity days, houses were designed to naturally ventilate themselves.  I was in an old mansion once, and they had interior hinged windows at the top of every wall that could be adjusted to allow airflow between rooms.  No AC, and it was bearable inside during a warm summer day thanks to simple convection.

Ironically, I just finished putting the finishing touches on a DIY central air installation today.  On a hot day, the whole house is only using 0.85 kWh per hour with dew forming outside on the double-pane windows.  :twisted:  The unit that I chose also had the heat pump feature as a $100 add-on, which seemed like cheap insurance even if only as a backup to the hot water oil boiler.  I would never have considered a heat pump in place of a traditional boiler/furnace, but will let the system run during the fall to see if I can project winter electric power costs versus running the oil boiler.  Supposedly, it should be 2.0-2.5 times the cooling cost to heat with it.....
I hadn't remembered seeing those interior windows in my grandparents home in Illinois until you mentioned them...thanks for the Nostalgia!
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

anything