Author Topic: My Acurite 5 in 1  (Read 22129 times)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: My Acurite 5 in 1
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2014, 04:53:54 PM »
It does swing around a lot - indicative of swirling winds.  You should look for a better spot to mount it.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2014, 05:05:45 PM »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2014, 05:25:05 PM »
It does swing around a lot - indicative of swirling winds.  You should look for a better spot to mount it.

So you think it's where I have it located? I could try to move the unit to the other side of the yard, but there really isn't anywhere that doesn't have a tall trees nearby.

OK, moved it across the yard in a bucket of dirt to test. It's 10 ft high. Still seems to be spinning... Might need to figure out how to slow down the drive.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 05:50:46 PM by DoctorKnow »

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2014, 07:58:55 PM »
Someone on the AcuRite forum added a couple of strands of knitting yarn to the broad side of the vane and said it helped.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2014, 09:21:43 PM »
Someone on the AcuRite forum added a couple of strands of knitting yarn to the broad side of the vane and said it helped.

I actually added a piece of metal about 5 inches long to the tail of the vain. It's positioned vertically. Seems to have helped some and weighed it down a bit. The metal was from a UHF yagi antenna boom element. I'll see what tomorrow brings...

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2014, 01:53:08 PM »
I've installed the 5n1 back in it's original place with the metal taped to the weather vane. The vane seems to have settled down some. It's been up for 2 hrs, so by days end it should really tell whether it's made any difference on the graph of wunder. The vane was very brittle and I cracked it a little, but it's OK for now. I am for sure ordering me an Ambient ws-280 when they come in. I would order a weather wise, but they have an "F" on BBB.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2014, 10:39:01 AM »
I've just about talked myself into trying a raspberry pi, since I have my 5 in 1 working better than I could have ever imagined, but I have no idea how to write code. I hope I can make sense of the instructions that others have made available. It's all new to me. The pi seems like a really nice solution, at a low cost, and will send my information to the channels I want to share with. What I do understand is that I plug the ethernet from the acurite  bridge into the pi, and then I guess use a wireless antenna (dongle?) to make the connection to the internet from my router. I have one of those. This is after I install all the code and downloads. I wondered if I could also use the USB of the pi to the USB on my router, as it has a USB port.

Now to program the pi for weewx, and the tcp downloads, do I just hook the USB up to my Windows PC, or do I use ethernet from my router to the pi and hook up to my HDTV so I can see what I'm doing. Also I assume I need to hook up the keyboard I use for the Dell Windows.

I want to understand the basics as much as I can before I order something. Also I like the fact that the pi can be used with other wx stations if I decide to ever change.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2014, 12:30:33 AM »
I've installed the 5n1 back in it's original place with the metal taped to the weather vane. The vane seems to have settled down some. It's been up for 2 hrs, so by days end it should really tell whether it's made any difference on the graph of wunder. The vane was very brittle and I cracked it a little, but it's OK for now. I am for sure ordering me an Ambient ws-280 when they come in. I would order a weather wise, but they have an "F" on BBB.

I've been thinking about the dampening thing a bit.  Tomorrow I will try a couple of neodynium magnets on the vane.  Maybe the extra weight will dampen the swinging motion? 
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2014, 12:35:00 AM »
Couldn't wait.   Well whaddya know?  A couple of magnets (one on either side at the lowest point of the vane) DO dampen the swinging!  Might try a few different sizes to see what works best, but the 5/16" (x1/8") are on there now and have slowed the vane but still allow wind to move it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 12:39:57 AM by Bushman »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2014, 08:45:17 AM »
The vane is way too loose. If we could tighten the drive on the inside, but I am not going to attempt that. Glad you found an easy way. I may have to find some magnets. :lol:

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2014, 05:18:18 PM »
FYI, with the notes on my site you can simply substitute a wireless dongle for a wired one if you need it.  No big deal.

Would you mind sharing the /etc/network/interfaces file that does this?  Maybe I was over-thinking it, but I couldn't get an IP address after making what I thought were the appropriate changes to bridge wlan0 and eth0.  I have locked myself out from ssh access three times now, and the novelty of going back to the TV for console access has worn off.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2014, 07:23:03 PM »
Would you mind sharing the /etc/network/interfaces file that does this?  Maybe I was over-thinking it, but I couldn't get an IP address after making what I thought were the appropriate changes to bridge wlan0 and eth0.  I have locked myself out from ssh access three times now, and the novelty of going back to the TV for console access has worn off.....

This is what I'm using:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ cat /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface default inet dhcp

iface eth0 inet manual
iface eth1 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual

auto br0
iface br0 inet dhcp
        bridge_ports wlan0 eth0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_maxwait 5

wpa-iface wlan0
wpa-bridge br0
wpa-driver wext
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2014, 08:54:03 AM »
Thanks, George.  Mine looked pretty much the same, minus the WPA stuff (that I'm using on my AP).  Unfortunately, it still does not work after I enable bridge mode and reboot.  It doesn't get an IP address via DHCP or when specified manually in the config file, and doesn't talk to anyone but itself once I set an IP address at the console. :(    I think that I may just buy a supported USB-to-ethernet adapter, since I am not a fan of the 2.4Ghz-only adapters that are supported with these embedded computers anyway.....

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »
Thanks, George.  Mine looked pretty much the same, minus the WPA stuff (that I'm using on my AP).  Unfortunately, it still does not work after I enable bridge mode and reboot.  It doesn't get an IP address via DHCP or when specified manually in the config file, and doesn't talk to anyone but itself once I set an IP address at the console. :(    I think that I may just buy a supported USB-to-ethernet adapter, since I am not a fan of the 2.4Ghz-only adapters that are supported with these embedded computers anyway.....

This is the wireless dongle I use, but it's only 2.4Ghz.  It doesn't need extra power like some of the others.

http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7811Un-Adapter-Raspberry-Supports/dp/B003MTTJOY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-1&keywords=raspberry+pi+wireless

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2014, 05:42:38 PM »
The adapter that I have has the same Realtek 8188CU chipset as that one, and is working fine until I try to enable bridge mode.  It seems to be something with associating to the AP when bridge mode is on, and I'm not going to troubleshoot it any further.

After thinking about the dependency on MBW connectivity still being present when using any of the packet-sniffing solutions to intercept the bridge traffic, I just downloaded MeteoHub and burned it onto microSD.  My old 1035 USB console connected directly to the (borrowed) Pi B+, without a USB hub or anything other than setting it in USB mode 3.  If it proves stable, I'll have to buy a Pi and use it to feed the 5-in-1 data directly to WU, while leaving the bridge feeding the same 5-in-1 data and my indoor "tower" sensors to MBW for backup and alerting.

I was thinking about making a captive portal on the wired port of the Pi and faking MBW responses to the bridge, but writing the check to buy MeteoHub makes sense right now considering my limited play time to re-invent the wheel.....

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2014, 06:32:18 PM »
After thinking about the dependency on MBW connectivity still being present when using any of the packet-sniffing solutions to intercept the bridge traffic...

There's no real dependency on MBW connectivity.  At least not in the short term.   If the internet connection goes down during a storm, for example, the Pi keeps on collecting data from the bridge.  I can then "play back" that data gathered when off-line to wunderground.

I suspect there might be a time when the bridge stops sending if it doesn't get a response back from MBW, but I haven't been able to nail that down.  MBW sends back little more than an "OK" which is easy to simulate occasionally, though. 

"Playing back" to MBW isn't as useful as the bridge conversation doesn't include time stamps.  The consoles can hold and forward data, though, so there must be some sort of time command in there somewhere.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2014, 10:20:17 AM »
I have everything working well these days except for the weather vane. It keeps going back to the south and sitting there when the wind is low. It takes gusts to get it moving. It's pretty much worthless. I am thinking of trying to trim some of the middle section out and leaving the back side long, so that the wind can get a grip on it more than the middle and maybe it will take the weight away from the wrong places. Why would it keep going back to the south on it's own?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2014, 01:25:28 PM »
You would think so, and so did I but it is level. I may have to change the magnets I put on there to a different position. I just wish I could tame the thing down so it won't be all over the place.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2015, 06:07:45 PM »
I pondered and pondered, and now I've taken the plunge and ordered another acurite. The dual panel. I also saw that it has a screw for oiling the wind bearing now. I really would like to have all the instruments separate, but I am too impatient to wait for Ambient, and the price was right. I couldn't find a better deal... I also didn't have a coating of sealant on my old hygro sensor and I understand these newer units are supposed to be protected from moisture? We get a lot of wind and horizontal rains in the Eastern Carolinas.

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2015, 09:26:36 PM »
After being without a PWS for about 4 years because of my HOA where we moved to, I'm excited to say I just ordered a new 5 in 1 last week.  Then, over the weekend, I ordered a second temp/hydro sensor and the dual solar panel to go with it.  Hopefully everything arrives this week. 

I found the perfect place to mount it....on top of our no longer used dish network satellite dish on the roof.  You can always find ways around HOA restrictions :)
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2015, 09:32:34 AM »
Its taken a week for my order to arrive, but I should get it this morning. I hope to get it installed late today if the rain stops long enough. The acurite website is rather confusing. You have to be real careful about which package you order. The pictures are not real clear as to whether or not it contains a single or dual panel system. They call the dual panel "Environment pro"
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 09:34:34 AM by DoctorKnow »

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2015, 11:17:25 AM »
Its taken a week for my order to arrive, but I should get it this morning. I hope to get it installed late today if the rain stops long enough. The acurite website is rather confusing. You have to be real careful about which package you order. The pictures are not real clear as to whether or not it contains a single or dual panel system. They call the dual panel "Environment pro"

Mine was ordered last Friday, and even though I paid for the FedEx Home Delivery which says "Two Days", I'm not expecting it any earlier than Friday of this week.  This 5 in 1 will be replacing my old Oregon Scientific WMR200a which I ran for a few years, and really enjoyed.  After proper placement and a few modifications, it was a great station.  I'm only hoping for the same accuracy with the 5 in 1.  My only concern is the temperature spikes some some to have, and even have more after "upgrading" to the dual solar panels.  Mine will be mounted on top of our old satellite dish which is on the roof of our home, but on a corner edge of the roof.  Hopefully I don't get too much heat radiating.

Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2015, 01:57:27 PM »
My dual panel new unit is installed in a temp. location about 10 ft high. It is raining. We aren't supposed to see sun until Friday. I guess I'll wait till then to see how the fan runs. They did not send any directions other than a pamphlet showing a basic install guide. No mention of the oil port. It does tell you to remove the plastic piece in the rain guage bottom. The first unit I had never mentioned this step in it's directions, so it's good to see that they are now explaining that. I also bought the $30 display. No directions at all for it. It does seem to be a nice console and easy to read with big numbers.

Offline Motobob

« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2015, 02:59:03 PM »
I have had mine installed 4 months now and I am pleased with it's performance and accuracy.  Story here:

http://whitespider.broeking.com/?p=1956

Bob

anything