Author Topic: Weather Underground NWS Streaming Project  (Read 118966 times)

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
Re: Weather Underground NWS Streaming Project
« Reply #275 on: March 23, 2012, 12:12:46 PM »
all my passwords are correct and all my info match wu. Dont know why i cant connect to socket on oddcast.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #276 on: March 23, 2012, 02:11:04 PM »
Got it working with scannercast and Im on the link that you sent but my wu account says not active. Also when i mute the line it and try to play it it wont play. How do you continue the broadcast but keep it silent?

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #277 on: March 24, 2012, 01:26:49 PM »
Need to use this on laptop instead of desktop. Only reason is laptop is on 24/7 and desktop cannot be. I go through the microphone on laptop? Is this correct?  Thank you

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #278 on: March 24, 2012, 04:50:39 PM »
Anyone?

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #279 on: March 24, 2012, 04:52:15 PM »
Anyone that is streaming NOAA radio with a laptop please explain how it's done. Thanks

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #280 on: March 24, 2012, 05:51:41 PM »
Need to use this on laptop instead of desktop. Only reason is laptop is on 24/7 and desktop cannot be. I go through the microphone on laptop? Is this correct?  Thank you

That is correct.  Use the microphone jack unless you happen to have a "line in" jack. 

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #281 on: March 24, 2012, 07:19:15 PM »
By going through the microphone jack do u have to have the radio blaring?  Don't know how to set it up using the mic jack. Tried for 3 hours and couldn't get sound out of laptop speakers. The last straw is near.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline linuxfreak

• Hamilton Central Mountain Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • Wink, wink!
    • Hamilton Central Mountain Weather
« Reply #282 on: March 28, 2012, 09:03:53 PM »
My radio mutes the internal speaker when the cable is plugged in, I then use the "line in" unmuted in the Windows mixer to set the level so it isn't distorted on the pc speakers, then I just mute the "line in" on the "output" side of the mixer. I'm using a mono plug on the radio end of the cable to stereo on the pc end. As for the software, ScannerCast, works like a champ, I set my bitrate to 24k, sounds the best for me.

Radio is an old Radio Shack Realistic PRO-59 scanner, previous owner added a bnc jack instead of the standard Motorola jack (car radio type) for the antenna, made a groundplane antenna from 4 stainless steel TIG welding rods, an SO-239 chassis connector and a small corner bracket for mounting. Grabbed a pack of kids plastic beads to add to the ends of the rods in case someone would walk into them, don't need anyone getting skewered!  #-o

Can't wait to get the antenna up in the air on the anemometer mast by summer, but already beats the stupid back of set antenna the other scanner had for reception.  ;)

George

George
Davis VP2/FARS, VVP, WD, WL, WSWin, Cumulus, NexStorm, StrikeStar, NSLog, XPort(GPS), WASP2, DigitalAtmosphere, ScannerCast(WUradio), Intel Atom N330 dual-core, 2Gig ram, Windows XP Home SP3  #-o
CWOP - DW3112, PWS & WU - IONHAMIL2, AWEKAS - 5112, COWN, WML - WD01901

Offline fadiaz

• Frank's Weather Station
« Reply #283 on: April 27, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks to this thread (and a cold that is keeping me at home) I finally motivated and decided to stream the weather radio of my area to Weather Underground.

I must say that I have successfully done this project.  I am of now streaming the audio of the local NOAA Weather Radio thru weather underground servers.  This will probably be a part time stream for the moment, since I am using my Ham Radio Transceiver extended receive capacity to hear the NOAA Weather Station.  Now comes the part of finding either a donated scanner or a very affordable weather radio with audio out jack to do a more permanent stream.

I must say that this thread was very helpful, besides the  motivation part.  I had trouble making the stream work with Edcast.  All configuration was fine.  Radio was receiving the signal.  Cable connection between the PC and the radio was fine (I could hear the radio in the PC speakers if I set the computer to sound in speakers any sound that came in the Line-In).  Edcast appeared to be transmitting and Weather Underground would mark the station as Active.  But the player will play no sound for my station (other stations sounded fine).

But thanks to this thread, I found the reference to ScannerCast.  I tried scannercast and it worked very well.  I do have an error every time I start the stream, but it seems not to affect the stream.  It is an "object reference not set to an instance of an object" warning error, but hitting OK, the program continues and stream fine.

Maybe later I will work again with edcast to see if I can find why the stream was not sounding.  Also maybe later I will try to add a second USB sound card just for the streaming, since I already have a usb soundcard for the NOAA APT images (hmmm  could I put 2 equal usb sound cards and both work in windows?, I know different chip sound cards do work)

Thanks again for this thread...    :grin:

Francisco

Offline ed2kayak

• Ed
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro2 w/12 hr FARS, solar/uv
    • Cumberland Valley Weather
« Reply #284 on: March 11, 2014, 04:56:13 PM »
Sorry to post on old thread,

Got the stream working here: http://audiostream.wunderground.com/ed2kayak/Mechanicsburg.mp3

But now looking for a station id to use. I read it somewhere yesterday, searched a hour today but can't find.

Thanks
Ed
CoCoRaHS PA-CD-6,  Weather Underground KPAMECHA7, CWOP DW5425