Author Topic: Acurite 01540m excesive internet bsndwidth usage  (Read 1375 times)

Offline kurtybrew

Acurite 01540m excesive internet bsndwidth usage
« on: January 05, 2019, 08:55:10 PM »
I recently purchased an AcuRite weather station. It's model number 01540M.  After struggling to get it to go online and connect to weatherunderground, I discovered that I was using about 300 megabytes of bandwidth per day. As this is installed in a remote location on a farm, I am using a cell phone that has five gigabytes of data available to it per month. To my chagrin, I used about 9 1/2 gigabytes and was penalized for it. I talked to AcuRite and they claim that should only be using a maximum of 15 megabytes per day. Has anyone else run into the same problem. Does anyone have a solution to limit data through a cell phone. The weather station is up and running again but still consuming a lot of bandwidth.  The cell phone is acting as a hotspot to the AcuRite weather station console. Thanks
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 09:06:16 PM by kurtybrew »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Acurite 01540m excesive internet bsndwidth usage
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 09:14:07 PM »
I recently purchased an AcuRite weather station. It's model number 01540M.  After struggling to get it to go online and connect to weatherunderground, I discovered that I was using about 300 megabits of bandwidth per day. As this is installed in a remote location on a farm, I am using a cell phone that has five gigabytes of data available to it per month. To my chagrin, I used about 9 1/2 gigabits and was penalized for it. I talked to AcuRite and they claim that should only be using a maximum of 15 megabits per day. Has anyone else run into the same problem. Does anyone have a solution limit data through a cell phone. The weather station is up and running again but still consuming a lot of bandwidth.  The cell phone is acting as a hotspot to the AcuRite weather station console. Thanks

I'm assuming this in the wunderground-only WiFi display?

That's an incredible amount of data.  The wunderground protocol should be sending data every 18 seconds.  Those numbers suggest you might be constantly streaming audio or something.

How have you verified that's how much the display is actually sending?

Can you tell if that amount of data is being sent or received?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 09:15:45 PM by nincehelser »

Offline kurtybrew

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 09:47:26 PM »
My cell provider gives me data usage info.  That's how I've been tracking it.   I took the weather station offline at the first of the month.  I've had zero data usage in the last 4 days.  I reconnected the weather station at 11am this morning and by 4pm I had already accumulated .05 Gb of data.  That roughly equates to a quarter of a Gig a day.  That tracks to my estimated 300 Mb/day I was using last month.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 08:26:17 AM »
That is too much data! What could the Access be doing to draw that much? I thought it was supposed to be uploading, not downloading?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 09:29:46 AM »
That is too much data! What could the Access be doing to draw that much? I thought it was supposed to be uploading, not downloading?

There's no Access is this scenario.  It's one of the new 5n1 WiFi displays that uploads to wunderground itself.

I'm not positive on this model, but some download forecasts from DarkSky.  Still, that doesn't come close to accounting for this much data.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 09:35:31 AM »
It doesn't seem to be one of the Dark Sky forecasting models.

https://www.acurite.com/pro-5-in-1-weather-station-with-wifi.html

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 11:34:14 AM »

There's no Access is this scenario.  It's one of the new 5n1 WiFi displays that uploads to wunderground itself.

I'm not positive on this model, but some download forecasts from DarkSky.  Still, that doesn't come close to accounting for this much data.

Very odd. Again, what could this display be trying to download? Uploading should not be anywhere close to what is actually occurring here.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 11:56:46 AM »

Very odd. Again, what could this display be trying to download? Uploading should not be anywhere close to what is actually occurring here.

The display shouldn't be downloading anything.  The bulk of the incoming data should be "success" messages from wunderground.

About all I can think to do to resolve this is to get with the carrier and see what's happening on the technical side (i.e. not billing).  Perhaps something is misconfigured in their network.  Or maybe the billing system is screwed up (I've had that happen before). 

I'm stumped.