Author Topic: Daily Evaporation Rates?  (Read 1972 times)

Offline pertman

• Data on Wunderground
Daily Evaporation Rates?
« on: June 05, 2019, 05:37:15 PM »
Does anybody know of a site that provides daily, location-based, evaporation rates? I have done some searches and only find summary, monthly or yearly data.

Many thanks,

Peter

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 07:09:37 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: Daily Evaporation Rates?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 07:24:43 PM »
The gizmo that helps simulate leaves and colors and all looks interesting, and might have been helpful when we were farming and irrigating in Central Wisconsin, but a bit pricey to just play with.

How does the readings these generate (Mike, do you have one?) compare to say Weather Display's estimate of evapotranspiration that shows up on it's screen?

I'd wonder if someone were doing the precise measurements and had a setup that calculates it, do the plots correlate pretty well?
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 09:33:07 PM »
Yes I have one of the first deployed, summer of 2012

First it's important to understand the principle, and the reasurement method.  This Atmometer measures Reference ET ETo using cut gras simulation. not alfalfa crop simulation or other measurements or computations. follow rinks and other information on the CoCoRaHs website, etc... .The Data is quite valuable, applied as intended, as per type data.

I know quickly, for example, if I need to water my very thin lawn... heh... and it's saved me literally hundreds in unnecassary watering... I guarantee it.  I can't imagine what it saves for large scale farming, etc, since it basically measures what growing plants "transpire'., rather than what's currently, supposidely, in the soil at whatever depth, with whatever cover with whatever meausrement and computation system.
When compared with precipitation and other data helps determine whether the next rain will cause the creek to rise... or the crawl space to 'flood'... or a drought may be imminent
...such entities as Drought.gov NIDIS... use this data from the ETo gage stations.
https://www.drought.gov/drought/news/water-balance-and-evapotranspiration-spatial-maps-now-available
https://mrcc.illinois.edu/cliwatch/drought/drought.jsp#evap

see attachments
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 10:08:01 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline pertman

• Data on Wunderground
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 10:38:56 AM »
Thanks all for the input!  [tup]

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 01:06:52 PM »
An interesting WX sector. All I have is recalling some fascinating visual evapotranspiration events I once enjoyed watching.
The location is in a frequently arid, often hot, region of Deep South Texas, the area near a historically important place called "El Sal Del Rey, and nearby La Sal Vieja" [The King's Salt, The Old Salt], close to Linn-San Manuel; and about twenty miles west of Raymondville, twenty miles north of Edinburg, on the edge of the famous King and Yturria ranches [not the same King].

It could be blistering hot, >100degF, for weeks on end, with an occasional sea breeze shower. There were many pans, or dried up tanks/ponds around, with scattered mesquite, prickly pear, and cotton and sorghum fields.
The pans would sit there baking, then a downpour would pass by and partially fill them with rainwater. Within 10-15 minutes of the storm/rain clouds moving on, the blazing hot sun would have dense fog-like 'clouds' of transpired water rising from the ground up into the sky and forming actual clouds higher up at the condensing level [1500-2000'].
I never got tired of watching that WX phenomena [I sometimes worked there]. Of course you can see almost the same process at work elsewhere sometimes, and out on our bays and the Gulf, but it's more diffuse, hazy than with those tanks; it was more like smoke from a fire there.

It's listed as #5 [El_Sal_Del_Rey_Archeological_District] on this "National Register of Historic Places listings in Hidalgo County, Texas", used to have a Wikipedia page, now missing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Register_of_Historic_Places_listings
Geo:
https://tools.wmflabs.org/geohack/geohack.php?pagename=National_Register_of_Historic_Places_listings_in_Hidalgo_County,_Texas&params=26.5379_N_98.0566_W_&title=El+Sal+Del+Rey+Archeological+District